SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-07, 05:34 PM   #1381
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notewire
Can anyone confirm that? Does No Map Contacts mean nothing on the map at all? Or just no GPS dots on the map when tracking ships.

I would love to know if No Map Contacts still allows for some input from my directional radio finding crew - even if it is just verbal or written.

Anybody know?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Notewire.
A bump for this man's question! Or have I answered it above?
Old 05-25-07, 06:55 PM   #1382
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Quote:
Can anyone confirm that? Does No Map Contacts mean nothing on the map at all? Or just no GPS dots on the map when tracking ships.

I would love to know if No Map Contacts still allows for some input from my directional radio finding crew - even if it is just verbal or written.

Anybody know?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Notewire.
A bump for this man's question! Or have I answered it above?
Disabling Map Contacts does exactly that... removal of all map contacts and contact lines. However, visual, sound/hydrophone, radar warning receiver and radar contact info is given to you by your crew by bearing to target and non-detailed/non-descriptive "ranges" via the on-screen text.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 07:36 PM   #1383
Notewire
Soundman

Downloads: 75

Sir,

Thank you for your time and your reply. I will continue manual targeting and hunting with No Map Contacts, as I search for challenge and realism to the utmost.

Having been playing on real time for years with your mods, I would love the opportunity to say that I admire your work greatly.

I am not sure yet how the Radio Direction Finding that helped my 1940's compatriates find targets is incorporated into the game - but I hope to find out. I would love to see that incorporated in a similiar manner to the Hydrophone lines - radio bearing, not sure of the range kind of deal.

Just my two cents - didn't really notice until your beautiful spinning RDF appeared on my Type II in January of 1940.

Thanks Sir, for everything,
Notewire.
Notewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 08:09 PM   #1384
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Sir,

Thank you for your time and your reply. I will continue manual targeting and hunting with No Map Contacts, as I search for challenge and realism to the utmost.

Having been playing on real time for years with your mods, I would love the opportunity to say that I admire your work greatly.

I am not sure yet how the Radio Direction Finding that helped my 1940's compatriates find targets is incorporated into the game - but I hope to find out. I would love to see that incorporated in a similiar manner to the Hydrophone lines - radio bearing, not sure of the range kind of deal.

Just my two cents - didn't really notice until your beautiful spinning RDF appeared on my Type II in January of 1940.

Thanks Sir, for everything,
Notewire.
Ref will have to take the bow for fixing/adding the RDF loop and the external moving KDB hydrophone, and the mattress radar antenna, and the Type IX cable fixes... (Ref is realllly good!!! )

Unfortunately, RDF appears to be completely non-functional in-game and remains a stock SH3 omission.

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself!!!

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 05-25-07, 08:10 PM   #1385
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223

Excuse me for the silly question, will GWX work with Vista 32bit?

Am about to install GWX , BTW nice video presentation on the site

I see i have to dl 6 files ranging from 1-5 plus the gwx.exe file and then the GWX 1.3 update.

Correct me if im wrong but i think thats all i need to DL to run GWX. PS thats if SH3 will run at all with vista am yet to install on this OS.

TIA

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 08:15 PM   #1386
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005
Excuse me for the silly question, will GWX work with Vista 32bit?

Am about to install GWX , BTW nice video presentation on the site

I see i have to dl 6 files ranging from 1-5 plus the gwx.exe file and then the GWX 1.3 update.

Correct me if im wrong but i think thats all i need to DL to run GWX. PS thats if SH3 will run at all with vista am yet to install on this OS.

TIA
It is my understanding that SH3 will work on Vista... but there is naturally a knob that you will need to jiggle somewhere... I don't have that info as I still use Windows XP.

I'm sure someone will help you though. If you don't get a response here... just post over in the regular SH3 forum... and you should get pretty quick answers.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 05-25-07, 08:33 PM   #1387
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

okay thanks,another question, i like to view my sub when submerged i got a feeling i wont be able to do this with the mod - meaning be very dark to see it for realism. So can i use SH3 commander 2.6 or 2.7 to change this or will their be an option in GWX menu?

Downloading GWX now... I can feel myself becoming excited I think i better go feed the cat now.. :rotfl:

TIA

Edit: why am i just now starting GWX, well one i just got broadband a few weeks ago and 2) ive been playing SH4 since it came out, thought for a bit of atlantic fix i'll try out this GWX.

