SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.23%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 194 18.65%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.13%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 551 52.98%
Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-08, 09:14 PM   #46
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Wow, this is fascinating. I'm an old-time junkie myself, so whenever anyone started threads about more modern ships and warfare I would always post that it was outside my interest area and I couldn't care less. I know, I too find it annoying when someone posts on a thread just to say he's not interested in that thread's subject. So why post here? Because in spite of my lack of enthusiasm for the subject I think it's great that people who are interested in the era have decided to do something about it. Who knows, I might even be tempted to recreate Nautilus' under-the-icecap polar voyage, or even follow Triton around the world submerged, if that's possible.

A word of encouragement: don't underestimate what you'll be able to do with SH4. It wasn't very long ago that people were saying that it was impossible to have player-driven surface ships in SH3, and now there's the new Schnellboot mod, and everybody's loving it.

Best of luck in this project. Maybe I won't want to play it, or maybe I will. Either way I'll be keeping my fingers crossed hoping that you guys can make it work.
Old 02-23-08, 11:41 PM   #47
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

I used Google translate to translate the Sukhoi Russian web page,from Russian to English. view it here.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

WOW!!!!!!! O.K I'm officially excited!!!!!!!!

Last edited by badaboom; 02-24-08 at 07:05 AM.
badaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 12:38 AM   #48
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

my only concern is the campaign.....

will they be albe to mak a fun campaign based on Cold war events that never happened. Hopefully yes. Also, the lack of modern ships brings the ambience down a bit...and the realism
Old 02-24-08, 12:39 AM   #49
cheese123
Gunner

Downloads: 1

I cant find the download link for Le Redoutable.
cheese123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 04:04 AM   #50
AJ!
Commodore

Downloads: 0

Those models look top notch. This really does look like a first class mod. Will we see missiles launched from the subs in the near future? Is there also a chance of adding the Regulus missile in the early stages of the cold war?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulus_missile
Old 02-24-08, 06:47 AM   #51
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 134

After talk with autor submarines (Dagon) he agree place him units in my FF after full complete units and repair bags in subs only. So, now I'm wait him word for place in near future.
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 07:10 AM   #52
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3
Default Natural Progression

Dear Subsim Community,

I know some of the die-hard Silent Hunter puritans out there will balk at the series moving on from their beloved WWII arena, but time marches on regardless. As an example, I would ask them to look at EA's wonderful Battlefield series that started in 1942, but now has moved on to modern day weaponry and as a result, is one of the most popular online gaming experiences of all-time. The creation of a Cold-War era subsim Mod, based on the Silent Hunter engine, is just an experiment in viability for a potential official sequel set during this era. We all know that in reality this time period didn't provide a lot of 'Action' for sub Commanders, but that doesn't mean that we can't throw in a few theoretical elements. For example, a lot of 'War games' took place during ths period. While participant's weren't firing live ordinance, I'm sure it was still pretty exciting. In addition to this; I'm sure alot of stuff 'went down' that is still classified. Various, unexplained sinking, Sub's returning from patrol with damage of an unknown origin, reactor leaks etc. I mean Tom Clancy's famous novel is based during this period and that scenario was frighteningly feasible and still is! In summation; I feel and so do many others, that there is room in the Silent Hunter Cannon for an Cold-War set Subsim. If it fails, what have we lost? We can and shall return to the WWII arena, and maybe in attempting to broaden our horizon's, we will have learnt something along the way. On behalf of all Subsimer's I humbly ask for your support.

Cheers!

The General
Old 02-24-08, 07:30 AM   #53
USS Sea Tiger
XO

Downloads: 52
Default Very nice

I look forward to seeing this develop. I have a Skipjack model I would love to chase about in this,
USS Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 11:49 AM   #54
Steel_Tomb
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

If only Dangerous Waters had graphics like this lol. Good job, just worried that lack of waterfall etc and modern ships is going to ruin it.

System Spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz | 4Gb Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2 PC-2 6400 RAM |
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640mb PCI-E | Creative X-fi sound card | 250Gb HDD |

Rest In Peace Dave, you will be missed.
Steel_Tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 01:12 PM   #55
Snakeeyes
Captain

Location: trailing 1400 yards behind an Oscar-II with my outer doors open
Downloads: 54

Wow.... wow.... wow....

The merging of the graphics of SHIV with my favorite submarine era....

I wouldn't make a good beta tester because my time is REALLY limited until June but I had to make sure that you knew how excited I am and have your full support.

THANK YOU!
Old 02-24-08, 02:15 PM   #56
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

DO WANT!!

Seriously, this is superb and I will be following this closely!
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 03:03 PM   #57
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

Whoooooooa
Old 02-24-08, 05:08 PM   #58
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

I totally agree with the stated above.Even though by that period,the detection devices where not very accurate,the approach to a highest fidelity will be compulsory to get a correct balance between different units.
Also,lets say every unit command room is modeled in more or less detail.Do you think will be possible to add some more compartment like Captain cabin or Officer quarters?
This would give more reality,in prolonged periods below the surface,one needs to evade out of the control room sometimes
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 06:29 PM   #59
Admiral_Olof
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 53
Excellent idea!!!
I followed the debate of a Cold War mod while it was a "hot potato" the last time. Personally, I think it' could be a beautiful thing.
I'm an avid player of Dangerous Waters, a great game technically, but unfortunately lacking the air and ambience of the SH titles.
I won't go into the tech talk - I'm not a programmer and my graphic skills are strictly two-dimensional. I am, however, since long a GM in several story-driven role-playing games and a part-time writer. I would simply love to sink my teeth into creating a beliaveble story-line for a campaign. I know some of the criticism against a Cold War mod was that things never got "hot". Well - would it be so terrible if we re-wrote history into a "what-if"? Someone pointed out the Cuban Missile Crisis as a possible start point. I would agree. Someone else mentioned the Korean War. I'm sure a campaign involving diesel-electric subs could be a real treat. Is there any reason why a mod should be a one-campaign matter? Wouldn't it be possible to focus one 50's campaign to, say, the Korean War and a 60's to a post-Cuba hot war?
And - perhaps the most chilling alternative - a campaign where the sub leaves port for what is then peace-time, while during the days at sea, matters on land deteriorate into...war? Almost war? "Hostile intent"?
MMmmmmm....the possibilities given by the news broadcasts, dubious orders, mission updates. Confusion. Chill. Fear. And maybe, Armageddon waiting around the corner...

Stick to this idea fellows - it's simply too good to let go of.
Best regards,
Admiral_Olof

Admiral_Olof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 09:21 PM   #60
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

While a great idea, I think anything that goes beyond 1955 is simply too ambitious for the Silent Hunter engine. Keep it simple.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote