SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-18, 10:27 AM   #61
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Sorry... I just dropped an edit in my previous post which has crossed with your reply. Okay, well so long as I can run it in DirectX 9...
Old 05-19-18, 10:50 AM   #62
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

First, I will say that I have a fast box. I build 'em myself and it's usually mostly up to date. I did not have performance issues playing Misery aside from occasional crashes. Your mileage may vary, just have to try it and see. There are various tweaks that can be done to improve things a little. It's free so nothing ventured, nothing gained. I hope it runs well for you. I've been trying to get you to try it for 5 years now and I feel we are almost there lol

Misery IS more demanding than vanilla, no two ways about it. Your system, depending on what's in it, may struggle.

Now, about that thread you linked to. My initial reaction is that here is a case of a mod not being suited to the player. It's like buying a coupe and then complaining to everyone how it's not a convertible.

Misery is challenging, make no mistake. If you read my thread at SimHQ I made a comment about how the mod is difficult for difficulty's sake. Folks who crave 'balance' in their game, whatever that may entail, will probably be driven mad by Misery. For some, it's an awesome Stalker experience. For others, it's an exercise in frustration with a heaping helping of rage for good measure.

Each player will react in their own way. But the developers had a vision of how they wanted it to be. That doesn't stop folks slagging it because they want it to be their way. Well, too bad, make your own mod
Old 05-19-18, 10:52 AM   #63
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Okay, I'm on the ModDB page and it first of all says: "Location:Games:STALKER:Call of Pripyat, etc etc".... this isn't going to get loaded straight into my game folder, is it? Ony my game's not in that location, and I was expecting to be getting a zip file anyway, no?
Old 05-19-18, 11:02 AM   #64
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Here are the instructions from their web page

Installation instructions
The overwhelming number of potential problems reported are related to installations. The German Beta has some flaws we missed (you might want to wait for the translators to catch up, some things can cause crashes). The following are stalker proof installation procedures:
  • Uninstall any mods from the past
  • Uninstall the game
  • Delete the entire folder your old COP installation was in
  • Reinstall the game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP)
  • Start the game – configure best for your system – save once (make sure it is running smoothly)
  • Unpack the mod, Please use 7zip to avoid any chance of file corruption during unpacking.
  • Right-click on the MISERY setup.exe and run as administrator
  • Choose your options
  • Pay attention to the note at the end
  • Start a new game
You DO NOT need to edit any files to enable the mod. We want you to be miserable playing, but not with unplanned installation complications. Skipping any step (verifying your game cache in Steam is NOT the same as reinstalling – it will leave dregs of former installations which can cause problems) will dramatically ruin your experience. Note: If you use steam, permissions on the .exe GSC made in July will make removing the old .exe impossible until your close steam and reboot your computer) then you can remove it so the installation goes smoothly.

If you have further questions let me know. If you have any questions about the install options that come up please let me know that as well.
Old 05-19-18, 11:27 AM   #65
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks, Threadfin... what can possibly go wrong?
Old 05-19-18, 11:37 AM   #66
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Well, you could get eaten by a boar, or sucked in to a gravity anomaly, or shot by a merc, or caught in an emission or.... err, right, right, what could go wrong?

You're a veteran player, and you know the Zaton area well, correct? You will be dropped in the area in a random location with very little map info to help find your way. You want to hightail it to the Skadorvsk. Don't look back. Keep going (and reloading) until you make it. Then you're ready to get going.

I always choose sniper class for what it's worth.

Did you read my SimHQ thread? Asking because I don't want to repeat stuff you've already read. But be sure to avoid quick saves. I use a 4-file rolling manual save in Misery.
Old 05-19-18, 12:46 PM   #67
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Well... after 45 mins downloading it says "File failed".... I'll give it another go later. Yes I know the Zaton area like it was my own neighbourhood, and I'd already read somewhere that you're lucky even to reach the Skadovsk alive in Misery... so I was already pondering the route least likely to put me in harms way.

I'll go over to SimHQ right now...

Edit: Okay I've bookmarked that now and I look forward to following your adventures; where did you make your 'home' if you don't mind me asking? And what made it such a good spot from which to operate? I think I stand to benefit from your diaries, since I also tend to think strategically: I'm the guy who trudges over mile after mile of difficult ground in order to get around a well dug-in enemy so I can come from behind and kick him spectacularly in the arse... job done... rather than spend hours trying to snipe him out

I note what what you say about CoC, so if I don't succeed in downloading Misery then that would be my next choice, going by what you and others have written. I like that it's standalone too.

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 05-19-18 at 01:35 PM.
Eichhörnchen is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-18, 02:33 PM   #68
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Just so you know I haven't played in months, and the diary is no longer being updated. I've been back in to Elite Dangerous the past couple of months.

My home was the second deck on the Skadovsk. This is easily the best choice in Zaton. In Jupiter I used Zulu's tower, but the stash box is in Jupiter Station in the basement.

I like the Skadovsk because it has everything you need. Beard and Owl, plus the medic guy (for a while anyway) plus Cardan to do weapons. It has the stash box plus beds in the next room, and Nimble is here for custom weapons like the Alpine I bought. You can also use the upper decks to snipe enemies sometimes. In that SimHQ thread I put up some shots of long range kills and these were taken from the main deck.

It's close to the Shevchenko which is the spot I found the most action. It's just a 5-minute patrol out to the Ranger Station.

My 'hide' was on the hill that sort of sticks out between the Shevchencko and the Cranes. There's a tree there and some bushes. The shot of me twirling the Alpine was taken from this location. When the weather is clear, you can see out over half of the map from here, including the whole swamp area. You will see some really cool stuff going on from here. NPC firefights, mutant brawls, and more. Great spot. When the fog and rain close in though it's not nearly as good. The Shevchenko is a destination for patrol routes for all factions, and there is lots of action around that ship.

Last edited by Threadfin; 05-19-18 at 02:46 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-18, 03:20 PM   #69
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Call of Chernobyl

So it looks like (reading ModDB) the latest version of this is still 1.4.12 with the 1.4.22 patch?
Old 05-19-18, 04:50 PM   #70
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

No, unless I'm misunderstanding that was from 2012 or so. 2.2 is the latest. Are we still talking about Misery?

Try getting it here

http://themiserymod.com/
Old 05-19-18, 04:54 PM   #71
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Oh, I see the CoC header you wrote. Yes, maybe, not sure. Haven't played it since December or so.

It's cool, and has lots of potential, but in the end I found it too much. The concept is great. But there's very little hobo phase if that matters. You'll be swimming in it within a few hours. But the free-form gameplay is cool and it is full of action right from the getgo.

There's also a Call of Misery which is exactly what it sounds like. I have yet to try that though.

Edit: I just looked at my CoC install and that's the version I am on. Of course, this information does not have anything to do with whether it's the latest version. So not sure why I posted this

Last edited by Threadfin; 05-19-18 at 05:03 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-18, 02:08 AM   #72
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Well it seems that it is the latest; I can't find anything more recent. And yes, I take the point about it not being challenging.

Looks like it might be going to take me another five years
Old 05-20-18, 05:03 AM   #73
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Tried to download again, Threadfin... this time from the link you provided. Still a no go I'm afraid... "Failed-File incomplete" it says. Looks as though I won't be joining you in your misery after all, mate.

I'll try downloading CoC instead
Old 05-20-18, 07:15 AM   #74
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Nope... no dice with CoC either, same message... "File Failed". Am I supposed to turn off my firewall for this I wonder, cos that ain't gonna happen. But I downloaded Clear Skies from Gog with no hitches, and this thing was downloading happily for about 2 hours before it packed up.

By the by, I've had this link hanging around on my desktop for ages since it's such an interesting article... I think maybe you ought to join this lot if you're looking for the real experience:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...yl_s_dead.html

I'll try one or two times more, but anyways thanks for all your help over the past 5 years lol

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 05-20-18 at 09:20 AM.
Eichhörnchen is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-18, 09:58 AM   #75
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Too bad you're having troubles. Can't say what you need to do, but I would imagine the trouble is on your end if you cannot download either mod.

I hope you work it out because it would be a shame if you didn't have a chance to at least try it and see what you think.

It could be your ISP or something like that. I would try a different browser. And clear cache and cookies

Are you on Chrome by any chance?