Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-05-09, 12:23 PM   #1
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Default Winter War LeLv24 AAR

30/11/1939 07:00

Blasted Russkies! Now they've done it! We just received news that our dear eastern neighbour has launched full scale bombing operations against us!

Forward observers at Kivennapa saw two big bomber formations headed for NW, possibly to the airfield at Suulajärvi.

Orders to take off and intercept.

I flew as the #4 on our flight of 4 Brewsters ready to take on anything the russians could throw us. Wouldnt mind some helping hand tho, if the information is correct, we are facing 20+ bombers.. that is, if we can find them.

We climbed to 4000 meters and headed for Suulajärvi.

At roughly 07:12, #2 spotted the big formation, flying west on our 2 O'clock high at around 4700 meters. We immediately paired up and started to climb to get above them. The size of the bombers made it hard to keep track of the distance between us, causing us to be only 150 meters higher than them when we reached them.

We started to receive fire from the gunners, positioned on top of the fuselage of the bomber (now identified as SB-2). Change of plan, I rolled over and dived under and dropped behind the 2nd formation, away from their gunners. I chose my target, the leftmost bomber. Gently pulling up, I carefully lined up just so that the gunner couldnt reach me and fired all my guns to the bombers right engine, which caught on fire after 1-2sec of constant fire. Bomber started to lose height rapidly and went to a deep dive. (07:14, claimed as kill)

I quickly rolled and headed back down, below the bomber stream. I picked my next target, the rightmost of the 2nd formation. Same plan as before, came from under it and aimed at the engine. The first burst hit the right engine, which spat thick black smoke before stopping completely. The second burst struck the bomber to the fuselage, either I hit the pilot or control cables as the bomber rolled to it's back and spiraled down. (07:15, claimed as kill)

At the time of my second kill, we were joined by a flight of Fiats. The russians started to show some desperation as they tried to dogfight with their SB2s, losing the little speed they had in process. One such fool was my third target. In my 11oc, I saw a SB2 firing and trying to follow an Fiat that just downed a bomber in front of it. I was on climb at the time, but as the bomber maneuvered, it lost it's speed advantage allowing me to catch up on it quickly. I struck it as it was banking to left, peppering the both wings and fuselage. Something broke off from the tail section and the plane went to a steep dive. (07:16, claimed as kill)

On my left, only ~200m away was another SB2, quick bank and climb to lose speed and get behind it. As usual, attacked from below & behind, struck both it's wings, visible fuel leaks but no signs of critical damage. I was out of ammo, time to head home.

Later, I heard the total numbers of the attack. 15 enemy planes downed with one own Fiat lost. Also heard I was recommended for the Cross of Freedom 2nd class.

Last edited by Dowly; 01-05-09 at 02:11 PM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 12:25 PM   #2
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Nice AAR

Otoh, what the hell are the Brewsters doing there? I should say they're a few months early.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 12:31 PM   #3
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Dont know. They've always been on the Winter War campaign. Tho, I dont mind at all. Wouldnt want to climb to ~5000m with a J8A.
Old 01-05-09, 02:07 PM   #4
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Nice report.

BTW his smartassness remarks:
I think you shot down 15 bombers not fighters.
Old 01-05-09, 02:33 PM   #5
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Pfft, aircraft losses are insignificant, the Russkis can replace them easily and the pilots aren't worth very much either, what you need to do is interdict the vodka supply and the war will surely be won
Old 01-05-09, 04:21 PM   #6
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
Pfft, aircraft losses are insignificant, the Russkis can replace them easily and the pilots aren't worth very much either, what you need to do is interdict the vodka supply and the war will surely be won
In other words, just send Dowly to the other side and everything should be wrapped up by noon
Old 01-06-09, 03:09 PM   #7
Dowly
Lucky Jack

1/12/1939 15:00

I was reading the paper when I heard the phone ringing in the airfield HQ, shortly after a man appeared to the door and started yelling almost panic-like. I only heard the words "russkies" and "dozens". My flight leader waved at me to hop in to my Brewster. After take off, I heard the captain over radio, explaining the situation; three formations of Russian planes were spotted NW of our field, suspected to head for Hämeenkylä.

