SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-17, 03:19 PM   #46
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Hello gap,

I am aware of the possibility of configuring textures via the cfg file in the roster folder in SH4/SH5. Jeff Groves pointed out several times that the concept was already implemented in SH3.

For the HMS Skate but also the Southamptons and Fijis in have good information on the periods the different scheme were carried. To re-create the change of schemes over time, I tried the texture configuration via roster cfg (using only the TextureName entry) but the textures were still picked randomly from the texture list.

So, I guess, I did it not correctly ...
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 06:02 AM   #47
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Thank you for your replies The_Frog, that's kind of you

I will let you know if I discover anything new on the topic. By any chance, do you remember for which SHIII mods the SH4/5 concept was applied? Unfortunately Jeff has not been too active during the last two months...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 03:12 PM   #48
the_frog
Commander

I am not aware of any example application of the configurable texture concept in SH3. It works well in SH4.
Old 07-26-17, 05:07 PM   #49
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
I am not aware of any example application of the configurable texture concept in SH3. It works well in SH4.
Old 08-02-17, 12:42 PM   #50
gap
Navy Seal

Hi again The_Frog,
I have one more question regarding your ships, I hope you don't mind me asking here

I have noticed that your models have the DynamicShadow controller linked to their main node and subsequent SHD_* nodes with DynamicShadowCast controllers attached. My question is; weren't SHIII shadows buggy and disabled with one of the ubi patches? Do your settings make any difference if shadow rendering if not manually re-enabled, or you included them 'just in case'?
Old 08-02-17, 03:18 PM   #51
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

Great question Gap hope there is a definitive answer, some of my future releases have SHD_* nodes and 3D models and some do not. I need to know if including them in everything is a worthwhile task. Dynamic shadow I think was porked and like you posted disabled in 1.4b by UBI.
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 05:14 PM   #52
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey117us View Post
Great question Gap hope there is a definitive answer, some of my future releases have SHD_* nodes and 3D models and some do not. I need to know if including them in everything is a worthwhile task. Dynamic shadow I think was porked and like you posted disabled in 1.4b by UBI.
With The_Frog around, I am sure our doubts are not to far from having a definitive answer
Old 08-03-17, 03:16 PM   #53
the_frog
Commander

Hello,

as a matter of fact, the DynamicShaddow Cast does not work well if at all. It was buggy from the beginning and it could be, as mikey117us recalls, it was disabled with version 1.4.b.

Since I usually use original Ubi files as templates for my own fikles, I simply keep those controllers and the related nodes and, since it does take much effort, add them to new items, just in case ...

In summary, there is absolutely no good reason to keep these nodes or add them to new models. On the other hand, they do no harm
Old 08-04-17, 01:58 PM   #54
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Hello,

as a matter of fact, the DynamicShaddow Cast does not work well if at all. It was buggy from the beginning and it could be, as mikey117us recalls, it was disabled with version 1.4.b.

Since I usually use original Ubi files as templates for my own fikles, I simply keep those controllers and the related nodes and, since it does take much effort, add them to new items, just in case ...

In summary, there is absolutely no good reason to keep these nodes or add them to new models. On the other hand, they do no harm
Roger that, thank you Captain
Old 08-13-17, 04:46 AM   #55
yamatoforever
Weps

Downloads: 20

As usual a great job of you. Thank you.
yamatoforever is offline   Reply With Quote