SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-17, 12:29 AM   #1
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0
Default If you can't add 3D models yet, then why rush the mod out?

Maybe Im missing the point, but if it's not possible to add the correct 3-D models to the game at this point in time, then why bother uploading new ship mods that are basically just renamed ships with tweaked files? All you have when you're done is the name of a ship with someone else's capabilities. Why not just shelve the mod *temporarily* until the time comes when it's possible to add brand new 3-D models to the game and have a brand new ship with historically accurate capabilities? I understand that these are still cool mods as they are now, it just hit me while I was reading the info on one uploaded new ship mod that it's not actually the new ship, just a new name.
Don't get me wrong please....I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. These mods you guys do are awesome and help keep SUBSIM fresh and alive.....and not to mention DRASTICALLY improve gameplay!! (Any SH 3,4,5 players hearing that?? lol) Thanks guys.

CaptainCruise.....a bubblehead original

***Does it look like new 3D models will be coming in the future, or is this particular game gonna be tough to add new 3D models to??***
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 02:12 AM   #2
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

What?

The new subs have completely different characteristics.
You can change anything, from sluggishness to weapon loadout to length, displacement, turn rate, noise levels blabla.

The 3D models are just eye candy really. Useless for performance.
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 02:26 AM   #3
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
Maybe Im missing the point, but if it's not possible to add the correct 3-D models to the game at this point in time, then why bother uploading new ship mods that are basically just renamed ships with tweaked files? All you have when you're done is the name of a ship with someone else's capabilities. Why not just shelve the mod *temporarily* until the time comes when it's possible to add brand new 3-D models to the game and have a brand new ship with historically accurate capabilities? I understand that these are still cool mods as they are now, it just hit me while I was reading the info on one uploaded new ship mod that it's not actually the new ship, just a new name.
Don't get me wrong please....I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. These mods you guys do are awesome and help keep SUBSIM fresh and alive.....and not to mention DRASTICALLY improve gameplay!! (Any SH 3,4,5 players hearing that?? lol) Thanks guys.

CaptainCruise.....a bubblehead original

***Does it look like new 3D models will be coming in the future, or is this particular game gonna be tough to add new 3D models to??***
Well, my biggest reason here is that while the devs are modder friendly, with the Unity engine, that day when we can finally add 3d models may never come.
Old 07-27-17, 02:33 AM   #4
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!

That's exactly what I'm talking about....eye candy. I'm not that excited with playing a Gato class SS sub that has the characteristics of a Gato and the looks of a Soviet nuke era Foxtrot sub. I'm talking about using a ship that is a completely new 3D platform in the game and then tweak it.....accurate looks and historically accurate performance. Sure, I know you can take any platform in the game and tweak it to act like anything you want, but in the end it's still a tweaked something. Some of us like a little "eye candy" from time to time.

The game is still fairly new and from what I've heard so far it's not possible yet to add new 3D models to the game. That's OK.....we've got some of he best modders in the game here. Someone will figure it out. Maybe the dev team will take pity on us and let the modders create new 3D models, tho that's a stretch.

"CC"
Old 07-27-17, 02:42 AM   #5
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Well, my biggest reason here is that while the devs are modder friendly, with the Unity engine, that day when we can finally add 3d models may never come.

Wow...that's unfortunate. I know most dev's are not likely to release too many secrets to the public, but being able to add new 3D modes, especially the quality yourself and the other modders here are capable of is a huge plus to the game. Then you add in the gameplay and graphics, sound, etc, mods to go with it and you have a whole new world of gameplay.

I hope things work out for you guys. I've been here a lot of years and the stuff I see you guys produce never stops amazing me. You and your mod brudda's and sisters are truly hero's with your work, and I'd like to say thank you for your time and effort you devote to this. Good luck in the future.

"CC"
Old 07-27-17, 02:47 AM   #6
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

From my understanding the no-3d models was a design decision by the devs.

Obviously the ability to add models exists (otherwise the devs wouldn't have added stuff) but that's its somehow encrypted or encoded to not allow 3rd party models.

Im no programmer but I don't buy the line that the engine itself is at fault.

(But what do I know)

..(I also am holding off using mods until we get proper models...If it acts like a Gato and looks like a Ruskie....ummm...sorry..Lost my immersion)

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 03:49 AM   #7
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
From my understanding the no-3d models was a design decision by the devs.

Obviously the ability to add models exists (otherwise the devs wouldn't have added stuff) but that's its somehow encrypted or encoded to not allow 3rd party models.

Im no programmer but I don't buy the line that the engine itself is at fault.

(But what do I know)

..(I also am holding off using mods until we get proper models...If it acts like a Gato and looks like a Ruskie....ummm...sorry..Lost my immersion)

To the best of my knowledge they didn't deliberately obfuscate the game to prevent this, its more or less a trade-off / consequence for how things were done.

I.E. it was more advantageous for them to use Unity and live with the detractors than it was to go an alternate route.
Old 07-27-17, 04:20 AM   #8
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
Some of us like a little "eye candy" from time to time.
So, Captain, the right thing to do here was just say: "hey guys, I, CaptainCruise, am going to hold out with the mods until I can get accurate 3D models, whereas someone who wants to try a sub with different characteristics can do whatever he wants"

Instead of saying Modders should hold out because you like eye candy... Sorry, I am a bit baffled here
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 06:20 AM   #9
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge they didn't deliberately obfuscate the game to prevent this, its more or less a trade-off / consequence for how things were done.

I.E. it was more advantageous for them to use Unity and live with the detractors than it was to go an alternate route.

??? Wait....if the engine prevents adding models...then how did they add models to begin with? Did they make all the 3d stuff for the game and all of the sudden forget how to do it?

Again, I'm no programmer but that doesn't make sense to my tiny brain. If it was possible to add models in the first place, then it should still be possible unless of course the devs are using some program that modders do not have access to, or.... chose to encrypt stuff so as to add DLC later.

(which Im totally cool with BTW....I'd pay for some nice diesels and NATO nukes)

Anyway...not my field...better shut up.

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 06:45 AM   #10
Decho
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 7

Quote:
??? Wait....if the engine prevents adding models...then how did they add models to begin with? Did they make all the 3d stuff for the game and all of the sudden forget how to do it?

Again, I'm no programmer but that doesn't make sense to my tiny brain. If it was possible to add models in the first place, then it should still be possible unless of course the devs are using some program that modders do not have access to, or.... chose to encrypt stuff so as to add DLC later.

(which Im totally cool with BTW....I'd pay for some nice diesels and NATO nukes)

Basically the devs can add models because they have the unpackaged Unity project file, which contains all of the source code and models and everything which is in the game. When they package a build of the game Unity turns this all into neat files which can't really be modded. So the only way for them to let us add 3d models would involve them giving us the full source code of the game which wouldn't be a particularly sound business decision.

So yeah basically they have access to stuff that modders don't, but they also can't really give it out, even if they wanted to allow modders to add 3d models.

They could quite easily have folded in all of the ship specs and mission files into the packaged unity files, so they have actually done modders a service by having that type of thing so accessible. Note also that it is possible to set up a Unity game in such a way that 3d models are kept outside the packaged files, but this involves quite a lot of extra work.
Decho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 06:48 AM   #11
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decho View Post
Basically the devs can add models because they have the unpackaged Unity project file, which contains all of the source code and models and everything which is in the game. When they package a build of the game Unity turns this all into neat files which can't really be modded. So the only way for them to let us add 3d models would involve them giving us the full source code of the game which wouldn't be a particularly sound business decision.

So yeah basically they have access to stuff that modders don't, but they also can't really give it out, even if they wanted to allow modders to add 3d models.

They could quite easily have folded in all of the ship specs and mission files into the packaged unity files, so they have actually done modders a service by having that type of thing so accessible. Note also that it is possible to set up a Unity game in such a way that 3d models are kept outside the packaged files, but this involves quite a lot of extra work.
Perfect explanation, thanks
Old 07-27-17, 07:14 AM   #12
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
So, Captain, the right thing to do here was just say: "hey guys, I, CaptainCruise, am going to hold out with the mods until I can get accurate 3D models, whereas someone who wants to try a sub with different characteristics can do whatever he wants"

Instead of saying Modders should hold out because you like eye candy... Sorry, I am a bit baffled here

Geez.....you're putting words in my mouth. I NEVER told anyone to pass on these types of mods because that's what "big badass CaptainCruise" thinks they should do. Sheesh...who gave me that right??? I would never do such a thing. All I was trying to say was if I decide to try a download of new ships that didn't come pre-packaged with the game, I would PREFER to use new 3D model ships with accurate specs instead of a renaming one ship and changing the specs so it walks and talks like something else. I don't want to look at a Ohio class SSBN and have someone tell me its a Ohio skin re-tweaked to George Washington SSBN specs. They don't look alike and my choice would be to use what the game gave me. That's just me.....everyone here is entitled to use the game the way they want and if they are happy using a tweaked platform like this, then by all means make yourself a happy camper and use them. I'm sure they are great mods and perform like the ship they are named for would perform. The modders here deliver great stuff and everyone should be able to find something that's makes them happy. As for me I like the ability to use the Soviet subs the game has in missions and campaigns. I especially want to get my paws on one of those Oscar SSGN tubs. Now that's a beast of a sub.....and it even looks like an Oscar!!

"CC"
Old 07-27-17, 07:25 AM   #13
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Quote:

Maybe you hit on it....they may plan to release new 3D model platforms in the future as part of a DLC plan to make a few $$$. Wouldn't be the first time this was done. I'd also probably buy something.

I also play World of Warships and World of Tanks and EVERYTHING is DLC!!! Gets crazy if your not careful.

I see you live in Texas. Ever get to have a beer with the Onkel Neal? I love that big 'ole redneck hillbilly. Known him quite a few years now and he does so much for SUBSIM and all of us.
Old 07-27-17, 07:46 AM   #14
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Quote:

Is it possible the Devs may be interested in some kind of trade for services? You guys do the 3D stuff, the historically accurate specs, etc...they have the right to include your work in future releases of the game or something to that effect? I dunno, I get the feeling I'm really reaching here. For that matter would you as a modder be interested in some kind of trade like that? Would that hurt or possibly help you in any way? Just curious......thanks.

Tom "CC"
Old 07-27-17, 08:10 AM   #15
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15

From what I've gathered talking to the devs, they want to release a few DLC first and not compete with their community. Then, at some point in the future, the game will be opened up to 3D modeling. Don't quote me on this, but that's the gist I got.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote