SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-14, 02:25 PM   #1
artao
Officer

Downloads: 144
Uploads: 0
Default HELP! RA/DWX SOSUS Use?

In the mission I'm building, I put down a SOSUS array. In DWX the SOSUS sensors are under Civilian > Surveillance .. the specific sensor appears to be "FFQ-10 Sosus Array". In the mission editor I turned on sensor range to see how far apart to put them, and how far away they can detect. The circle thus created is about 30nm radius.

To test the SOSUS array, I put in a global event goal with doctrine "Detect Side, player, by side 2" (all sosus sensors are side 2 to make it easy to hide them all to reduce clutter. side 2 is allied with side 1. side 0 is the player) and to then send a report "SOSUS Detection" so I could see exactly when the player can be detected. I set the goal to be retriggerable every 5 minutes, and to have to hold detection for 1 minute to activate.

Here's the problem: I started the player sub a good 80nm away from the SOSUS sensors, and when I got into the mission set the sub (Sturgeon Class) to flank speed (25knts) at 1200 feet deep.
The SOSUS sensors started picking me up around 60 nm!!!
So I started reducing speed to see how slow one would need to go to NOT be detected.
The short of it is this: the SOSUS sensors STILL picked up the sub at a speed of 1 knot, above the layer, from a good 50+ nm away!!
Am I using these wrong, or are they simply functioning improperly?

EDIT: perhaps I should add that this is the first DW mission I've created. I fiddled with mission creation in SC as well, but not a lot.

Last edited by artao; 11-18-14 at 03:27 PM.
artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 03:28 PM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Well is that a very modern SOSUS array or one from the same period as the Sturgeon? If it's modeling a modern SOSUS, a Sturgeon is going to be downright noisy. SOSUS is very sensitive.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 03:37 PM   #3
artao
Officer

I have no idea. It's the only such sensor available to me tho. And I know the Soviets put down a SOSUS array in the Sea of Okhotsk during the time period I'm modeling.
Perhaps I'll have to forego the SOSUS network
I'm building a mission based on Operation Ivy Bells, late 70's/early 80's

EDIT: I can (so far) find no info on the FNQ-10 SOSUS sensor .. neither online nor in the RA/DWX documentation.

Old 11-18-14, 06:02 PM   #4
artao
Officer

I've managed to figure out a workaround using doctrine language and an additional global event goal .. I think.
So I set the "SOSUS Detection" goal to ALSO check range to any of the SOSUS sensors to be less than 15nm. That fixed the ridicu-long-range detection. This even goal can refire every 5 minutes, and must hold contact for 5 minutes before firing.
Then I made a second global event goal, "SOSUS Dectect Number" to test if "SOSUS Detection" had fired more than 3 times, and if no more than 10 minutes had passed since last firing of "SOSUS Detection" .. then set "SOSUS Detect Number" to be able to refire every 11 minutes.
Without that last part, checking the time since last firing, it worked rather well. So far so good.
I put the time check in because I (think I) want there to be a "time since last contact" requirement before the final trigger firing -- which will spawn an ASW search.

I'm not sure how well this last part will work tho -- if at all -- nor am I sure how to efficiently test that behavior.
Ideas? Does it sound like I'm going about this right?

Old 03-25-15, 02:08 PM   #5
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Hi artao,

I know it's long since you posted this, but maybe I can still help.

I'm back to DW after some time out... fortunately, live is given me enough free time for this...

I'm not an editor expert, but made my stuff once...

Anyway, have you considered forgetting the SOSUS provided by the mod and fake it? I was thinking on creating an area trigger or several the size you want where you can specify the distance, speed and even depth. I know this makes things less dynamic depending on water conditions but gives you more control over it. So if the sub is at more than X depth and faster than Y speed, then the detection trigger launches. You can create several triggers for different speeds and depths and put them all into an aggregate trigger.

If you already finished the mission, I hope this give you ideas for future ones.

By the way, are you making this missions public? Or are just for personal use?

Regards,

FERdeBOER

Edit: you have really good ideas and know how to put them into practise.
Old 11-02-16, 12:49 AM   #6
artao
Officer

Hey! I like that. I think I'll try it.
I only recently re-installed DW again, on my newer betterer computer. Then just re-re-re-re-read Hunt for Red October, and am working on Red Storm Rising again, so feeing cold war sub-simmy. Haven't played any subsims in quite some time.
Got me to thinking about this mission, and how to finish it.
Thanks for your idea! Hope I can get it to work.

And yes, this mission will be made public. I'll actually be looking for a couple beta-testers once I get it that far. IIRC I've got most of the stuff in place, I just need to set up triggers and such for actions and spawning. I thought I'd lost the file in the transfer to new computer, but found my working folder in some backups. \o/ WOO HOO