SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-07, 12:26 PM   #1
Hazelwood
Bosun

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Mission Editor Suggestion

I use the editor a lot and find it very good over-all. What I really need, however, is being able to associate goals, flags and conditions with units other than my own sub. For example, if my custom mission is to ensure that an aircraft carrier is not sunk by an enemy battleship, I need to be able to detect if the carrier reaches a safe zone or port (which it won't manage unless I do a good job). The amount of shipping I personally sink or which zone I might enter is irrelevant. I suggest the design team take a look at a truly superb mission builder such as the one that came with Jane's F/A-18 fighter simulation. There you can set flags and specify conditions for *any* unit. I fact, when it comes to flags, conditions, events and goals all units are treated nearly exactly the same and you can program these things for any one or all of them. For example, if an enemy aircraft reaches a certain waypoint you can trigger an event off that such as having an allied patrol take off or change course, etc. It's an extremely powerful feature and I would think not that diffiult to add to an otherwise fine editor.

It would aso be helpful if an AI unit could be forced to attack a specific target but that's a minor "wish" item.

FWIW,
Cpt J. Hazelwood
Hazelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 02:50 PM   #2
Commodore

Downloads: 24

I can't find the mission editor?
I want to see the type VII uboat and the Flying Dutchman.
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 04:19 PM   #3
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

It would be really nice if there was a new toggle for waypoints (like the "loop" function) that told the unit(s) to zig-zag, with a field for the angle, and the time between turns. The line from waypoint to waypoint would be the base heading.

tater
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 04:27 PM   #4
Jungman
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0

I was looking to scripting in via alot of cut and paste, a zig zag pattern. Plus some more random speeds.

The convoys should be a logical mix too, and all should not be going speed 9 knots. I like variation. It seems all my plots give the same slow, medium, fast speeds.

I thought it was a 30 degree zig-zag every hour? Do you know tater?
Jungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 03:07 PM   #5
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

I took it for granted that I'd be able to set conditions for other units than the player's own boat this time around. Disappointing.

Oh well, what's done is done. Can't be that hard to include anyway, can it?
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 05:24 PM   #6
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Don't know, jungman. The reality was that the large majority of japanese shipping was not convoyed at all, so the skippers would zig zag as they personally saw fit. I have no references with that level of detail on convoy doctrine, sadly. I'll keep an eye out.

I'd be really interested in any automated way to do the zig-zags.

Seems like you could make a script/program that would open a .mis file, and for each group it would take the 2 waypoints, and make the changes automatically. Then you can reopen the mission, and drag the first waypoint into port, and add any others you need.

Perhaps it could make zig-zags between every other pair of waypoints. Like between 1 and 2 it zig-zags, then straight between 2 and 3, then zig-zag 3 to 4, etc.

You'd set it up as a standard using the waypoint pairs that start with an even number to change course, then back to zig zag.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote