SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-17, 12:02 PM   #16
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

688 already has the tiles. They are quite obvious when you look at it in the unit reference.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 12:40 PM   #17
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Depends on how you look at it. I think USS Batfish (Sturgeon class) trialed the tiles as early as 1980, but I don't think other boats had them until 85 or 86 and I don't think it was "standard equipment" until the VLS boats were completed in the same time-period.
Oh, that's true, I have seen a couple early 688 photos that appeared to be bare steel hulls.

Regarding the Batfish, though, that's made me wonder if it would ever be possible to have individual boat variations like the longer hull, larger sail Permits or the twin screw Jack, or any of the other one-offs that would have been in service at the time. I guess the related question is whether they could be dropped in under the main class so that you pick Permit or Sturgeon and have the chance to get one of those boats with the luck of the draw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
688 already has the tiles. They are quite obvious when you look at it in the unit reference.
I know, I see them. All I was saying was that those tiles would cover any hull panel joins.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 03:38 PM   #18
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace11 View Post
They are in the unity assets bundles.

Unity asset bundle extractor works, or at least the version I have does. It's a little tricky to use, but you can export - then change - and re-import textures into the resources asset bundle.

Here's the skin for Tango class.

http://imgur.com/a/RyeZg

What I haven't been able to do yet is get textures to work in the override folder, so you are limited to a modded bundle which is pretty inconvenient for distributing any skins, and when patches arrive etc... till someone figures it out.

I might try something else, I may have got the directories wrong or messed up the file format/name etc when I tried the override folder.

Now that 1.08 has fixed access to the textures, could you PM me on where I can buy the Unity Asset Bundle Extractor? What software would I need to purchase? I am interested in doing some custom textures for the various boats I served with. Especially now that the textures can simply be put in an override folder, instead of having to export/re-import.

Would like to see the format for the texture files to see if I can create my own. I know they have a particular format/layout to transfer from a 2D file to the correct area of the 3D models...

That is assuming Killerfish doesn't mind us doing this? Their input would be appreciated on this subject as well.

Thanks!

LTJG Beam
LTJGBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 03:17 PM   #19
chillbro baggins
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJGBeam View Post
Would like to see the format for the texture files to see if I can create my own. I know they have a particular format/layout to transfer from a 2D file to the correct area of the 3D models...
Thanks!
Ditto, I wanna put sharkmouths on the bow and "nose art" on the sail of my boat.

Edit: I need this for the CW textures. (Minecraft used as an example because it's the easiest to find.)

Last edited by chillbro baggins; 09-22-17 at 04:28 PM.
chillbro baggins is offline   Reply With Quote