SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-19, 10:50 AM   #1
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Default Pascal-sh5-Crew-Uniforms-July 2014 [Editing problem]

Hey all, I am using this mod and wanted to replace the Cook's sweater which now shows an incorrect HitlerJugend symbol with an accurate Kriegsmarine sports shirt. Now while editing the file called: D_Torso04_D.dds I ran into some problems.

When I just edited the *.dds image as I normally do the GuI started to become very problematic (the well known black overlay part problem).

So basically I want to change this image:
(uploaded for now in *.jpg format, see directory for actual *.dds image)

By removing the HJ swastika part and remove the red stripes so as to make it entirely a white shirt and and overlay this image (cropped resized and erased along the sides so it shows the actual patch) on it:

Which are the *.dds files I need to edit ?

Is there anyone who could help me with this by telling me exactly how to do it?
I would be very happy if I can succeed in it since the HJ shirt annoys the crap out of me.

Old 02-15-19, 07:31 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

While the Hitler Jugend t-shirt might not be entirely accurate aboard an U-boat, t-shirts of similar design actually existed:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/hitler...od-fake-23312/
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/hitler...-shirt-297073/
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/hitler...em-shirt-6140/

From pictures I have seen, I don't think that the Kriegsmarine dressing code was strictly enforced aboard U-boats; I imagine that no captain would have complained if, in the closedness of his galley, a nazi fanatic cook had decided to wear an HJ t-shirt he had got who knows how/where.

That said, the KM shirt you want to use in place of the HJ one, is much more plausible, and from a drawing I have found, it might have been part of the "standard" U-boat clothing.

What I don't get about your questions is: you have already posted the texture you want to edit/replace and its name, which other texture are you looking for and, besides that, I don't see how the editing of a dds file might cause a black screen
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-19, 09:00 PM   #3
Ashikaga
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
What I don't get about your questions is: you have already posted the texture you want to edit/replace and its name, which other texture are you looking for and, besides that, I don't see how the editing of a dds file might cause a black screen
Thanks for those links

Let me explain a little better.

When I open the .dds file in paint.net I get this :

When I then edit in the KM eagle (with alpha channel and before erasing the parts covered in the game by the suspenders) it looks like this :

When I then try color to Alpha, Or flatten, or merge the old swastika skeep shining through, which I do not want, and when I save the image in the *.dds format and do the renaming so the game recognizes it, the game either does not show it but reverts automatically to the image without the eagle, or I get the weird GUI overlay error with black boxes cluttering my screen. Removing the alpha layer after anchoring and replacing it with a new one also does not work.

So I really do not know what the heck I am doing wrong here, since when editing in the ship in the toilet.dds file instead of Donitz it works like a charm when I save it to *.dds format with paint.net and that also worked without a hitch when doing the desk and bedside photos.

So I am a little at a loss here on how to proceed.

Last edited by Ashikaga; 02-15-19 at 09:09 PM.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 10:48 AM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
Thanks for those links
Thank you too for pointing us to that HD detail of the KM emblem.

I still don't get what you are doing wrong. My guess is that, after your editing, texture's alpha channel gets lost (I have read somewher that Gimp has no the best alpha channel support), or possibly you are using the wrong DDS compression format (for those textures you should use DX5 / update mipamap levels), though in either case I don't see how those errors may corrupt the GUI.

However, can you please test this texture edited by me?

https://www.mediafire.com/view/ma0bt...o04_D.dds/file
Old 02-16-19, 01:11 PM   #5
Ashikaga
Commodore

SUPERB!!!!

That looks epic!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH!!!!!

I also know what I might have done wrong with respect to my edit not showing up in the game. I only put the file in the TWOS_parts folder of the uniform mod, and forgot completely to also add it to the textures file in the Textures folder of Silent Hunter 5.

That still does not explain this strange GUI problem I found though but have not had any problems with that anymore.

In the uniform and character *.dds files there are a lot of purple colored texture files of the same persons, divided in A, B, C, D, are these perhaps light maps or are they part of the layering of the figure? I noticed that my 1WO has a purple shirt under his leather jacket which I find hilarious.

I mean, he can joke with the XO all he wants and talk about broomsticks but judging from his own shirt even though he is married......

I will not try to edit any of these purple texture files since I do not want any trouble. Just stay with the easier things for now. (I am a trial and error guy who often does not RTFM). So basically with editing these *.dds files I do not know what I am doing or why things happen the way they do happen.

Old 02-16-19, 01:36 PM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
[B][SIZE=5]SUPERB!!!!
Now we should add some soup stains to that white sweater, don't we?

Before you enabled again Pascal's mod, you should have replaced the original texture with the new one in the mod's Textures\TNormal\tex folder. That's it.

I still don't understand what you did instead, but obviously you messed up
Old 02-16-19, 01:40 PM   #7
Ashikaga
Commodore

Yeah hahahaha we should add some soup stains!

You know, I will try an edit again this time giving him a nice Unicorn girly shirt, see if that works.

I am only learning here. Still do not know everything hahahaha.

Will post an image if I succeed to put a Unicorn on his shirt. LOL.

Old 02-16-19, 03:03 PM   #8
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
I am a trial and error guy I do not know what I am doing or why things happen the way they do happen.
Welcome to my World!
Old 02-17-19, 01:24 PM   #9
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yeah hahahaha we should add some soup stains!
Here you go, after the "Sporty Kriegsmarine Chef" mod, I am pleased to announce the release of the "Sloppy Galley Rat" submod.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/t4a49...o04_D.rar/file

Enjoy

Quote:
You know, I will try an edit again this time giving him a nice Unicorn girly shirt, see if that works.

I am only learning here. Still do not know everything hahahaha.

Will post an image if I succeed to put a Unicorn on his shirt. LOL.
Okay, in case you can grab a trial version of photshop, I have added to the zip file linked above a psd file with all the layers of my edit. You can hide them, and overlay on the white shirt any logo/symbol you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Welcome to my World!
lol
Old 02-18-19, 03:07 PM   #10
Ashikaga
Commodore

That is epic ! Thank you! Downloading as we speak

The soup stains are hilarious!

Will check if I can get a Photoshop version which works.