SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-03-17, 02:51 PM   #91
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

kendras,

you have been wondering why the AO map does not appear? Well, simple answer is that you exported and re-imported the model without caring for the 2nd UV channel, which "carries" the AO map.
So, go back to the original file gap kindly provided, re-export the model and make sure that also the 2nd uv channel is ticked, then import both channels into the new file; again make sure the 2nd channel is ticked. That's it. The AO map works nicely.

Cheers
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 03:01 PM   #92
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post

kendras,

you have been wondering why the AO map does not appear? Well, simple answer is that you exported and re-imported the model without caring for the 2nd UV channel, which "carries" the AO map.
So, go back to the original file gap kindly provided, re-export the model and make sure that also the 2nd uv channel is ticked, then import both channels into the new file; again make sure the 2nd channel is ticked. That's it. The AO map works nicely.

Cheers
I'm confused here. When I ran Gaps file after remapping the ID's, and not having exported or imported the model, the AO was not showing. I have just included an AO controller in the dat file (see my screenshot) and now I have weed on the rock. I'm starting to feel I've been smoking the stuff
Old 02-03-17, 04:16 PM   #93
the_frog
Commander

MLF,

gap's original file already included the correct settings for the AO map. I have no idea why you had to re-do what you call the AO controller after re-mapping the IDs. The re-mapping of IDs does not change anything with the settings of AO map. For testing, I did a ID re-mapping of gap's original file and AO appears without any problem ...

I may add that there is an error in gap's original file -- the static object controller is not set up correctly.

I acutally referred only to kendras' lighthouse file. In that the 2nd UV channel is missig and so AO will not work at all.

Cheers

Last edited by the_frog; 02-03-17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-03-17, 04:33 PM   #94
MLF
Weps

The_frog,

This is what I did:-

Installed Gaps .dat file in locations and ran a mission I created in SH3 - CTD

Remapped ID's and ran the mission no problem testing Gaps reef file. My lighthouse was added in locations.cfg and not the dat file

Took screenshots and posted them.

Gap observed there was no AO mapping either in my screenshots or SquareSteelBar's. Kendras also seems to have the same problem.

Regards,

MLF
Old 02-03-17, 04:51 PM   #95
the_frog
Commander

MLF,

the CTD when trying gap's original file might have resulted from the mistake with the static object controller; however, I am not sure because I corrected it before trying. Also, I omitted the specular mask controller.

Please note, I was referring the kendras' file that includes the lighthouse. The 3D model therein has no 2nd UV channel and therefore the AO will never ever appear.

Cheers
Old 02-03-17, 05:26 PM   #96
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Thank you for your feed-back guys. Summing up:
  • My bad, after adding the StaticObject controller, I had forgot setting up its SquareLength property. The rock is now collisionable. Thank you MLF for pointing to my mistake

• The model is now anchored to the terrain.
    How did you manage doing that Kendras?

• According to the_frog, my settings for the AO material were correct, but SquareSteelBar's and MLF's screenies obvious don't show it (Kendras tests are ruled out, because he re-imported the model without the secondary UV map). The_frog, can you confirm that the AO map works correctly on your hand, and how it comes that it doesn't work for others?

• The model modified by Kendras is 50% higher than the original model. I think doing that made the model a bit too sharp though. I can try making it smoother using Wing 3D's smooth command, maybe followed by an automatic polygon reduction in Mod Tools. An UV remapping will be needed too, if we want to avoid textures to be stretched vertically

Any other remark guys? Am I forgetting any important aspect of the present model which needs to be addressed?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 06:07 PM   #97
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
According to the_frog, my settings for the AO material were correct, but SquareSteelBar's and MLF's screenies obvious don't show it (Kendras tests are ruled out, because he re-imported the model without the secondary UV map). The_frog, can you confirm that the AO map works correctly on your hand, and how it comes that it doesn't work for others?
It works now. But what about the specular mask ??? Is it useful, or not ?

About the rock's model, I don't like it, it seems not natural. Could you improve the sections ? Look how it is at the sea level, that's not really good :

The small reefs have to be more smooth, and above the surface, not a little below.

Moreover, think about your lighthouse : it must be placed on the highest altitude of the island, and there must be enough space at this place. Could you increase a bit the altitude of the highest point ?

I don't even know if we should keep this model ... but the concept is good ! Maybe smaller polygons for more precision ?
Old 02-03-17, 06:49 PM   #98
the_frog
Commander

kendras,

the specular mask may be of use with plain textures; with texures with an alpha channel it is of any use. And even with simple, plain textures I do not see much visible effects. However, that is my personal impression.

Cheers
Old 02-04-17, 02:44 AM   #99
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 615

I used the modified file by MLF: https://www.mediafire.com/?6h7401kv6ca55op

Removed SpecularMask node, ambient occlusion is working now.

with SpecularMask:

SpecularMask removed:

SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-17, 05:01 AM   #100
MLF
Weps

This is the link to Gap's file I modded to show AO - green weed on rocks should be visible as shown in screenshot in post #90.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0frif35111ektqz

If I have this wrong would someone please share a screenshot or file of what this reef looks like with everything working OK?

Last edited by MLF; 02-04-17 at 06:18 AM.
MLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-17, 09:58 AM   #101
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
This is the link to Gap's file I modded to show AO - green weed on rocks should be visible as shown in screenshot in post #90.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0frif35111ektqz

If I have this wrong would someone please share a screenshot or file of what this reef looks like with everything working OK?
I had a look in your file, and I have the same structure. I just don't understand why you changed SO MUCH X, Y, Z values for translation. About texture, without the specular mask, you will see a correct textured rock, as on your own pic :

Quote:
The model is now anchored to the terrain.
How did you manage doing that Kendras?
Yes, it's very easy, you have 2 ways to do this :

- create a child node for the 3D model of the rock, which is placed accordingly to the sea surface. The parent node will always be placed at the sea surface if you set "On land=false" in Locations.cfg.

- or just choose the 0 height of the rock model where the sea level must be.

Quote:
According to the_frog, my settings for the AO material were correct, but SquareSteelBar's and MLF's screenies obvious don't show it (Kendras tests are ruled out, because he re-imported the model without the secondary UV map).
There is no problem here. The specular mask just must be deleted, and all works properly after that.

Quote:
The model modified by Kendras is 50% higher than the original model. I think doing that made the model a bit too sharp though.
About model dimensions and aspect, I draw this to help you :

Make something simple, especially underwater. The aspect of the island is important (you can sea a "big" and a "small" island on the left, the black circle is the lighthouse to give the scale. On the right, you can sea how the sides of the rock are diving into the sea bed.

I think it would be much easier to do something looking natural with GeoControl 2 software (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...8&postcount=67), but I don't know if it is a freeware, I didn't find any working download link ...

Old 02-04-17, 11:49 AM   #102
MLF
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
I had a look in your file, and I have the same structure. I just don't understand why you changed SO MUCH X, Y, Z values for translation. About texture, without the specular mask, you will see a correct textured rock,
Post 69 of this thread (repeated post 79) :

"I played around with settings in Gap's reef model (hope he doesn'tmind?). I found that by giving the Node-Reef1 Node Positioning Translation Y value a negative number (here -30 see 2nd screenshot) the model did go
beneath the sea (see 1st screenshot of underwater view of sub
)"

Post 82 of this thread:

"I did as Gap asked, moved specular mask down under the "Reef1AO.tga" texture map - no change noticed.

I then deleted the specular mask controller - again no difference noticed."

Hope this answers your questions.

I had to add an AO controller in the texture for the reef to be able to see the weed.

I cannot see your version of the rock in your last posting as it is not visible (see posts 89 and 90)

Possibly, by adding the lighthouse to reef model you are in fact testing a completely different thing to myself and SquareSteelBar. We are testing just Gaps reef. My lighthouse was placed on the reef using locations.cfg - I did not change the reef model to add it.

Last edited by MLF; 02-04-17 at 03:14 PM.
MLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 01:24 PM   #103
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I cannot see your version of the rock in your last posting as it is not visible (see posts 89 and 90)
Now, it works for me. Updated file : http://www.mediafire.com/file/g697l7...efs_shoals.dat

Quote:
Possibly, by adding the lighthouse to reef model you are in fact testing a completely different thing to myself and SquareSteelBar. We are testing just Gaps reef. My lighthouse was placed on the reef using locations.cfg - I did not change the reef model to add it.
I'm testing Gap's rock by adding it into SH3 world with the Locations.cfg. That's all. I have just added a LH in Gap's file, which allows me to control its position with the rock. I think another good solution would be to place the LH in a file in the Libray folder, and add a placement node into Gap's file (still placed in the Terrain/locations folder) which calls the specific LH.
Old 02-12-17, 10:45 PM   #104
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Any news ?
Old 02-25-17, 08:47 AM   #105
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Support

We are lost in the fog here. We really need a lighthouse !