0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-10, 12:39 PM   #1681
michaelws
Seaman

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

I read more posts on this thread than any other, ever...I was assuming OSP was more specific than just referring to a system requiring online connections. Thanks. And thanks for not making me out to be more of an idiot than I am.

I have also posted to this thread a few times...in support of NOT buying version V.

I have all previous versions...starting from the first...and have enjoyed them all. This development is a big disappointment...but in reading the limited scenario offered within the game itself I am not sure the scope would be as immersible as the earlier ones...unless it can be modded to broaden the scope.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-02-10, 12:56 PM   #1682
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelws View Post
IAnd thanks for not making me out to be more of an idiot than I am.
Brother, you're not alone. I hate to think of all the times I've shaken my head at 'idiots' doing something I think is stupid, and the next day, guess what? MY TURN!

Where I live people always say "Utah drivers are the worst in the world!" I always reply "Don't forget - you are one."

My personal best: "Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. And I'm proud of the job I've done."
Old 03-02-10, 01:21 PM   #1683
michaelws
Seaman

Downloads: 6

Thanks...had a good laugh on that one.
Old 03-02-10, 03:56 PM   #1684
Fantasm
Watch

Downloads: 41
Default DRM a waste of effort.... cracked

Well, I just read the instructions for installing one of the cracked versions of Assassins Creed 2 that are already out. Essentially, it allows a Ubisoft account, then they simply do a redirect to a different server.
The only thing it doesn't allow is a saved game but they expect to have that solved soon... It also looks like it would be the same or similar to bypass the DRM for SH5.
I am not going to post the hows's and why's but it definately looks like they've bypassed DRM already. No, I didn't d/l to test it.... but those who know where to look will have no problem finding a Pirate with it.
Old 03-02-10, 04:00 PM   #1685
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
My cat's name is mittens!

Old 03-02-10, 04:18 PM   #1686
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
Well, I just read the instructions for installing one of the cracked versions of Assassins Creed 2 that are already out. Essentially, it allows a Ubisoft account, then they simply do a redirect to a different server.
The only thing it doesn't allow is a saved game but they expect to have that solved soon... It also looks like it would be the same or similar to bypass the DRM for SH5.
I am not going to post the hows's and why's but it definately looks like they've bypassed DRM already. No, I didn't d/l to test it.... but those who know where to look will have no problem finding a Pirate with it.
As much as i cringe to say it, i hope the pirates pull it off. Maybe then Ubi will wake up from this fantasy their having, and stop wasting everyones bandwidth.
Old 03-02-10, 04:21 PM   #1687
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
My cat's name is mittens!
IanC, classic....
Old 03-02-10, 04:46 PM   #1688
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
*Snip*
While you may have lost a few people here (shame on them), I personally understood and agree with your point. It's funny how the law abiding PC gamer is ultimately blamed for intrusive DRM, when in actuality, we are the ones propping up their damned companies! Without us, they would be out of business. That being said, I can understand the desire to protect their software, but no amount of protection will ever stop piracy. There are always ways and means round the systems used, and they will be found, no matter how hard you attempt to stop them, no matter how secure you attempt to make your product.

It is unfortunate, but the only people punished for piracy, are those whom legally purchase the game. Surely this is illogical? Surely the assumption that all gamers are pirates is also illogical, but this appears to be the premise many companies are now working with. Not only is it wrong, it's also damned insulting. I have purchased each and every single game I own, the cost of which must run into thousands, yet I am to blame for intrusive protection policies? How do they come to that conclusion? Yet this is exactly what Ubisoft appear to be doing.

None of us can be trusted to legally purchase their game, and as such, we must prove time and time again that we are operating a legal copy. Well, sorry Ubisoft, but I'm not showing you my receipt each and every time I wish to play a game, not happening. To add insult to injury, the game is a full £10 more than I paid for SH4 brand new! So not only do we get lumped with their DRM, we have to pay for it as well! Incredible!
Old 03-02-10, 04:55 PM   #1689
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
To add insult to injury, the game is a full £10 more than I paid for SH4 brand new! So not only do we get lumped with their DRM, we have to pay for it as well! Incredible!
And you're getting less and less for your money:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162878
Old 03-02-10, 04:57 PM   #1690
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
And you're getting less and less for your money:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162878
Yes, I saw that, damned cheek. The price is bad enough, but to leave out the paper manual, bloody cheap buggers!
Old 03-02-10, 05:18 PM   #1691
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Yes, I saw that, damned cheek. The price is bad enough, but to leave out the paper manual, bloody cheap buggers!
Oh that's coming in the mail

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online  
Old 03-02-10, 06:01 PM   #1692
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

Quote:

But they spent that money on new servers.
Old 03-02-10, 07:56 PM   #1693
lhodaniel
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default No to SH5

I have every SH version made to date and would be ordering SH5 today if not for this ridiculous online DRM crap. Ubi, you have lost a loyal customer. Since Ubi punishes legitimate customers over the pirates, I frankly hope that the DRM is cracked and that NOBODY buys the thing. If you want to ban me for saying that, go for it. One less bookmark in the browser...
Old 03-02-10, 10:00 PM   #1694
mikeydredd
Bosun

Downloads: 36
Default Still not buying it

I'm still sticking to my guns and not BUYING this game.

I'm afraid I do agree with Ducimus on this. It looks like it is only a matter of time before this is cracked and available with no intrusive DRM. No surprises there!

Where does this leave legitimate customers who do not have the required internet connection to play?

And who will not be part of this propagandised big brother data mining bull**** that is passed off as some sort of massive step forward in the ongoing war against the pirates?

Recently I spoke to a mate who knows nothing of computers, gaming and all this stuff. I fully explained to him everything about the latest from UBIsoft and its new DRM etc etc.

His comment to me was,

"Surely that will lead to more piracy"!!!!!!!

True storey.

If he can see that are you honestly suggesting the honchos at UBI can't?

They deserve everything they get. or in my case don't.

Have a nice day.

Dredd out
Old 03-02-10, 10:24 PM   #1695
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Downloads: 0
Default ...

Now actually when talking about the connection of piracy and DRM, the question that comes to my mind is:

WHY is no one actually looking into the cause of piracy and fixing the root of the problem, but doctoring away at some symptom? It is probably not to hard to guess that solving a symptom will only lead to a new symptom -- until the root cause is resolved.

Now why, if pirating is possible (and reminds me of the aircraft anti-aircraft arms race -- one year the plane wins, another year the AAM), why is it actually a problem? Because according to many companies [needs reliable citation here], way too many people make use of it and, thus, companies loose a huge volume of sales [needs another reliable citation here].

Now shouldn't the question then be: Why are so many customers dishonest and don't want to pay for products? And how can the purchase moral be recovered?

Let me formulate a hypothesis: One answer to the latter question could be: By providing customer-oriented high-value products and extended support to include their wishes and suggestions beyond the purchase date. By making the customer feel valued and showing him that "being honest" is rewarded by and added-value to his product. (OSP DRM doesn't sound like this, does it? But patching & adding things according to customer wishes would be...)

I don't care if SHV is hacked or not. If I would want it, I would buy it to get the manual and everything with it (a nice, thick manual with a history section, a nice Kriegsmarine Seekarte etc. would be awesome "added-value" to this product for me -- like in good old DOS game times!). But I hope to see a clear dent in overall PC game sales in their quarterly report. Because stock prices are even less forgiving than customers refraining from buying the game... It is time for a trend inversion with DRM, and for companies to turn back to listening to customers -- and that not only with a half-deaf ear...
Closed Thread