SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-17, 10:16 AM   #4231
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thousands, Capn. I'm in the "deep" deep area. Notice the Longitude markings. That 152°10'E seems to be key. If I'm East of that mark, no sound. If I'm West of that mark, I can get The New Sound. I just haven't figured out what the trigger is, nor what the sound is, other than it's something in the Sound folder... My ejju-mah-kate-idd guess is that it's an explosion sound's "tail", like a reverb tail, like we're hearing just the last second or two of the sound, but I dunno. The original "The Sound" was part of the original "Crash Dive" sound that got "stuck" (descriptive, scientific term) in the audio engine, and could only escape when the sound system was re-set with a TC change. As you see in that video, I went up to 16x at the most in TC, but for whatever the reason, upon reaching periscope depth, it triggered the sound. Startled me so much that I hit the keyboard to get that Captain's report... Do you want me to send you the mission file?
No don't send the file. Let me find it on my own.

I'm wondering if there's something in the terrain makeup that's causing the sound. In other words a "seam" that's between two different area's of the terrain environment that "raises" the modeled sea floor to within striking distance of the sub. That's why I asked about the "Depth below Keel" figure when you hear the sound.

I don't mean you'll "see" the sea floor raise. The sea floor model can still look the same. The behind the scenes sea floor depth that's calculated could be off though, causing the sub to hit this error in calculation....which produces the sound your hearing.

The reason I'm saying this is what I wrote to s7rikeback yesterday about. In his listing of all .sim file Draught (draft) figures (they are what's used to calculate the depth of a ship), they are larger than the Draft figures of the Recognition Manual. This .sim Draught figure is the "Substance" of the ship below waterline, even though it isn't drawn on the 3D model! I couldn't help to notice the RM figures (that are from the .cfg file) are much smaller than the actual measurements that the .sim file uses...those "Substance" figures of the ship. The reason is due to getting a "hit" for both a Contact Detonator torp and the use of a Magnetic Detonator torp. You're to use the so called "Draft" depth of the Recognition Manual (the .cfg figure) and go below it by 3 to 5 ft for the Magnetic torpedo to do its job. Well, it won't do its job if the .sim file Draught (draft) doesn't go lower than the listed .cfg file Draft figure so you can make a Magnetic Torpedo strike something.

Here's the point, this area around Truk, what's the depth of the sea in this area? When you look at some of these ship Draught= figures from the .sim file their 40-50-60 ft in depth. Is this Truk area sea floor that deep? In your video's, I noticed you looking under the ships to "see" where the keel of the ship was in comparison of the sea floor. BUT, this visual look is not what you'll actually get.....the sea floor "Substance" comes from whatever the figures the Terrain .sim files state it is, AND a ship only clears it when the ships .sim Draught figure is less than what the Terrain floor figure says it is. Not what the appearance of the 3D model renderings are.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 11:33 AM   #4232
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
No don't send the file. Let me find it on my own.

I'm wondering if there's something in the terrain makeup that's causing the sound. In other words a "seam" that's between two different area's of the terrain environment that "raises" the modeled sea floor to within striking distance of the sub. That's why I asked about the "Depth below Keel" figure when you hear the sound.

I don't mean you'll "see" the sea floor raise. The sea floor model can still look the same. The behind the scenes sea floor depth that's calculated could be off though, causing the sub to hit this error in calculation....which produces the sound your hearing.

The reason I'm saying this is what I wrote to s7rikeback yesterday about. In his listing of all .sim file Draught (draft) figures (they are what's used to calculate the depth of a ship), they are larger than the Draft figures of the Recognition Manual. This .sim Draught figure is the "Substance" of the ship below waterline, even though it isn't drawn on the 3D model! I couldn't help to notice the RM figures (that are from the .cfg file) are much smaller than the actual measurements that the .sim file uses...those "Substance" figures of the ship. The reason is due to getting a "hit" for both a Contact Detonator torp and the use of a Magnetic Detonator torp. You're to use the so called "Draft" depth of the Recognition Manual (the .cfg figure) and go below it by 3 to 5 ft for the Magnetic torpedo to do its job. Well, it won't do its job if the .sim file Draught (draft) doesn't go lower than the listed .cfg file Draft figure so you can make a Magnetic Torpedo strike something.

Here's the point, this area around Truk, what's the depth of the sea in this area? When you look at some of these ship Draught= figures from the .sim file their 40-50-60 ft in depth. Is this Truk area sea floor that deep? In your video's, I noticed you looking under the ships to "see" where the keel of the ship was in comparison of the sea floor. BUT, this visual look is not what you'll actually get.....the sea floor "Substance" comes from whatever the figures the Terrain .sim files state it is, AND a ship only clears it when the ships .sim Draught figure is less than what the Terrain floor figure says it is. Not what the appearance of the 3D model renderings are.
That was precisely why I was going under them. I did not realize however, that the figure was ~that~ much higher... Truk is no place for a ship then, with the game in "Stock" trim... When I went to re-work the terrain in the area, there are a couple of adjoining segments that are NOT 601x601. These appear to be "Stock" segments though, so maybe that is part of the issue. I have found something else rather interesting in the area... There are several groups, two of them in the 43a layer, that spawn every hour on the hour at a 100% rating. Wow. The TaskForce file has one originating at Truk with 2 BB and 2CV, 1CA, 1CL and 4DD... I have turned that one way down. I am setting ~ALL~ the RGG that traverse the Truk waters to approx (did not measure scientifically) one third of what they were, and increasing the time frame between. If you zoom in on the Truk area, "play" a merge in the ME of all the layers, It looks like Philadelphia commuter traffic... Entirely too much of it. I'm doing a double-check of my triple-check, and then I'll post this for you guys to review. All this that I have touched in this is the routes and the speeds within the Truk Lagoon, and "dredged" little channels, similar to what Carotio did with his Truk mod. I also re-did the Jap_Minefields file to have passage for said groups between minefields and / or subnets, so they don't get hung on the nets, or blow themselves up (as frequently)... I have not observed a full implementation yet myself... Hopefully, other areas aren't as bad as this... like the Philippines and Formosa, though I know they are, because I can't help but to see them when I'm changing Truk... It'd be interesting to compare this to the stock game's layers...

Edit - forgot to mention again - plenty of ocean beneath the submarine. I did get it to do that noise again after diving to periscope depth. I want to try a few more checks, but start East of 152°10' line, drive directly West and cross said line. Then dive to periscope depth. I haven't figured out if it's use TC before or after crossing the line yet, but apparently, ~anything~ above 8x will do it. I've not tried 4x yet...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 12:17 PM   #4233
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0
Icon1 Report

Ahoy Captains,
Up and running with Public Beta Version 0.56 with NO problems! First patrol was sent to South China Seas, no anomalies.
End of Report
Larry
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 12:38 PM   #4234
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
Ahoy Captains,
Up and running with Public Beta Version 0.56 with NO problems! First patrol was sent to South China Seas, no anomalies.
End of Report
Larry
Amazing! Is there hope? Is that a light at the end of the tunnel? Or an oncoming train?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 01:29 PM   #4235
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Also up and running with .56 Beta. Took a couple of missions to Truk to hear the "sound". So far, all running nicely. Did notice a change to the Orders Bar. Previous .53.Beta displayed a button to request Target Id when target is locked on the Periscope orders bar. That has been replaced with Report Nearest Visual contact. But, this same button is also displayed on the Binocular Orders bar, as well as with a shortcut on the keyboard. Do we need three of these?, and why was the ID Target button removed from the Periscope Orders bar?
I do like the addition of turning off/on the SD radar. Learning to change tactics with this feature regarding avoiding aircraft. Can't sit a periscope depth with the SD antennae up while the AC pass by anymore, but I think this new feature adds to the realism.
Liking what I see so far. Thanks to all on the team.
Old 03-15-17, 01:32 PM   #4236
CapnScurvy
Admiral

I just finished going over all of the 42a, 42b, 43a Campaign .mis files for their Speed= figure. I changed the one's that had anything from 0.000001 to 2.000000 into them traveling at Speed=3.000000. This should help in keeping those slaggers from gumming up the works. I'm going to look at the other Campaign .mis files before I'm through, looking for the same Speed figures and changing as I go.

Propbeanie, you'll be able to combine my changes with yours?

