Closed Thread

Old 03-03-10, 08:26 AM   #1711
Yak
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by admobadmo View Post
I just checked, release day, and it's now at #142. So if it was in the top 50 ealier, it seems to be dropping fast.

edit: I just noticed, you're not even in the same country as I am! Doh! Anyway, it's at #142 in the US.

2nd edit: to put it in a little perspective, Halo 3 is at #83, 1115 days in the top 100. Maybe they should have made a version of Silent Hunter 5 for X-Box? That would be fun, wouldn't it? Guys? X-Box? With me on this one? Anyone?
Actually the silent hunter series could port very easily to console with minimal issues, and to be honest I'm truly surprised it hasn't happened already.

The actual controls you manipulate are minimal, and can you imagine playing it on a 50" plasma?
Fark yeah!

And to put the amazon ranking into comparison, SH2 which was a bug riddles piece of shyte, was number one for weeks, and in the top five for months.

Quote:
You don't have to agree with something to be a part of it.
Yeah, just like the nazi's...
Old 03-03-10, 08:37 AM   #1712
punisher2010
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Can't say that I agree. I recognize it's unfair against people who don't have a (stable) connection, and that I certainly don't agree with.

However, it does not affect me personally, so there's really no reason, apart from taking a stance against it, to not buy it.

You don't have to agree with something to be a part of it.

Yes, I'm playing SH5, but at the same time I'm taking every oppurtunity I have to tell Ubi I don't agree with OSP... apart from not buying a game, I'll give you that.

Seriously, there are more ways to reason with someone than withholding food. (which in this case doesn't even work, they've got money to spare. At best it will lead to cancelation of SH)
The problem with this method is that the ONLY way to make a difference is to speak with your wallet.....
By telling Ubi you don't like the DRM and buying it anyway, you are saying, "well, I don't like it, but I'll buy it/put up with it anyway" This will lead them to say, ok, it's not popular, but people buy it anyway.. Let's keep going...

Also, the "it doesn't affect me" thing is wrong in so many ways.... If you don't want to support the people who it does affect, that's fine, but this kind of attitude will eventually come back to bite you when, by the time it does affect you, there may not be anyone left to help you.....
Old 03-03-10, 08:58 AM   #1713
mikeydredd
Bosun

Downloads: 36
Default The real issue

I'm sorry but I have to take issue with Arclight and his assertion that "You don't have to agree with something to be a part of it."

That is the whole point - if you agree with something you inevitably ARE part of it. If you don't agree then you are not.

By buying into UBIsoft's control freak abomination you have become a supporter of it. You have paid good money to be part of it for god's sake!!!

In this country we have a phrase that aptly sums up the attitude that you, and many like you, have.

We call it the "jack attitude".

As in "I'm alright Jack".

Potentially I'm also "alright jack". There is no reason for me not to have this game on my hard drive even as we speak. But I never will while it has this level of control freakery attached to it.

That is and will always be my attitude.

Dredd out
Old 03-03-10, 09:25 AM   #1714
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher2010 View Post
The problem with this method is that the ONLY way to make a difference is to speak with your wallet.....
By telling Ubi you don't like the DRM and buying it anyway, you are saying, "well, I don't like it, but I'll buy it/put up with it anyway" This will lead them to say, ok, it's not popular, but people buy it anyway.. Let's keep going...

Also, the "it doesn't affect me" thing is wrong in so many ways.... If you don't want to support the people who it does affect, that's fine, but this kind of attitude will eventually come back to bite you when, by the time it does affect you, there may not be anyone left to help you.....
Fair enough, I'm sure it will.

But let's see how far they take it first. It may be patched out as sales decline, or at the final patch. Iirc someone from Ubi already stated as much, including that it will be patched out should they ever decide to take down the servers.

Yes, it affects me, but there is still hope it won't affect me in any significant negative way. At least it hasn't yet.

* And if by voicing my dissatisfaction of OSP I'm not supporting the people it does affect, I don't see how I can. Again, there's more than 1 way to get a point across.

Personally what I can't stand is limited installs. I've always refused to buy games that are crippled with it, single exception for DCS Blackshark. OSP seems peanuts compared to that, but that may be just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydredd View Post
That is the whole point - if you agree with something you inevitably ARE part of it. If you don't agree then you are not.
Point is I disagree with the principal of OSP, but I won't let a SH slip by.

Just because I buy SH5, doesn't mean I'm pro-OSP.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Old 03-03-10, 10:24 AM   #1715
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Quote:
But let's see how far they take it first. It may be patched out as sales decline, or at the final patch. Iirc someone from Ubi already stated as much, including that it will be patched out should they ever decide to take down the servers.
Actually, they never did actually say that despite being asked specifically about that. They gave a lame answer like (I'm paraphrasing here as I don't have time to search but feel free as the links are here on this site, maybe even in this thread) "Don't worry, we're you're friends". They never said "yes, we will issue a patch".
Old 03-03-10, 10:28 AM   #1716
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Just because I buy SH5, doesn't mean I'm pro-OSP.
No one is saying you are pro-OSP but as far as UBI is concerned you are, or at least don't care enough to show with your wallet that you are not and that's all they care about, making money. So inadvertently, you are supporting it through your actions, not your words. That's the point people are trying to get across to you here. You don't have to agree with it but that's how the bean counters look at it.
Old 03-03-10, 10:48 AM   #1717
michaelws
Seaman

Downloads: 6

Sadly I agree. I can understand the desire to play the new version...I don't think anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time feels differently...but, UBI has proven they ONLY listen to the sound of money.

So the wallet is what speaks.
Old 03-03-10, 11:20 AM   #1718
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
I personally understood and agree with your point.
Woopie! I'm not insane.
Old 03-03-10, 11:25 AM   #1719
Wulfmann
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 1

I intend on legally purchasing SH5 when I can buy it without DRM and without having to connect to the internet (My game PC is not online at all) and the bugs have been fixed.

So it looks doubtful if UBI will get more of my money with this release.

Was DRM supposed to keep loyal customers from buying this???
That does not make sense but that is the end result for many.

Hmmmmmm, pirates will hack this and play it anyway but many loyal paying customers will not.
Sounds like Al Gore logic and fuzzy math (Considering this is the coldest winter I have experienced in Florida it seems appropriate to make the comparison in lack of logic)

Wulfmann
Old 03-03-10, 11:41 AM   #1720
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42
SH5 DRM in AC2

Thought this might be interesting for all of us, as we had emotional discussions about that topic.

As to recent posts in different forums...the DRM version of Assassins Creed II (which is the same as in SH5) has been worked around with a simple, hand made server emulator. I read about this many posts and it seems to be 95% sure.

If this happened, UBIs new DRM was unlocked before the official release of the first game, which was fitted with the system.

Now i wonder, what the company will do. As we, the honest customers are forced to let them have permanent connection to our PC. And as many posts showed, many people feel unhappy about this. Now lets see, how ubi reacts.

Old 03-03-10, 11:45 AM   #1721
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

It was bound to happen. DRM is the least of my worries. The dumding down of controls and Interface worry me more. Hopefully these issues are rectifed by upadates or modding.
Old 03-03-10, 11:47 AM   #1722
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Urfisch, we have a thread for DRM, here it is, mate.

I'm sure there will be many stories and rumors about breaking this DRM. Many will be untrue, just created to make things ugly. If this does happen, we will all hear about it, I'm sure.

Also, a friendly warning, be careful about downloading stuff... could be very risky.
Old 03-03-10, 11:47 AM   #1723
Darkreaver1980
Loader

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post

As to recent posts in different forums...the DRM version of Assassins Creed II (which is the same as in SH5) has been worked around with a simple, hand made server emulator. I read about this many posts and it seems to be 95% sure.
lol

"simple, hand made server emulator"

yeah right, you cant save your game at all and you need 2 computers + you have alot of problems. Very simple!

This copy protection is virtualy not bypassable

Im glad that i buyed SH 5, its fun to watch all the crybabys because they cant just download & play it like most games
Old 03-03-10, 11:50 AM   #1724
gamingdave
Swabbie

Downloads: 46

The server workaround will work, it will get better in the following days. The save file will be more of a challenge, but I expect it will be solved very soon.

Ubi have said themselves that they could release a patch to remove it if for any reason they needed too (possible scenario is they want to switch all the servers off). To think someone else wont figure out and release this patch is simply IMO daft.

Looking forward to buying it tonight though and playing it on the 106" projector its what my new gaming PC has been waiting for!
Old 03-03-10, 11:59 AM   #1725
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 609_Avatar View Post
No one is saying you are pro-OSP but as far as UBI is concerned you are, or at least don't care enough to show with your wallet that you are not and that's all they care about, making money. So inadvertently, you are supporting it through your actions, not your words. That's the point people are trying to get across to you here. You don't have to agree with it but that's how the bean counters look at it.
Yeah, matter of perspective... I get it.

Point I was trying to make is that 'accepting' and 'agreeing' are different things. I accept the thing being there, but I don't agree with the principal behind it. I accept it because it doesn't pose a problem to me (for the time being), but at the same time imo it should be removed.

Anyway, if anyone wants to make a stance that's fine, but don't go lashing out against people who think differently. Stating that people buying the game are 'unsupportive' or such nonsense is pretty close to a personal attack as far as I'm concerned.

Noone is going to convince anyone else, so I'll drop this here. Carry on.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Closed Thread