SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-16, 02:42 PM   #1
deflep
Nub

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default No Targets showing on maps

Noob Question:

Running SH4 with RFB 2.0 and RSRDC_RFB V575. I've done 3 patrols now and when I make a visual contact with a target it's never showing up on any map at any time (even when I'm 500yds away).

Checked the game options and there's nothing set that I would think would cause this. Anyone any ideas?
deflep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 03:30 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Here's the deal. For reasons unknown, The RFB crew decided that the standard ship silhouettes were no good as they let players identify ships without ever having seen them. TMO was already out which showed contacts as position dots only, with no text to ID the ship or show speed and direction of travel.

The RFB team decided that if your magnification were low enough to show the diamond, that would appear on the map. But if you were at higher magnification and the game would normally show a ship silhouette the RFB nav and attack map would show........nothing at all. This is called realism.

It's the equivalent of looking at the chart from across the room and seeing ship positions, but if you stand too close to the table all your contacts vanish! It's a ludicrous scheme that makes no sense at all.

That's why I produced TMOPlot, which reproduces the TMO plotting system in any game configuration. Just load it up after RFB and sanity returns to the game.

I worked with the RFB team. I can offer no excuses for their weird plotting system but laziness.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 01:00 AM   #3
deflep
Nub

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Awesome. That's perfect thanks. Was tearing out my dwindling hair supply
deflep is offline   Reply With Quote