Last edited by kiwi_2005; 05-25-07 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-25-07, 09:18 PM   #1388
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

I've just found a submerged s-class sub in a convoy.....(see also screenshot thread)

I thought I read in this thread (or maybe BBW told me in the whaling ship thread) that they didn't submerge....it was running diesels by the sound, or making a lot of noise going 7kts on electrics, they're one tough sub by the way, I torpedoed one in the Med and it just wouldn't sink from the one fish (weather too bad for deckgun)

Anyway, another nice surprise from GWX

also made my first ever 100k patrol by sinking HMS King George V and HMS Prince of Wales, both with 2 magnetic fish right underneath the A turret and engines, after several failed attempts at those (and other) BBs in other careers I finally bagged 'em and 2 in the same taskforce too

however, both Brag and I have now heavily abused this particular taskforce going from Scapa Flow around Ireland to Gibraltar in '40 and '41 perhaps it should have a less predictable route in version 1.04 because it always gets reported leaving Scapa, and then it's just waiting for them southwest of ireland, hoping for decent weather and BAM another BB down to the deeps. which is funny once or twice but gets unrealistic the third time....
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 10:37 PM   #1389
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
okay thanks,another question, i like to view my sub when submerged i got a feeling i wont be able to do this with the mod - meaning be very dark to see it for realism. So can i use SH3 commander 2.6 or 2.7 to change this or will their be an option in GWX menu?

Downloading GWX now... I can feel myself becoming excited I think i better go feed the cat now.. :rotfl:

TIA

Edit: why am i just now starting GWX, well one i just got broadband a few weeks ago and 2) ive been playing SH4 since it came out, thought for a bit of atlantic fix i'll try out this GWX.
You can use SH3 Commander to change the water opacity. Great program there with lots of extra options to increase immersion.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 05-25-07, 10:51 PM   #1390
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptinCranky
I've just found a submerged s-class sub in a convoy.....(see also screenshot thread)

I thought I read in this thread (or maybe BBW told me in the whaling ship thread) that they didn't submerge....it was running diesels by the sound, or making a lot of noise going 7kts on electrics, they're one tough sub by the way, I torpedoed one in the Med and it just wouldn't sink from the one fish (weather too bad for deckgun)

Anyway, another nice surprise from GWX

also made my first ever 100k patrol by sinking HMS King George V and HMS Prince of Wales, both with 2 magnetic fish right underneath the A turret and engines, after several failed attempts at those (and other) BBs in other careers I finally bagged 'em and 2 in the same taskforce too

however, both Brag and I have now heavily abused this particular taskforce going from Scapa Flow around Ireland to Gibraltar in '40 and '41 perhaps it should have a less predictable route in version 1.04 because it always gets reported leaving Scapa, and then it's just waiting for them southwest of ireland, hoping for decent weather and BAM another BB down to the deeps. which is funny once or twice but gets unrealistic the third time....
Will do what we can to toughen the task force or reduce its spawn percentage.

AI subs will sink with one torpedo hit... but just take forever.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 05-26-07, 05:47 AM   #1391
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:

TIA

SH3 Cmdr has water clarity settings from 1-20. 18 is approx equivelant of stock

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 06:54 AM   #1392
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Okay thanks guys,

Installed SH3 on Vista and GWX without any problems,

SH3, SF update, Patch 1.4b, GWX, GWX1.03, SH3 Cdr 2.7 & update.

I like what i saw in GWX, to much to mention, the new mouse menus, sub detail, oh and i must remeber to check my fuel! First career, in a type IIA 1939 patrol in AF area, rough seas sub rolls more realistically, felt a bit seasick, after i patroled my grid for 24 hrs i tried to head to the new sub port i spotted on the map near the scarpa flow area islands just to the right (can't remeber name) but fuel was getting low so headed back to kiel. Will try on the next patrol. Those new enemy ports i see are like magnets - i just have to go and check them out! Better be careful tho. GWX is very nice indeed

Anyways im off on another patrol

Old 05-26-07, 07:26 AM   #1393
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptinCranky

I thought I read in this thread (or maybe BBW told me in the whaling ship thread) that they didn't submerge....
No they dont submerge
There are 2 versions of the S class
One always surfaced
One always submerged

What I meant was the surfaced one wont submerge
Or the submerged one surface for that matter

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 08:25 AM   #1394
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

Kiwi I have to say I love your Signature Good job mate. I hope you enjoy GWX as much as the rest of us do
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 08:40 AM   #1395
poor sailor
XO

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnibonian
Kiwi I have to say I love your Signature Good job mate. I hope you enjoy GWX as much as the rest of us do
Yes, and also new signature for GWX team is great. That head of Wolf is much better and dangerously look then one in intro.tga screen of GWX.
poor sailor is offline   Reply With Quote