SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-17, 07:50 AM   #1
ransomedagger
Swabbie

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Icon10 SH4 Control Icons Missing!

Hello everybody. Im new to subsim forums and I hope I can make a lot of friends here. My problem is that in Silent Hunter 4, the control icons at the bottom are white with no red labeling. Any help would be appreciated.
ransomedagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 03:20 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did you try to install a mod, and that happened afterwards?

Which version of Windows do you have, and is it 32- or 64-bit? What directory / folder did you install the game to? The "default" when using the install program is to put the game in the C:\ Program Files \ Ubistoft directory. Which version of the game do you have, and where did you purchase it from? In other words, is it v1.3, v1.4, or v1.5? v1.5 has the Uboats in it. V1.3 is the most common version beside v1.5. Steam sells v1.3 as a download. Amazon sells a download as well as the DVD version, as do several other retailers. In other words, it's helpful to know a bit about your computer and the game, and what you did prior to losing the menu icons.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 11:38 AM   #3
ransomedagger
Swabbie

Hello, thank you for helping me! My windows is 64 bit. my directory is as you have mentioned. I bought the game from amazon and my version is 1.5. I have two mods installed, one being Trigger Maru Overhaul, and the other is the German language pack for the u boats. I am not sure if trigger maru is causing this as I installed the mods before playing the game. My PC is a gaming computer from Alienware. If trigger maru is causing this, I would rather deal with the icons missing in exchange for many better features and fixes. Again, thanks.
Old 08-21-17, 02:18 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

ransomedagger!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 02:35 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The problem is not TMO, but rather, Windows itself. Microsoft added User Access Control (UAC) to Windows with their Vista release, in an effort to protect the computer from the user and from malware. It's what pops up those little message boxes for 'Do you wish to let this application access your computer' and others of that ilk. Part of the UAC schema also included "Protected folders", which includes the Windows folder and all of its sub-folders, and the Program Files and all of its sub-folders. Nothing is allowed to be changed in those folders unless it is changed through a Windows utility, such as InstallShield or similar. So, when you activate a mod, and then go to run the application (SH4 in this case), Windows 'notices' that the files have changed, and puts ~SOME~ of the originals back from a repository. To change this behavior, you'll have to move your install.

De-activate your mods with JSGME. Downloaded SH4 games such as from Steam sometimes have another layer of "protection" of the Steam license, which prevents direct copying, but as of the last time I moved an application from Amazon, they wrote to the registry for their license, and didn't care about the path to the executable, so what you could try first, is to select the Ubisoft folder in the Program Files (x86) folder on your computer, press the <Ctrl> button, and while holding it down, press the <C> key. That will "copy" the folder and everything below it. Now go out to the C:\ root, or any other drive that you have available that can hold over 4gig of data, and press <Ctrl><V> to paste the folder there. It will take a while for the files and folders to copy over, but when it's finished, you should be able to enable a mod, and have it "stick". The other thing(s) you'll have to change are your shortcuts for SH4. Either build new ones, or edit the ones you already have to point to the new location.

Let us know how you get along, which ever way it goes...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 03:00 PM   #6
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

ransomedagger, TMO is a modification basically for the American side of play. Ducimus, its creator, didn't spend much time worrying about what the German side of things came out like. Neither did RFB (Real Fleet Boat). Both made their modifications intended for the American side of play. When you state you've used "the German language pack for the u boats", it would seem you're preferring to play the German side....if so, TMO is probably not your best choice of mods to use.

Operation Monsun (found HERE), with its several patches and additions is a good mod for U-Boat game play.

The correct set of mods for the complete OM setup are as folows:

OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch5
OMEGU v300
OMEGU v300 Patch 7

You start with OM version 705 and add the remainder modifications as listed.

I also see an "Operation_Monsun_Deutsch_Pack" that will provide German translation to OM.....might be worth looking into.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 04:54 PM   #7
ransomedagger
Swabbie

SHO

WOW! I never expected so much support. I think this is the friendliest online community I have seen in a long time. Anyway, thanks a lot. I will let you know what happens.