======

I've still not left to check Truk out for myself. I'll finish up this Speed checking before I do. I'm not messing with anything else in the .mis files, so go ahead make changes in spawn rate % all you want.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-15-17, 01:41 PM   #4237
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Did notice a change to the Orders Bar. Previous .53.Beta displayed a button to request Target Id when target is locked on the Periscope orders bar........ why was the ID Target button removed from the Periscope Orders bar?
I felt the Target ID was a cheat.

Quote:
I do like the addition of turning off/on the SD radar. Learning to change tactics with this feature regarding avoiding aircraft. Can't sit at periscope depth with the SD antennae up while the AC pass by anymore, but I think this new feature adds to the realism.
No, but put the sub at "Radar Depth" you'll still get both SD and SJ radars to provide contact reports, as long as both are "Turned ON". Your smaller silhouette should still provide stealth to your radar operations.

Quote:
Old 03-15-17, 01:58 PM   #4238
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Have to agree that the Target Id is/was something of a cheat.
I am using radar depth to track incoming airplanes but I submerge more now when they get close as I have to believe they'll see more of "me" at radar depth than at periscope depth, especially in calm waters.
Not complaining, I do like the changes you've made.
Old 03-15-17, 02:03 PM   #4239
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I just finished going over all of the 42a...

Propbeanie, you'll be able to combine my changes with yours?

======

I've still not left to check Truk out for myself. I'll finish up this Speed checking before I do. I'm not messing with anything else in the .mis files, so go ahead make changes in spawn rate % all you want.
Easy-peasy to merge the two sets. If you want to, just post the edits on Area 51, and I'll combine them tonight. I'm only in 15 of the files that "touch" Truk. The "Speed=" line is easy enough to see for WinMerge. I'm also only changing the spawn rates on those RGG that come through Truk. In all, the traffic should be down between 1/4 & 1/3 there, except for the SubHunters and local traffic. I cannot believe that I found another TaskForce group spawning at a 100% rate once every hour...

Old 03-15-17, 02:18 PM   #4240
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Not really a cheat when you've added so many new ships to the game, and the recognition manual is badly ordered and missing profile views. Honestly i get tired of flipping through it there's so many in it. I sometimes just let the XO do it through a hotkey.

And before RR says the lack of info in the rec manual is realistic.. i'd like to point out that using map contacts defeats your entire argument. With map contacts you have no need for the recognition manual at all.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 04:03 PM   #4241
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
And before RR says the lack of info in the rec manual is realistic.. i'd like to point out that using map contacts defeats your entire argument. With map contacts you have no need for the recognition manual at all.
Explain that. Without a digital input for range it's still important to know what the ID of the target is if you use conventional American targeting. If you have radar, you know the range precisely anyway in the real sub. Our radar is broken so map contacts on is the only way to achieve the precision possible with the real submarine.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 04:45 PM   #4242
propbeanie

There's one thing I keep meaning to ask about the SH4 RecMan... Is it possible, and I know I'm talking old tech, but is it possible to get "tabs" like in the old SH1 RecMan? Sort the vessels by "type"??... or am I thinking Up Periscope or Silent Service?...

Old 03-15-17, 05:20 PM   #4243
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
There's one thing I keep meaning to ask about the SH4 RecMan... Is it possible, and I know I'm talking old tech, but is it possible to get "tabs" like in the old SH1 RecMan? Sort the vessels by "type"??... or am I thinking Up Periscope or Silent Service?...
No, I don't think so. The hard coded file doesn't have such a script, so we can't just force it to happen.

Quote:
Old 03-15-17, 05:53 PM   #4244
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

RR: with map contacts you dont have to ID the ship. You just look at the map, plot a point, wait a few minutes plot another point and voila! Everything you need is there. Course, Range, Speed, AOB.. and without any errors.

ppl like me on the other hand (which are few i suppose), who never even look at the map when attacking (to simulate the problems of attacking with real nav without acutally using real nav).. has to ID each and every ship and use the stadimeter. Which means flipping back and forth through that really long out of order rec manual that's missing angled profile views. I didn't mind it in the stock game, but in FOTRSU it gets old really quick due to the large numbers of new ships.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids

Last edited by gutted; 03-15-17 at 07:07 PM.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 08:13 PM   #4245
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
"Movie" forthcoming... watch this space...

Let me know if that's the sound y'all get too. It's definitely in the wav audio...
That's the sound!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote