SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-18, 02:55 AM   #1
Ruprecht 69
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Crew

Hi guys, some more help required please!
How do I replace injured crew once I’ve docked at port? I can buy new guys with renown but it’s not obvious how to get rid of crew who have reached 0/100.

On another note, I’m currently on a photo recon mission to Hiroshima. Came across an unaccompanied Hiryu fleet carried which I sank with 61 AP shells. They tried to run it aground to save her! Or was that a bug which made it run into shore?
Had this game from day 1 and still things about it that I don’t know......
Ruprecht 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-18, 02:12 AM   #2
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruprecht 69 View Post
Hi guys, some more help required please!
How do I replace injured crew once I’ve docked at port? I can buy new guys with renown but it’s not obvious how to get rid of crew who have reached 0/100.

On another note, I’m currently on a photo recon mission to Hiroshima. Came across an unaccompanied Hiryu fleet carried which I sank with 61 AP shells. They tried to run it aground to save her! Or was that a bug which made it run into shore?
Had this game from day 1 and still things about it that I don’t know......
For the "dead" crewman, just mouse over him and drag him off to the left side, to the area where all the available replacements are listed.

As for the Hiryu, I'm not sure. If that was the direction it was headed to start with it might just try to complete a course, or there may be evasive actions in the base game logic. In the same sense, I've seen ships from a convoy leave the convoy track after one or more are sunk. Eventually they come back to the planned track. Your Hiryu might have been doing the same.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-18, 04:05 AM   #3
Ruprecht 69
Swabbie

Cheers Mr Bait, he was definitely carrying out evasive manoeuvring.
Took photos of Hiroshima, sank an Ise, Shikkaku, 2 Hiryu.
Made my way out eventually, ran at 7 knots max back to Pearl. Went for refit and game crashed!
Luckily I saved it near home port. Reloaded, crashed again, what’s happened d’ya think?
Old 08-26-18, 05:44 AM   #4
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Cheers Mr Bait, he was definitely carrying out evasive manoeuvring.
Took photos of Hiroshima, sank an Ise, Shikkaku, 2 Hiryu.
Made my way out eventually, ran at 7 knots max back to Pearl. Went for refit and game crashed!
Luckily I saved it near home port. Reloaded, crashed again, what’s happened d’ya think?
Often that depends on your setup. It can be caused by installing the game in the default directory that is controlled by Windows. First thing is to make sure you have installed it to something like C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV or similar, but not in either of the Windows Program Files folders. Next is to ensure the game can use more than the 2Gb of memory by running the Large Address Aware utility available for download on this site. Very easy to do.

By the time you have completed a patrol with large tonnage, your files have grown to a size that is difficult for the game to handle in memory. Not saying you should not sink the maximum tonnage possible, but you do need to be aware that it will affect the game adversely. Keep in mind that the average WWII fleet boat skipper did not sink massive amounts of tonnage per patrol. It is fun to do, but the game has problems with it. Another factor is that excessive time compression (too fast) with an already large mission file may cause a crash. Better to keep it to 2048 or less, even though it makes for longer passage across the Pacific. Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-18, 07:36 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Also there Ruprecht 69, which version of SH4 are you using? Does your game have the Uboats in it?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 08:41 AM   #6
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Another factor is that excessive time compression (too fast) with an already large mission file may cause a crash. Better to keep it to 2048 or less, even though it makes for longer passage across the Pacific. Hope this helps.
Thats when I fire up the radio and listen to Captain Midnight serials and cozy up to whatever book I'm trying to read
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-18, 05:10 PM   #7
Ruprecht 69
Swabbie

Cheers for your valuable advice guys. I’ll try to carry out the downloads this week and see how I go, I’m a complete noob when it comes to the LAA stuff etc.
Probably really easy to do if you’re a confident PC user but to add some context, how many of you understand Cricket?! That’s what PCs are like to me!!!

I’ll check which version I’m running, it’s a disc from 2005 I think but I’ll defo confirm.
I used to play Silent Service on Sinclair Spectrum I think it was and I’ve loved sub games ever since. I’ve also got Silent Victory board game, excellent way to spend an afternoon on a cold dark winter day!
Dave
Old 08-28-18, 09:07 AM   #8
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Cheers for your valuable advice guys. I’ll try to carry out the downloads this week and see how I go, I’m a complete noob when it comes to the LAA stuff etc.
Probably really easy to do if you’re a confident PC user but to add some context, how many of you understand Cricket?! That’s what PCs are like to me!!!

I’ll check which version I’m running, it’s a disc from 2005 I think but I’ll defo confirm.
I used to play Silent Service on Sinclair Spectrum I think it was and I’ve loved sub games ever since. I’ve also got Silent Victory board game, excellent way to spend an afternoon on a cold dark winter day!
Dave
The most helpful utility by far will be LAA. When you open it the first time you will have to add the program you want it to "adjust". Click on the ADD tab, Choose FILES, and then look in the base folder to which you installed the game. Highlight the executable (in this case, SH4.exe) file in your selected game folder with your mouse. This action will add the directory\file name for your game to the list in LAA. Then check the box next to it, click on the "WITH SELECTED" tab, and then click on the FORCE LARGE ADDRESS AWARE tab. That's all there is to it. If you have other games you can simply add them as above. Just close LAA when you are finished adding and forcing games.

No strain, no pain (unlike a Yank trying to understand Cricket!).

Old 08-28-18, 10:03 AM   #9
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Ruprecht 69, the earliest release of SH4 was 2007 in the U.S. I believe the European version was a bit earlier. The DVD was version 1.0. You can tell which version you have by looking at the "main" menu screen, in the lower right corner:

By all means update your version to at least v1.4......it cost's nothing to patch it that far. The 1.4 patch can be download from the SubSim's "Download" section for SH4....a link is HERE. To patch it to the next/final version (1.5) you'll need to pay for it!?! It comes with the U-boat "Addon"; some editions are called the "Gold Edition" which has the complete game up to v1.5.

One thing you need to know is that LAA only helps if you have at least 4 gigs of memory RAM in your computer. If you have less than 4 it's not worth installing the app. It just won't help this old game to run better, if you don't have the extra RAM. IF you do have the Memory....BY ALL MEANS, USE IT!!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 02:37 AM   #10
Ruprecht 69
Swabbie

Thanks guys, I’ll look into all this next week once my visitors have left.
Thanks for the step by step instructions Torpedobait, that’s the sort of assistance I need!
I’ll check the version and download LAA if I have enough RAM, another great bit of advice Capnscurvy.
Do I need to delete the current game file on C drive and reload it into its own folder or can I “migrate” it with a drag and drop? And that’s also where the LAA and any updates I may want to download go, yes?
Keep dodging those DDs.
Dave
Old 08-30-18, 07:16 AM   #11
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Thanks guys, I’ll look into all this next week once my visitors have left.
Thanks for the step by step instructions Torpedobait, that’s the sort of assistance I need!
I’ll check the version and download LAA if I have enough RAM, another great bit of advice Capnscurvy.
Do I need to delete the current game file on C drive and reload it into its own folder or can I “migrate” it with a drag and drop? And that’s also where the LAA and any updates I may want to download go, yes?
Keep dodging those DDs.
Dave
"Do I need to delete the current game file on C drive and reload it into its own folder or can I “migrate” it with a drag and drop?

Depends on a lot of things.

You haven't told us what's your computer OS (Operating System); How much memory do you have? What your game version is?

If you still have a Windows XP system, you can leave it in the Programs folder and the game will run just fine there (with or without additional apps/mods added). With Vista, or Win 7 and later, and you need to have it in it's own folder....not the "Programs" folder. If you're going to have to move it, just have the OS remove it for you, then restart the installation, making sure you install someplace other than the Programs folder. LAA probably should be put into its own folder too....outside of the Programs folder, but you haven't told us how much memory you have? No need to use the thing if you don't have enough memory to help your game.

When installing, make sure you have these things checkmarked:

You need the DirectX 9.0c and Windows Media 9 Codecs added to your system! No matter what OS system you use.

And the patch is important.....putting your game to the latest version will correct a lot of things......like not needing the disk to be in the DVD player when starting, as version 1.0 required......or only having the metric system when using in-game measurements.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote