Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-10, 11:10 AM   #31
Denson
Seaman

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Holy Cow !
OK i'll stop whining.

Script editor look's good, maybe i should try to recruit some fellow scripters from Egosoft X3TC community.
Denson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:11 AM   #32
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
As a scripter and modder of the Oblivion rpg game, I can tell everyone here that custom scripts allow almost unlimited possibilities. I am not kidding. You would not believe what I and other modders have accomplished for that game.

Almost anything can be scripted to override or bypass a game's .exe functions depending on which script commands are included. I haven't yet had the opportunity to see SH5's in-game scripts or script commands, but the potential is astounding. This means that practically anything and everything in the game might be moddable in SH5. So people, please stop complaining. Be thankful that SH5 allows scripting!
Sounds like you got some work to do! Have fun!
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:23 AM   #33
OakGroove
中国水兵

Downloads: 10

Quote:
I say might because I haven't had the chance yet to see the tools. I don't yet know how limited the scripting commands are in SH5.

The idea that a company with more negotiating power over its customers will cut them a better deal is just bizarre.

Mad Science spawns Evil Fiend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTZTzsYoZs
OakGroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:26 AM   #34
Drifter
Frogman

Downloads: 75

I'm a bit confused, and excited now. If I am reading this right, it seems that there are a bunch of semi-scripted missions that branch out during a campaign game. If this is the case, hallelujah! Omg. This would allow very fine control and modding over campaign game play. By this, I mean that the ability to add scripts into campaign play might include the possibility of adding random factors into the campaign, and even adding a bunch of new game play features. I can now see why UBI went this route with semi-scripted campaign missions. Brilliant. Maybe they did it to possibly allow us modders to script in anything we wanted. If this is true, the potential is incredible.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:32 AM   #35
Kretschmer the IV
Navy Dude

Downloads: 72

yessss... imagine the possibilities...

after sinking a merchant... you see the survivors crying for help.. then you decide, send a SOS for those poor souls, and give them something to eat..

Grants extra poitns for renown but increase risk of detection
Kretschmer the IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:36 AM   #36
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
I'm a bit confused and excited now. If I am reading this right, it seems that there are a bunch of single scripted missions that branch out during a campaign game. If this is the case, hallelujah! Omg. This would allow very fine control and modding over campaign game play. By this, I mean that these scripted missions during campaign play might have the possibility of adding random factors into the campaign, and even adding a bunch of new game play features. I can now see why UBI went this route with scripted campaign missions. Brilliant. They did it to allow us modders to script in anything we wanted. If this is true, the potential is incredible.
I should point out that one should never get TOO excited about modding SH. SH3 and SH4 could've been VERY different if it weren't for a few hard-coded road blocks.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:36 AM   #37
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretschmer the IV View Post
yessss... imagine the possibilities...

after sinking a merchant... you see the survivors crying for help.. then you decide, send a SOS for those poor souls, and give them something to eat..

Grants extra poitns for renown but increase risk of detection
And the power of scripting could possibly do just what you said, depending on what scripting commands are available in the editor.
Old 03-01-10, 11:39 AM   #38
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
I should point out that one should never get TOO excited about modding SH. SH3 and SH4 could've been VERY different if it weren't for a few hard-coded road blocks.
I agree. I shouldn't get too excited.. yet. That was always a killer. Those darn hard-coded problems.

I am hoping for the possibility to change most game play features, or even create new ones, through scripting. But we don't really know yet. If we could just get someone to explore the script commands, we could find out soon enough.
Old 03-01-10, 11:41 AM   #39
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240

I wonder what kind of scripting can be done with crew members. It would be cool to script different behaviors and actions for battle stations or watch changes. Seeing the next watch come into the control room in their gear and troop up the ladder would be quite the thing.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 11:44 AM   #40
Drifter
Frogman

I am only making my best deductions from Urfisch's few screen shots, but it appears that many things which were hard-coded in SH3-Sh4 are now open to scripting. I think it is safe to say that SH5 will be much, much more moddable.
Old 03-01-10, 11:49 AM   #41
Drifter
Frogman

The screen shot below appears to allow the custom scripting of ship AI. Good news if true!

Old 03-01-10, 12:36 PM   #42
joejccva71
Watch

Downloads: 28

Drifter..then we need you to get the game ASAP and start working on your scripting magic because SH5 needs alot of help. I got the game last night and while I see it has potential, the immersion factor just isn't there at all anymore. The explosions are just flat out horrible and look too "arcadeish". On an enemy ship after I slammed 2 torps into it's side, as it's sinking I still see crewmen walking on the deck while it's underwater. Ugh.

Things like that.
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 12:51 PM   #43
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Also remember that Ubi will release patches. This game is not a done deal in any way.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 02:22 PM   #44
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29

Awesome. I've not got into the news, but this is an extremely powerful tool. It could be our long-wanted solution to things like the ever-present AI gripes.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 03:06 PM   #45
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
It seems that most here don't quite yet understand the huge potential through scripting. The most powerful tool there is for modding a game. Woohoo!
Most of us don't have the game yet! We know the power of scripting, but it depends on what can be scripted and what can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
The screen shot below appears to allow the custom scripting of ship AI. Good news if true!
We knew before release that the UI and AI would be scripted and able to be changed, it's the other things we don't know about - can you add in new equipment for example? How deep does the scripting go?