SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-15, 12:08 AM   #16
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannogman View Post

The Gilberts are proving delightfully easier than the Marshalls. Does anyone ever travel south of the Gilberts, eg to Tonga? I'm trying to decide what to do after the Carolines. I doubt anyone goes to French Polynesia, Baker & Palmyra etc - but if you do, I can fix them as well
Speaking for myself, I go where the Navy sends me.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 12:27 PM   #17
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Crannogman
"..... although I can't for the life of me figure out why someone wouldn't want to use RSRDC's (c/w stock) vastly-improved ship traffic..."
There are quite a few who don't use the outstanding RSRD mod for a variety of reasons including myself. For those who like it, it is a wonderful mod and they put a lot of research and work into developing it. Others like the Stock game as it is, and some like the Super mod traffic that also address some Stock shipping issues.

Way back when, I really liked Tater's layers and what he was doing.

I prefer the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod that uses the Stock layers, many modified Stock campaign files, additional traffic in areas where there should be shipping in Stock, forward Bases where there really were Bases, and all new 'realistic' Special Mission Objectives that were all heavily researched and are missions actually conducted by US subs in WW II.

My point is, I'm really looking forward to this and hope your mod is a mod that improves and adds the geographical physical features you have mentioned, but is compatible with the many different configurations people use. If it is a RSRD mod, that is your decision of course.

Quote:
I find Aanker's model spooky in that it doesn't show up on the map, so I never know quite where to look for it. Presumably, the 3D model will encompass/hide the terrain feature for those who use both.
I will fix this so there is an X, (it is easy). I thought there was a 'place name' on the map and didn't realize people couldn't find it. Sorry.

Done! : )

Last edited by aanker; 08-16-15 at 05:43 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 04:40 PM   #18
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

There is a place-name and dot, but IIRC it disappears at high zoom levels.

The reason I would do it for RSRDC is that, being a relatively new player, it's the only mod I've played (or, until now, heard of) that makes the shipping more historical. Plus, I'm hoping to contribute to Capn_Scurvy's upcoming megamod, which I understand will base its campaign files on RSRDC, so that's a priority.

My hope is that heavy use of sub nets will keep AI ships from running aground - thry seem to be able to "see" other 3D objects but not terrain. If it works as intended (ha!) it would theoretically allow any campaign files to be used, and the AI would just sail around any land masses. So the initial offering might be "good enough for government work."
Old 08-17-15, 06:52 AM   #19
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
There are quite a few who don't use the outstanding RSRD mod for a variety of reasons including myself. For those who like it, it is a wonderful mod and they put a lot of research and work into developing it. Others like the Stock game as it is, and some like the Super mod traffic that also address some Stock shipping issues.

Way back when, I really liked Tater's layers and what he was doing.

I prefer the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod that uses the Stock layers, many modified Stock campaign files, additional traffic in areas where there should be shipping in Stock, forward Bases where there really were Bases, and all new 'realistic' Special Mission Objectives that were all heavily researched and are missions actually conducted by US subs in WW II.

My point is, I'm really looking forward to this and hope your mod is a mod that improves and adds the geographical physical features you have mentioned, but is compatible with the many different configurations people use. If it is a RSRD mod, that is your decision of course.

I will fix this so there is an X, (it is easy). I thought there was a 'place name' on the map and didn't realize people couldn't find it. Sorry.

Done! : )
Is the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod stil available? I don't find it in the SubSim download section.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-15, 08:59 AM   #20
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

You'll find it here http://www.subsowespac.org/silent-hunter-4-mods.shtml the download link is about halfway down the page.
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-15, 03:09 PM   #21
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Default Eye Candy

Here's a taste of what I've been working on. hopefully most of you will recognize this place and how it has been changed from stock

Old 08-18-15, 09:28 AM   #22
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
You'll find it here http://www.subsowespac.org/silent-hunter-4-mods.shtml the download link is about halfway down the page.
Perfect! Thank you.

Old 08-18-15, 11:19 AM   #23
Moonlight
Admiral

@Crannogman, I would hazard a guess that it's Truk, if it is me thinks I'll give that place a miss.
Old 08-18-15, 01:22 PM   #24
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
aanker,
Are you running the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod on a stock install or using something like GFO?
Old 08-18-15, 02:11 PM   #25
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
aanker,
Are you running the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod on a stock install or using something like GFO?
Something like GFO, it is my heavily modded install I called 'Mod Soup' until that phrase took a negative meaning like, 'corrupted'.

When Ducimus made his 'Flavored To Taste' mod that later became TM, then TMO, he took many small mods made by others, edited each one to be compatible, and added them to his Super mod.

Back in the FTT days it was food, his soup was good, so I always called my small additions 'Mod Soup'.

People in our group used the 'Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod' on Stock installs, TMO up to 1.9, (maybe higher?) and RFB. It doesn't run on RSRD because it is a different campaign.

Hope that helps.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-15, 02:13 PM   #26
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162

Hi aanker,
Very much, thanks. I just completed my first Pacific campaign with TMO/RSRDC and want to try something different.
Old 08-18-15, 11:01 PM   #27
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Quote:
@Crannogman, I would hazard a guess that it's Truk, if it is me thinks I'll give that place a miss.
That's Midway.

Gilberts are done, Carolines almost done. I haven't done Truk itself because that is already done (it's in the Nav Map Make-Over, which I highly recommend). Next up will be the Coral Sea (+/- Great Barrier Reef), Hawaiian islands, and a band of islands from Hawaii through Samoa to Tonga & Fiji to New Zealand (more for shipping than subs). Efficiency continues to improve, so should be done before mid-September. Again, I hope the subnets will allow it to work with any shipping layers you may use.

That said, I hope that the next installment will include fixed shipping for stock, RSRDC, and Spyron. Also, there should be corrected coastal batteries, and a campaign layer with corrected port locations & lighthouses. If possible, it will also correct harbor traffic for more historical capital ship placement, as well as sub tenders & bases
Old 08-19-15, 06:06 AM   #28
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Looks exactly like the Midway outline.

Old 08-19-15, 07:56 AM   #29
Moonlight
Admiral

Quote:
That's Midway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Looks exactly like the Midway outline.
I've finally re-installed SH4 1.5 again, now its time to get reacquainted with a submarine and all of the Pacific Islands as well.

I don't think the Nav Map Make-Over mod will be compatible with the Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod so that will have to be given a miss for now. If I knew how to mod this game I would have a crack at it but knowing me I would mess everything up.
Old 08-19-15, 09:20 AM   #30
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Here's a taste of what I've been working on. hopefully most of you will recognize this place and how it has been changed from stock

Oh my! It's the Happy Hunting Ground! The only problem is are we the hunter or the hunted there? Can't wait to see that fleshed out.

I have great memories of the place. It's where I first tested my Slightly Subnuclear Mark 14 mod and turned an Asashio into the Hindenburg.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote