SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-17, 02:04 PM   #1696
cookiemonste
Medic

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

Just started reading the Judge Dredd comics and damn they are good.

And a random question: Could anybody recomend me a good book about the US submarine warfare in the pacific?
cookiemonste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 04:39 AM   #1697
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonste View Post
Just started reading the Judge Dredd comics and damn they are good.

And a random question: Could anybody recomend me a good book about the US submarine warfare in the pacific?

The Luck of the Draw: The Memoir of a World War II Submariner: From Savo Island to the Silent Service by USN (Ret.) Captain C. Kenneth Ruiz

Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II by Eugene B. Fluckey
Old 04-09-17, 07:55 AM   #1698
tmccarthy
Admiral

Tin Can Titans: The Heroic Men and Ships of World War II's Most Decorated Navy Destroyer Squadron by John Wukovits

Old 04-28-17, 11:40 PM   #1699
tmccarthy
Admiral

America's First Clash with Iran: The Tanker War, 1987-88 by Lee Allen Zatarain

Old 05-09-17, 02:39 PM   #1700
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Although I've been reading other books as well, I've been chipping away at this for almost two months now:

It's absolutely massive and in-depth, almost one million words in total, and has something like 3,000 photographs and almost 1,000 pieces of line art. Spent $100 for a signed copy shipped direct from the publisher, and I don't regret spending a penny. Still, it's an absolutely exhausting read, which explains why I'm taking a break about 4/5th of the way through volume two.

My amazon review, if anyone's curious:
https://www.amazon.com/review/R2W01X...SIN=1580072496

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 02:54 PM   #1701
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ Now that looks rather tasty

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 05:28 PM   #1702
Subnuts
The Old Man

Not exactly the deepest book on the subject imaginable, but it has plenty of great photographs, and does a pretty good job covering the different eras of tank development equitably (1914-1939, WWII, and the Cold War each receive about the same number of pages). Also covers vehicles such as assault guns, armored cars, scout cars, counterinsurgency vehicles, etc. Also, some interesting "how it works" material in the back for us tank newbies. It even comes with two color prints (I got the M3A1 and StuG III). Not bad for $18!

Old 05-23-17, 04:06 PM   #1703
Subnuts
The Old Man

My review of Tank I wrote for Amazon:

Quote:
I keep saying I'm "not that interested" in tanks, but the more I study the subject, the more I find myself digging deeper into it. Being a fan of DK's books in general, I purchased this one out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. My copy came with prints of the M3A1 and StuG III, although I'm not sure if every copy comes with the same. For an $18 coffee table book, it's definitely a bit more in depth than you might expect.

Anyone who's purchased any of DK's other vehicle books (Train, Classic Car, Tractor, etc.) will find themselves in familiar territory. The photographs are mostly excellent, and the 15 "feature tank" spreads have some wonderfully detailed close-ups of interior and exterior features. As I've come to expect from the DK, the two and four-page spreads are attractively laid out. Although most tank references focus mainly on World War II, this book does an excellent job covering the main eras of tank development in an equitable fashion. World War I through 1939, World War II, and the Cold War to the present each receive about the same number of pages. Along with tanks, a surprisingly healthy chunk of this book is devoted to other kinds of armored vehicles, such as assault guns, armored cars, scout cars, and counterinsurgency vehicles. The majority of the vehicles come from the Bovington Tank Museum, so there's definitely a bit of a British bias here. Thankfully, there are plenty of vehicles from other nations, and some really obscure tanks, to balance things out. There's also an excellent reference section in the back, with explanations of different types of armor-piercing shells, suspension systems, engines, etc. work, and a handy glossary.

My main disappointment is how stingy most of the individual vehicle descriptions are. Except for the 15 "feature tanks," each receives a couple sentences, along with the year they entered service, country, weight, engine, and main armament. I understand that books like this are intended as "gateway drugs" to more serious study. Considering that tanks are trade-offs between mobility, firepower, and protection, it's odd to see nothing about maximum speed, range (on road and cross-country), or armor thickness. The text will occasionally mention that a tank had "poor mobility" or was "well armored," but there's a disappointing lack of statistical data.

Some moments of shallowness aside, this book is an excellent value for money, and should fascinate anyone with an interest in tanks. I'm not sure if it's really "definitive," but it's definitely more fun to browse through than the stodgy military references I usually prefer to study.

Old 05-26-17, 01:14 PM   #1704
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The Heyday of Sail - volume 4 in Conway's History of the Ship series.
Volume 1 was about the development of the first boats into ships, ending with the Viking Longships.
Volume 2 covered the Mediterranean Galley, from the ancient Phoenicians all the way to the gun-armed Galleasses of the Renaissance.
Volume 3 talked about the development of the merchant/warship, from the British Cog through the Spanish Caravel and Galleon.
Volume 4 covers the development of the Galleon into the sailing warships of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

Volume 5 gives the same treatment to the sailing merchant, from 1650 through 1830. As always, individual articles are written by the leading experts in the field, with plenty of charts, graphs, period drawings and paintings. It compares the British and Dutch East Indiamen, the Dutch Fluyt and the development of Mediterranean shipping during the period.

It is lacking in the area of Asian shipping at the time. The authors are aware of this and apologize in advance for not having included this important aspect of ship development.

That aside, the book is a fine follow-on to the first four volumes, and to someone like me well worth reading. If you're looking for sea stories or exciting adventure, skip it. These are basically good reference volumes and valued for explaining what different ship-builders and shipping companies were thinking at the time, and how this affected where and how ships were built and used during the period of the sailing merchant ship.
Old 05-26-17, 02:30 PM   #1705
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
It is lacking in the area of Asian shipping at the time. The authors are aware of this and apologize in advance for not having included this important aspect of ship development.
Sounds like interesting junk to me! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_(ship)

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 04:21 PM   #1706
Subnuts
The Old Man

Spent some time with the new "Anatomy of the Ship" book on the Yamato and Musashi (okay, so technically it's a revised edition), and wrote a "brief" (okay, for me!) review of the book for Amazon.

Quote:
When it was first published in 1988, the "Anatomy of the Ship" entry on the battleship 'Yamato' quickly became the definitive modeler's guide to the ship, with second-hand copies fetching upwards of $150 whenever it went out of print. I never was a serious model builder, but I spent hours poring over Janusz Skulski's remarkably detailed schematics. This new (and presumably final) edition retains most of the plans from the original while adding nearly 400 more, including dozens of new close-up detail views, and a couple hundred devoted solely to the 'Musashi.' The biggest visual improvement lies in Stefan Draminski's incredible computer models of the two ships, detailed right down to individual rivets and deck planks. These are presented alongside Skulski's traditional line drawings, and give a much more fully fleshed-out idea of how the ships would have appeared in real life.

The Japanese destroyed most of the data on these ships at the end of World War II, along with just about everything on their internal arrangements. That said, this edition features some new drawings of the hull structure, and the deck plans are a bit more detailed in places. Anyone seriously interested in scratch-building or super-detailing their 'Yamato' or 'Musashi,' or in the aesthetic details of Japanese warships, will find this book indispensable. If the devil is really in the details, than this book needs an exorcist. You'll find diagrams of chequer plate arrangements, the funnel's hood and gutter, the degaussing cable socket, the bridge's wind baffle, crane platforms, the turret awning stanchions, and so on and so forth, to an almost absurd extent. At 336 pages, this is the biggest "Anatomy" yet, and the most detailed since the one on the HMS 'Dreadnought.'

As someone who owned the original edition, this edition has some annoying omissions and quirks in presentation which keep me from giving it five stars. As nice as Mr. Draminski's computer models may be, whoever decided to present six to a page, with the middle pair falling right into the gutter, needs to find a new day job. Some of the plans aren't treated much better, with important details falling into the binding. Some of the earlier Anatomies got around this problem by separating the plans across two pages with an inch-wide space in the middle. Some of the plans have been reduced in scale to fit alongside the computer models, while others have been omitted completely in this edition. Many of the drawings depicting the interior arrangements of the 18-inch turrets and their ammunition handling facilities, ammunition cross-sections, and the main fire control computer are gone. Although the histories of the ship are more detailed, the introduction omits some of the tables and minor details that were in the first edition.

Although it has some irritating flaws, this is no doubt going to be THE go-to book for anyone seriously interested in these ships, or who intend to build one of the dozens of commercially available model kits of them. As much as it frustrates me that material from the original was removed, there's so much new detail in here that it's practically a new book, and any new books in this series are a good thing to me!

Old 05-28-17, 06:26 PM   #1707
GM_Skidjit
Swabbie

Listening to Steel Hearts, Iron Boat on Audible. I have Iron Coffins and Das Boot in coming this week.
GM_Skidjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 10:16 PM   #1708
SeaDrake
Watch

Location: up on Dugdown Mountain north Georgia no joke that is the mountains name
Downloads: 61

I am reading multiple books as always about 10 at a time ( no joke that is the only way I know how to without losing my interest in reading I get board easy)
lets Das Boot, For my country's freedom by Alexander Kent, a couple of star wars and star trek books and oh I am review applied physics.
you see I am disaled can not get around very well due to spinabafata and other things I am also autistic so bear with me
I live on a fixed income of less then $700

SeaDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 06:17 AM   #1709
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Skidjit View Post
Listening to Steel Hearts, Iron Boat on Audible. I have Iron Coffins and Das Boot in coming this week.

Great books to be reading / listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDrake View Post
I am reading multiple books as always about 10 at a time ( no joke that is the only way I know how to without losing my interest in reading I get board easy)
lets Das Boot, For my country's freedom by Alexander Kent, a couple of star wars and star trek books and oh I am review applied physics.
you see I am disaled can not get around very well due to spinabafata and other things I am also autistic so bear with me
I live on a fixed income of less then $700

Sorry to hear of your health Issues but it doesn't seem to be holding you back at all. If you get bored easily, the mission generator on Silent Hunter 3 can be custom tailored with merchants, Warships or both. You can also set your attack from astern or abeam. Doing that, you can approximate and simulate the attacks, stories and accounts you just read about. Maybe others know if you can do that with other submarine simulations.

Good luck with everything and I hope you keep going strong.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 12:01 PM   #1710
Jonesy
Sailor man

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccarthy View Post
The Luck of the Draw: The Memoir of a World War II Submariner: From Savo Island to the Silent Service by USN (Ret.) Captain C. Kenneth Ruiz

Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II by Eugene B. Fluckey

Thanks for the suggestions, I have to get my hands on those too.

I am currently reading
"Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan" by Clay Blair Jr

which is full of interesting details, but perhaps even too much detail, i seems to list every war patrol in the war....which might prove to be too much.

I also have the habit of reading several books at the same time, normally 3 or 4, and I usually rotate between then, picking one a day.

outside the naval field I am currently also reading:

Mob Boss: The Life of Little Al D’Arco, the Man Who Brought Down the Mafia
by Jerry Capeci, Tom Robbins, beeing a fan of the Sopranos, goodfellas, etc, I enjoy books on the american mob.

and also

The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch series #4) by Michael Connelly

Tags
books