SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-10, 09:50 AM   #1
Drifter
Frogman

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Enormous potential- SH5 allows scripting!

There. Got your attention?

I just thought I would like to bring everyone's attention the fact that Urfisch has posted something very important about SH5 modding tools here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162702

From what I am seeing so far, it appears that almost anything in-game can be scripted or changed through the tools. If this is true, the potential is beyond incredible. As a scripter and modder of the Oblivion rpg game, I can tell everyone here that custom scripts allow almost unlimited possibilities. I am not kidding. You would not believe what I and other modders have accomplished for that game.

Almost anything can be scripted to override or bypass a game's .exe functions depending on which script commands are included. I haven't yet had the opportunity to see SH5's in-game scripts or script commands, but the potential is astounding. This means that practically anything and everything in the game might be moddable in SH5. So people, please stop complaining. Be thankful that SH5 allows scripting!

Last edited by Drifter; 03-01-10 at 10:17 AM.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 09:54 AM   #2
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

I don't know anything about modding, but the way you make it sound, that does seem very interesting.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:02 AM   #3
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
I don't know anything about modding, but the way you make it sound, that does seem very interesting.
I do have to admit, I got goosebumps when I saw Urfisch's thread. The power of scripting makes almost anything possible, depending on which script commands are included in the game. The possibilities could make modding SH3 look like a joke in comparison. I am talking about the possibility to be able to script almost any game play feature. The meat of the game is game play in my opinion.

One scripting and modding possibility might include:

-ability to abandon the U-boat into life rafts, floating around for days, waiting to be either rescued or die from thirst.

I say might because I haven't had the chance yet to see the tools. I don't yet know how limited the scripting commands are in SH5.
Old 03-01-10, 10:06 AM   #4
Gunnodayak
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You know, the word "whining" from the tilte of your thred hurts my feelings, I am very sensitive. I also try to be "politically correct". It would be very nice if you should try that, as well. It's not the first time that the ones who are not satisfied by the latest UBI product are called "whiners".
Old 03-01-10, 10:07 AM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

This should be interesting, the extra modding tools. It's way to early to get to bent out of shape regarding V, give it time and let's see what happens

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:08 AM   #6
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnodayak View Post
You know, the word "whining" from the tilte of your thred hurts my feelings, I am very sensitive. I also try to be "politically correct". It would be very nice if you should try that, as well. It's not the first time that the ones who are not satisfied by the latest UBI product are called "whiners".
I meant 'complaining' when there is so much potential through scripting.
Old 03-01-10, 10:09 AM   #7
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 2

As someone who plays heavily modded immersion-based Oblivion, I'm estatic to hear something that that could be possible with SH5.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:13 AM   #8
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
As someone who plays heavily modded immersion-based Oblivion, I'm estatic to hear something that that could be possible with SH5.
No Psychic Guards and Attack and Hide mods were mine, though no scripting was involved in those two. Among other mods, I also made the Locked Doors and Knocking mod, which did include my own custom scripts.

It seems that most here don't quite yet understand the huge potential through scripting. The most powerful tool there is for modding a game. Woohoo!
Old 03-01-10, 10:19 AM   #9
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
No Psychic Guards and Attack and Hide mods were mine, though no scripting was involved in those two. Among other mods, I also made the Locked Doors and Knocking mod, which did include my own custom scripts.

It seems that most here don't quite yet understand the huge potential through scripting. The most powerful tool there is for modding a game. Woohoo!

Yeap! Welcome aboard! There's a lot of new potential here. I was hoping it'd attract talent from other genres.

For those who are unfamiliar with Oblivion mods, there's a group of modders that specialize in realism and immersion mods. Wonderful stuff. Totally remade the game. If you have a good foundation, amazing things are possible.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:21 AM   #10
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Even I as a non-modder realize what a powerful tool scripts can be. This is exciting news. In theory modders could take SH5 much farther than SH3.

Gunnodayak is correct, "whining" and "fanboyism" are no longer acceptable terms on this forum, the correct p.c. terms are now "enthusiasm-challenged" and "criticism-challenged"...
Old 03-01-10, 10:23 AM   #11
capthelm
Captain

Downloads: 32

script particle effects inside the uboat mmm

"One torpedo ... one ship"
my SH5 lighting mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkM5k8SXpWo
my SH5 audio mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIN5RHeL8B8
capthelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:27 AM   #12
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

I've poked about in the menu editor, the goblin editor & the map editor.. but i cannot figure out where this script editor is.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:28 AM   #13
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Quote:
I was not aware of these mods. Methinks I must have another look at the Oblivion modding scene, because while I love Oblivion, I was pretty displeased that it wasn't more immersing (I missed things like having to sleep, having to eat, your clothes getting wet, etc.).

Either way, this is awesome news!
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:28 AM   #14
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

I have a vision of the future. Finding SHV in the bargain bin, OSP is removed, super mods available...
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:28 AM   #15
Drifter
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
I've poked about in the menu editor, the goblin editor & the map editor.. but i cannot figure out where this script editor is.
I wish I could help you, but I don't even have the game yet. Sorry.