SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-17, 07:15 PM   #16
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

My first Buick was a 1978 LeSabre. I loved that car.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 07:18 PM   #17
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Beautiful car.

Acktung, Wolferz, Armistead, and I can take it for a test ride.
Old 03-20-17, 08:30 PM   #18
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
My first Buick was a 1978 LeSabre. I loved that car.
My first was a 78 Regal 2 door 3.8 V6. Loved that car.
Old 03-20-17, 09:09 PM   #19
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

In wonderful condition. well done
Old 03-20-17, 09:46 PM   #20
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

What a gorgeous car!
Old 03-21-17, 02:04 AM   #21
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
Beautiful car.

Acktung, Wolferz, Armistead, and I can take it for a test ride.
U guys can ride up front; I'll be in the back seat with this chick

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-21-17 at 02:16 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 07:25 AM   #22
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Looks rather special Chris....very nice indeed my friend

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 07:37 AM   #23
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

What a find! Not the usual collector's car (of course who knows at the time of manufacture and for at least 10 years after what will be collectible) so it's amazing that it's been preserved so perfectly. It is better than most of its sisters were in 1961.

Hows the availability of non-alcohol fuel? And how does it tolerate unleaded fuel? Must be some nice stories about dealing with all that. In my area non-alcohol fuel doesn't command the hideous prices it did a year ago and is fairly available.

Great find and now we know at least one piece of history that will be properly preserved!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 07:43 AM   #24
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Well, I have a 54 and this is a 60. I need a 70's. Maybe it is a hoarding thing.
I think the Buick Rivieras up to 1963 are still good looking, but after that ...

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 08:27 AM   #25
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
What a find! Not the usual collector's car (of course who knows at the time of manufacture and for at least 10 years after what will be collectible) so it's amazing that it's been preserved so perfectly. It is better than most of its sisters were in 1961.

Hows the availability of non-alcohol fuel? And how does it tolerate unleaded fuel? Must be some nice stories about dealing with all that. In my area non-alcohol fuel doesn't command the hideous prices it did a year ago and is fairly available.

Great find and now we know at least one piece of history that will be properly preserved!
Right off the bat it's a 4 door. Everyone wants 2 doors. But, these are getting hard to find and are expensive when found. So the Buick sedan is not on the top of the list for collector cars. But, it gets the nod, thumbs up, horn honking and waving. It's a sled.

The car has had 3 owners and lived it's life in Altoona PA. A majority of it as a garage queen. The previous owners did not drive it much as all. From the looks of it just around Altoona that is no bigger than a postage stamp. This accounts for the low mileage. The brake pedal wear(of which there is none) is a sure indicator the 30,000 miles is legit.

There is no corn free gas were I live. I did a quick check under the hood(will tidy it up later) and it appears the rubber fuel line has been replaced with hose that can handle the corn gas. I will check the other rubber lines to the tank. I will rebuild the carb with a newer rubber produced kit. She needs the high octane for the 10:1 compression. I run the 1954 on low octane for the 8:1 compression. Both run fine on corn fuel but the 54 vapor locked once from the corn fuel. Knock on wood because some guys experience vapor lock all the time.

Concerning how she runs on corn, for a 2 ton car she squats and goes when the pedal is mashed. The 401 325 hp is a strong motor. The Dynaflow transmission(many call DynaSlow) is very responsive IMO.

She will remain as you see her with exception of replacing the parts that normally wear or deteriorate.

True survivor.
Old 03-21-17, 08:29 AM   #26
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I think the Buick Rivieras up to 1963 are still good looking, but after that ...
I like the Riveras but I'm always drawn to the odd ball or obscure vehicles.
Old 03-21-17, 12:21 PM   #27
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

A lot of gas stations up in Maine are starting to offer ethanol free gas as a safer alternative fuel for snowmobiles and other small engine vehicles.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 12:31 PM   #28
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
A lot of gas stations up in Maine are starting to offer ethanol free gas as a safer alternative fuel for snowmobiles and other small engine vehicles.
The ethanol free gas can be had on the eastern shore of MD. Farm equipment, etc. The ride to get it would burn 1/2 a tank each way! Plus a toll over the Bay Bridge.

Both cars run well on the corn fuel. Could they run better on ethanol free...absolutely.
Old 03-21-17, 02:09 PM   #29
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I'm betting your new Buick will be very popular at the next car show Chris, provided you take it there. I like the fact that it's as original as the day it rolled off the show room floor.

It always saddens me to go to car shows and see that someone has chopped the roof or tubbed a classic car. These people then think they have improved the looks of their car. I always thought these people had more dollars than sense.

The older or more mature crowd seem to restore or keep their car as close to original as when it was built. Just keep your eye on your car at the shows as jealous people like to intentionally damage them and careless people let their dogs jump up on cars or run strollers or wagons into these cars.

You also mentioned removing the hardened valve seats. I'm thinking the original owners did so to be able to run unleaded gas. Why remove them ? If you like oddball cars, I have pictures of one sitting in the garage which most will know what it is.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 02:25 PM   #30
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I'm betting your new Buick will be very popular at the next car show Chris, provided you take it there. I like the fact that it's as original as the day it rolled off the show room floor.

It always saddens me to go to car shows and see that someone has chopped the roof or tubbed a classic car. These people then think they have improved the looks of their car. I always thought these people had more dollars than sense.

The older or more mature crowd seem to restore or keep their car as close to original as when it was built. Just keep your eye on your car at the shows as jealous people like to intentionally damage them and careless people let their dogs jump up on cars or run strollers or wagons into these cars.

You also mentioned removing the hardened seats. I'm thinking the original owners did so to be able to run unleaded gas. Why remove them ? If you like oddball cars, I have pictures of one sitting in the garage which most will know what it is.
I have not experienced careless patrons at shows but once. It was a kid who liked banging on the cars. I'm very selective of what shows I attend.

The hardened seats are not necessary in Buick nailhead heads. There is enough nickel content the metal is hard enough to withstand unleaded gas. Also, most who cut the Buick heads for seats cut into the water jacket. Heads are ruined. In my case, the hardened seat cause a loud tap and I was blowing oil out the tail. I did not remove the seats. The seats destroyed the heads. Back then Chevy, Caddy, Olds and Buick did their own thing. Engines were different and not shared. Today, everyone rebuilds Buick like a Chevy. No good. Not sure if the previous owner who had the engine rebuilt approved the seats or not.

Video of burning blue:

Cracked open the heads and found this mess:

Replaced the rings and valve job while in frame. The clown who installed the seats and did the rebuild did a host things wrong. The rocker arm shafts were installed upside down. The rings...does not appear the cylinders were honed. Hardened seats.

2 months out of service and $3000.00 later....

Smoke and noise free:

Last edited by AVGWarhawk; 03-21-17 at 02:41 PM.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote