SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-26-08, 02:49 AM   #31
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The manual states that 1 second=1 hour in high time compression (Transit mode). That's 3600x TC
Old 10-26-08, 10:11 AM   #32
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Alright maybe that explains the feeling of an 80's arcade game! I had gotten used to SC and DW max of 64X.

So, this game will be more like a flight simulator than SC/DW? Meaning will it drop me out of TC and throw me into battle mode when hostiles are nearby or will I simply get "Sir, we've been hit! We're going down!"?

I admit jumping to WWIII in advance of just doing the tutorials, but I wanted to make sure I have it all properly configured first.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-08, 11:13 AM   #33
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
I had gotten used to SC and DW max of 64X
Ain't SC limited to 16x and DW to 32x (By manually editing the ini file)??
Old 10-26-08, 11:34 AM   #34
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

I am pretty sure SC was 64X and DW may have been less. Mainly played the former, but both are now archived to tape and not on disk.

The problem was that one often had choose between TC on long transit or legs and risk destruction, or go at 1X and risk boredom.

I used to try sprint and drift with TC 1X drifting and listening and then TC MAX when sprinting. Since you couldn't do your own NB sweeps in TC, I would either turn on the AI or watch the BB at TC MAX. However, that still was less than optimal, since by the time you see it on BB, you could have had it on NB five minutes earlier. The difference between life and death!

Now, in that regard using TC, the Soviet FRAZ was superior, since you could visual monitor the full range of low frequency NB all at once. However, the Soviet passive sonar was modeled less sensitive and TA drop out speed was modeled at a much lower speed. So, it was easier to run at TC, but in any case you didn't hear as much.

It was interesting in reading RSR manual that it talked about the Seawolf having swim out torps and not creating launch transients. Of course SC/DW model launch transients for all boats. They show up on the BB as sudden flat pancake shape of noise. (Always bothered me that the AI never reported these only TIW, the sound of a torpedo screw in the water.) The RSR manual stated that with subrocs you would have no early warning, since the launch transient would be too distant to pick up. Well, in SC/DW you get transient, but it almost like that, since the AI won't anounce until the fish is in the water.

The real problem with transients in SC/DW is without the announcement, you have to be lucky enough watching BB. This gives you only 30 seconds to spot it on STA. However, myself when I have a distant POSSUB, I end up spending a lot more time in NB/DEMON - trying to identify and TMA trying to work up a good track and solution.
Old 10-26-08, 12:42 PM   #35
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
So, this game will be more like a flight simulator than SC/DW? Meaning will it drop me out of TC and throw me into battle mode when hostiles are nearby or will I simply get "Sir, we've been hit! We're going down!"?
It will drop you down into tactical mode whenever you encounter an enemy. If you are travelling at high speed in Transit mode, you will appear VERY close to your enemy in the Tactical screen (and still travelling at high speed). If you were using the normal cruise speed in Transit mode, you will appear at a distance from your enemy.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 01:22 PM   #36
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Thanks, Herman, good to know!

Well, with DOSBOX I can transit on my CRT on one of my four processors and play something else on my LCD on another of my four processors! Man, I love my not so new system ... wife's gift in 2007.
Old 10-26-08, 02:49 PM   #37
SandyCaesar
Chief

Downloads: 0

Right. If you bump into an enemy in transit mode...

If you're going at high speed (SHIFT+ARROW), then you start at ahead full, at a deep depth. For the Seawolf that's 900ft at 30kts, and chances are whoever you're hunting will end up just a few thousand yards away, and they'll probably have the jump on you.

If you're transiting at slow speed (ARROW), then you'll be at ahead standard, medium depth (320 feet and 15kts for the Seawolf), with your enemies at a decent range. It's an okay shooting situation.

The best would be to sprint ahead of somebody and wait in ambush (NOT MOVING). It's hard to pull off, but when you do it you'll be at 5kts and 150ft for most subs, a very good position for an ambush. The detection will probably be at long range, and you'll be in a good position to intercept.

The exception is the ultra-quiet targets, Sierras, Typhoons, and SSKs. (Even the Juliet is modeled as quieter than, say, an Alfa or an Oscar). Especially SSKs; they have a nasty tendency to show up at extremely close range. It's nearly impossible to TMA them without an active sonar blast.

Okay, other hints...when you're shooting at others in an ice situation, you want to be careful that whatever you launch--'poons, Tomahawks, or Sea Lances--don't bump into something on the way up. Had it happen before.

Enemy torpedos generally snake-search upon activation; if they pick something up they go into circle-search. ASROC/SUBROC torpedos just start circle-searching upon hitting the water. Your Mk48s, however, plod in a straight line until they find something, at which point they circle-search if they miss. No snake-search, annoyingly enough. On the other hand, Mk-48s have a nice detection range, but their seeker cones are pretty narrow. And apparently they're quiet enough so that you could swim them above/below the layer as needed...they generally run at launch depth until they go active. Once they're active, though, they're totally out of your control.

If you shoot and miss, there's a good chance that the enemy will decide to go active to find you. Be warned.

Vanvikan, Feb. 2009: ordinary human, KIA, night 4

HMS Thanatus, May 2009: ??? human, KIA, night 7
SandyCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 02:57 PM   #38
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-29-08, 09:56 AM   #39
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

It seems that there has been little activity in the last two months, after a promising start :hmm:

Anybody knows if the project keeps going?
Old 11-01-08, 06:24 AM   #40
Weps
Nub

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
It seems that there has been little activity in the last two months, after a promising start :hmm:

Anybody knows if the project keeps going?
Trust me, it is ongoing
Weps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 08:22 AM   #41
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Hey weps, wellcome here

Your project is truly amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing it complete. Please consider allowing a chance to add later improved graphics and higher resolutions, even if in 2D of course
Old 11-06-08, 07:34 PM   #42
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

I was doing a little practice today.

One thing I really miss which I have come to expect in sub sim is a realtime clock.

I am playing the DOS version. I've never seen the Amiga version. What makes it so special? Is it really worth the trouble if you are unfamiliar with the Amiga and WinUAE to get the Amiga version running?

Does anyone know how fast realtime and how fast accelerated time is?

Yes, I know I could figure this out with a stop watch, known speed, and clocking travel between tactical map markings which seem to be a 2Kyds. But does anyone happen to know?

Thanks.
Old 11-06-08, 09:11 PM   #43
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Some more questions:

(1) In shallow water can I use the topography to (like a canyon) to hide my passive noise or to avoid detection from active sonar?

(2) Can I use topography to block a weapon from hitting me?

(3) What exactly changes at the four different difficulty levels? Does that only affect tactical combat or the campaign performance too?

Thanks.
Old 11-06-08, 09:47 PM   #44
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

(4) Does your ER affect the game or is it just scoring?
Old 11-06-08, 11:42 PM   #45
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
Some more questions:

(1) In shallow water can I use the topography to (like a canyon) to hide my passive noise or to avoid detection from active sonar?

(2) Can I use topography to block a weapon from hitting me?
I think that you could hide from other platforms if you kept a topographical feature between you and them. Not positive, but fairly certain about this.

I know that it is possible to use the geography to save yourself from enemy weapons. One of my favourite tactics was to dive to the bottom and have the torpedos hit the surrounding mountains or ridges.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote