SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-18, 07:23 AM   #1
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default Cycle Tubes? Other Commands? Acronyms?

Hi All, I'm curious about what the command to "Cycle the tubes" means?

Finally, While I have all of the commands found in the SH4 Manual it seems there are more commands that may be missing. I can't recall what I was looking for recently but I searched for some command (unsuccessfully) before "making do".

Lastly, is there a glossary of all the acronyms used by the experienced players? I figured out a couple but some posts are impossible (for me at least) to follow when the acronyms are being thrown left and right.

Thanks
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-18, 09:08 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Which acronyms do you want? There is a myriad (plethora - a ~LOT~) of them.

As for keyboard shorcuts, look in the root folder of the game, and you'll find "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" files, which are the old laminated cardboard inserts a person got with earlier versions of the game. Even with that, not all of the shortcuts are on it, such as moving the Sonar head with the <Home> and <End> keys, or a mouse wheel scroll. I cannot find the post, but someone a while back made a post with help from other SubSim members about some of the "missing" shortcuts...

"Cycle the tubes" just means to go through the tubes in-turn, such as you are on Tube 1, which if you then press the <W> key, you will "cycle" to Tube 2, which is then "selected", and you can do what you will with the torpedo depth or speed, or open the tube doors, etc. Press the <W> again, and you go to Tube 3, etc, until you get to the last Tube, and it will then "cycle" back to Tube 1. Some mods add cycling the rear tubes with the <E> key. The <Q> key opens and closes the selected tube doors.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-18, 04:28 PM   #3
Aoogahman
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Default That's a help

So it's not like cycling the vents to release trapped air in the ballast tanks after the dive. I was wondering along those lines but couldn't remember ever hearing an order to "Cycle the tubes." Not that it didn't happen, I just never heard it.

Come to think of it, it was the poppet valve's job, I think, to scavenge off the air following a torpedo shot so that the left-over impulse air wouldn't bubble to the surface and give the boat's position away. But then again I wasn't a TM and they might well have been cycling the tubes regularly and not telling anybody.

At any rate, thanks to this thread, I now know what the "W" key really does. And that's a help. One more piece of the puzzle.

Thanks
Aoogahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 07:04 AM   #4
l02turner
Soundman

Default re: Cycles tubes, acronyms, etc

Thanks for that info - very helpful. As far as the acronyms, the ones I wonder about most concern Mods (I think) such as TMO with RSRDC. But that's just me not spending the time to become familiar with these mod related things.

BTW, I have the original Reference card and also printed the Game Manual but there are still commands missing. For instance, when the destination to send the Agent to shore I recently couldn't get him to leave. I guess we fed him too well. He didn't choose to leave on his own and I searched for a very long time for a command that would move him from my boat to the destination. I even beached the bow on the beach hoping that would tempt him to volunteer to leave but he seems determined to stay. I eventually decided to leave the destination and start looking for some ships to sink.

Thanks for the help -
LarryT

Last edited by l02turner; 08-23-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 08:29 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

TMO = Trigger Maru Overhauled, an extension of the original Trigger Maru campaign.

RSRDC = Run Silent, Run Deep Campaign.

RFB = Real Fleet Boat.

FOTRS = Fall Of The Rising Sun.

Those are just off the top of my head. If you come across one you don't know, just post it here and it will get answered.
Old 08-23-18, 02:46 PM   #6
l02turner
Soundman

Default re: Cycle Tubes? Other Commands? Acronyms?

Ahoy Steve! Those are the ones I have wondered about. I know some of you have been here for a long time and probably participated in the design of the mods so the Acronyms are old hat. Thanks for the help!
LarryT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
TMO = Trigger Maru Overhauled, an extension of the original Trigger Maru campaign.

RSRDC = Run Silent, Run Deep Campaign.

RFB = Real Fleet Boat.

FOTRS = Fall Of The Rising Sun.

Those are just off the top of my head. If you come across one you don't know, just post it here and it will get answered.