We took heading to Hämeenkylä and leveled off at 2500 meters. We didnt have to look them for long, at around 15:10, I spotted a dark dot on the horizon, then another and another, soon the horizon was black of them (shortly after identified as SB-2 bombers). They flew from west to east, we were on their right flank. The radio crackled as the captain gave orders to pair up, #2 and #3 climbed and attacked from above, captain and me went for their sides.

I picked the #2 of the lead formation to attack, I came at it from it's 4oc, peppering the side of the fuselage and it's right wing. Immediately as it was hit, it went to a dive, hoping to loose me. I followed and spent way too much ammunition trying to hit it as it crossed my sights briefly. I pulled the stick and headed for the clouds to get the situation back to my control. Now 400 meters below me, I saw my prey, badly wounded by my first strike. White streams coming from both wings and right engine looking like it's going to give up any second. What the hell, it still could make it back! I did the familiar move of rolling to my back and diving in. Ow god how fast it's closing! I fired and quickly pulled to left to avoid slamming in it. Now, where did he go.. I couldnt see him on the spot he was just few seconds ago. I rolled to my right wing and scanned below me. There it was! Going straight towards the ground. With a quick glance, I couldnt see any additional damage, maybe I hit the cockpit?

I was now at 800 meters with the battle raging high above me. Luckily for me, I spotted a lone SB-2 flying at roughly 900 meters at my 7oc. I climbed above him and started the chase. Dang those bombers are fast! My Brewster had to really push it to catch the SB2. Once I got near it, I dived from behind and struck it's right wing and top part of the fuselage. The SB2 banked abit and started losing altitude very fast. The right engine was definitely out that much I saw before it crashed to the woods below.

At this point, I was way too far from the bombers to catch them. Me at 900m, the bombers at 2000+ meters. I turned back home.

A short distance away from home, I came upon a sight I had never seen during the war time; russian fighters. I remember being told to check the nose, if it's black, shoot it. Now I had three black nosed planes in front of me and I sure as heck wasnt thinking of not doing what the instructor had said!

I quickly catched up with them, they were flying in formation at ~300km/h. Again, #2 of the formation was my target, I lined up and pulled the trigger. I couldnt believe it. I had forgotten to keep track of my ammo! A short, maybe 3-6 round burst hit the I-16 to it's fuselage, then nothing, my guns were lifeless. I yanked the stick like a madman to roll around and dive. I dived all the way to 30 meters before I closed the radiators and headed for home at full speed. I think the russian was as astounded as I was on that moment, no one followed me.

15 enemy planes downed with one Brewster destroyed at airfield. Awarded with the Cross of Freedom, 1st class.
Old 01-06-09, 03:19 PM   #8
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Sooooo, what campaign is this.:hmm: BTW good show dowly.
Old 01-06-09, 03:19 PM   #9
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force
Sooooo, what campaign is this.:hmm: BTW good show dowly.
Winter War...?
Old 01-06-09, 03:21 PM   #10
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

The one that came with Il-2?
Old 01-06-09, 03:22 PM   #11
Dowly
Lucky Jack

DCG one.
Old 01-06-09, 03:31 PM   #12
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Interest level must have jumped from 0.01 to 0.02 eh! Dowly

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 03:32 PM   #13
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Going back to 0.01 in abit. Where's the darn fighters?!
Old 01-06-09, 03:39 PM   #14
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Who needs fighters? The Reds can just push the bombers into the meatgrinder until you run out of bullets and have enough to spare to bomb the hell out of whatever it is they want
Old 01-06-09, 03:42 PM   #15
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Who needs fighters? The Reds can just push the bombers into the meatgrinder until you run out of bullets and have enough to spare to bomb the hell out of whatever it is they want
I need them. Or give me bombers that can shoot to different angles as the SB2 cant shoot directly behind it. Not very fun just sit on the arses of the bombers whole mission, having a wank with one hand and shooting them down with the other. Booooriiing.