SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-17, 07:28 AM   #1
metalrockerlion
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Back to Sub SIms

Hello All

You have may known me as Kimura_Ijn before but now I have re-logged on as metalrocker . I am in American In the states and have sub simmed for a few years now .. Had re- learn all the concepts of playing at 100% , I decided to play a classic SH4 , with it being modded with the latest mod . ( wow how work has Progressed !! ) , feels like Sh5 well Just saying hello to all and happy hunting !!
Old 08-06-17, 10:10 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

metalrockerlion! Happy recent birthday as well!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 10:45 PM   #3
metalrockerlion
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

welcome aboard!
metalrockerlion! Happy recent birthday as well!

Thank you !
Old 08-07-17, 01:46 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalrockerlion View Post
feels like Sh5 well Just saying hello to all and happy hunting !!
Oh God! I hope it doesn't play like SH5, we'll have to scrap the whole thing!

SH4 is and has been the best diesel-electric sub sim in the world since its publishing date and SH5 didn't even come close.

But we forgive you for your profanity there. Have fun!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 02:13 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > metalrockerlion
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 10:07 PM   #6
metalrockerlion
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default reply

yes iam notcing the ships recon manual does not have the length of the ships like in Sh5 .. which you cannot caculate the speed of the ship... but reading and old US Navy manual does have techniques for figuring out AOB, SPD, And range .. Iam gonna sit on SH4 for A little bit until I get it all worked out .. yes nothing Like SH5 indeed .
Old 08-07-17, 10:09 PM   #7
metalrockerlion
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Dang The Rocking Robins himself answered My post WOOTS thank you for all of your teachings
Old 08-08-17, 09:07 AM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

You have to keep in mind here that regardless of what we like, SH5 is in the looney bin, having thoroughly changed a submarine simulation into a hokey arcade game.

Let me explain. In the war, recognition manuals of both sides were awful. In the American submarines, they determined that over half the targets shot at were completely misidentified! Most of those which were identified properly had erroneous information in their recognition manuals.

Basic information, length,masthead height, cabin configuration and heights, were just wrong. Many ships didn't even have an entry at all!

And that makes sense. In order for SH5 to be historically plausible, the German Navy would have had to rent every single Allied ship on the ocean, individually taken each ship to a German harbor of your choice and carefully measured all the parameters of each of thousands of ships. Needless to say, such an undertaking would have bankrupted the Third Reich, even if the Allies were dumb enough to consent to such a scheme.

In fact, great measures were taken to distribute misinformation about the characteristics of ships, done with the knowledge that enemy submarines would be using this info to shoot in their general direction. The Japanese, for instance, sawed off masts, installed fake cabin profiles and distributed false information onthe lengths and capabilities of their ships. They went so far as to build ships which were scale models of other ships, built, in the case I read abut to half scale! What would THAT do to your precious range measurement? Hmmmmm?

Actually, the Kreigsmarine used targeting methods that assumed all measurements of enemy shipping were wrong. They didn't even require target identification to hit. The US Navy, however, relying on their fancy technology (sound familiar?), used the recognition manual to garner masthead height and ship lengths in order to calibrate torpedo targeting. Garbage in--garbage out. US percentage of hits was markedly lower than that of the Germans.

As usual, SH5 has it wrong. That's one of the reasons why SH4 is a better submarine simulation.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote