SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-17, 11:48 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Ever solve this bug?

The Betty crash bug. Betty's drop bombs then crash most of time right after. Fail to pull out of dive I am guessing
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 07:30 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Someone a few years ago, and ~if~ I'm remembering correctly, stated that the game "defines" the Betty as a Torpedo Bomber, and that's the issue. Being the "expert" that I am at modding, I have no clue about that. However, a couple of the mods back they took the bombs out of the Betty's equipment, and only let them carry torpedoes (or a fake one to get it to strafe)... dunno if that helps ya. Maybe it'd benefit from a cloning, renaming and re-fitting to a dive-bomber's designation (copying settings from another dive-bomber that works "correctly"), in addition to its torpedo bomber status?... I'd sure hate to put you on a wild goose chase down a rabbit hole that might be ~very~ deep, but I'm curious too... definitely beyond my current skill levels to do such yet though.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-18-17 at 08:16 AM. Reason: where'd you go to skule man?
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 06:24 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Someone a few years ago, and ~if~ I'm remembering correctly, stated that the game "defines" the Betty as a Torpedo Bomber, and that's the issue. Being the "expert" that I am at modding, I have no clue about that. However, a couple of the mods back then took the bombs out of the Betty's equipment, and only let them carry torpedoes (or a fake one to get it to strafe)... dunno if that helps ya. Maybe it'd benefit from a cloning, renaming and re-fitting to a dive-bomber's designation (copying settings from another dive-bomber that works "correctly"), in addition to its torpedo bomber status?... I'd sure hate to put you on a wild goose chase down a rabbit hole that might be ~very~ deep, but I'm curious too... definitely beyond my current skill levels to do such yet though.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-17, 07:52 AM   #4
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Don't confuse the Betty crashing after a bombing run with some kind of error in its flight path. The stock game Betty is a bit less protected than the other planes (they didn't call it the "Lit Cigar" for nothing!), it will crash more easily than other planes due to having this factored in. It has less armor, less damage hit point requirements than other planes....and rightfully so. Just a few hits from AA fire and it's going down.

As far has the planes "loadout", it can carry about anything you want. The trick is to have a specific plane setup to carry that specific payload.

The planes "ClassType" defines what kind of function you expect it to do....Torpedo bomber, Dive bomber, Straight Line conventional bomber etc. You then define its "loadout" with the proper placement of the position of the bomb(s) in its .dat file, then make sure their listed in the planes .cfg files. I've found if you want a plane to do a specific type of run, you need to make it specific only for that type of technique. Having a Torpedo in the planes loadout along with two 500 lbs bombs only makes the game scratch its head in wondering which load should I use?

I just finished reworking the stock game Kate bomber to make it exclusively carry, and follow, a Torpedo bomb run. The stock game has it carrying a couple of 250 lbs bombs and a torpedo on occasion. The trouble is, the plane will usually carry the 250's before it carry's the torpedo. We seldom see a torpedo run in-game from the Japanese side due to this. Fotrs Ultimate now has a Kate that skims the water as it approach's and deliveries a death hit from a torpedo to a sub if you let it!!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 05-18-17 at 08:08 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 08:15 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I kinda thought the kamikaze was rather devastating the day I got hit by it...

Although that is technically an MXY-7 Ohka jet, human guided bomb...

Is that our mod version I'm "remembering" up above there CapnScurvy?... mind like a steel trap... - that's never been set

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 07:41 AM   #6
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
The Betty crash bug. Betty's drop bombs then crash most of time right after. Fail to pull out of dive I am guessing
If you mean the wild, low altitude spinning out of control Betty after it drops its bombs, I do think that is fixed somehow. I have not seen it since starting on the FOTARS Ultimate series.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 08:28 AM   #7
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I kinda thought the kamikaze was rather devastating the day I got hit by it...

Although that is technically an MXY-7 Ohka jet, human guided bomb...

Is that our mod version I'm "remembering" up above there CapnScurvy?... mind like a steel trap... - that's never been set
Yes, both of those Betty's in the images above (the Torpedo Bomber and the Kamikaze carrier) are found in Fotrs Ultimate. So is the Kamikaze Zero in Ultimate:

Beware of the yellow engine cowl !!
You'll see them after a 1945 start date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedobait
If you mean the wild, low altitude spinning out of control Betty after it drops its bombs, I do think that is fixed somehow. I have not seen it since starting on the FOTARS Ultimate series.
Again, only a couple of hits from AA fire will cause the Betty to go down.

The stock game had it on one of its Carriers?!? No way!

It's a land based plane, so you'll only see it within a land airbase's reach. The Kamikaze Zero is a Carrier based plane, you can see it almost anytime within an airbase's (Carrier, or land base) area of control.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 05-19-17, 02:42 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Don't confuse the Betty crashing after a bombing run with some kind of error in its flight path. The stock game Betty is a bit less protected than the other planes (they didn't call it the "Lit Cigar" for nothing!), it will crash more easily than other planes due to having this factored in. It has less armor, less damage hit point requirements than other planes....and rightfully so. Just a few hits from AA fire and it's going down.

As far has the planes "loadout", it can carry about anything you want. The trick is to have a specific plane setup to carry that specific payload.

The planes "ClassType" defines what kind of function you expect it to do....Torpedo bomber, Dive bomber, Straight Line conventional bomber etc. You then define its "loadout" with the proper placement of the position of the bomb(s) in its .dat file, then make sure their listed in the planes .cfg files. I've found if you want a plane to do a specific type of run, you need to make it specific only for that type of technique. Having a Torpedo in the planes loadout along with two 500 lbs bombs only makes the game scratch its head in wondering which load should I use?

I just finished reworking the stock game Kate bomber to make it exclusively carry, and follow, a Torpedo bomb run. The stock game has it carrying a couple of 250 lbs bombs and a torpedo on occasion. The trouble is, the plane will usually carry the 250's before it carry's the torpedo. We seldom see a torpedo run in-game from the Japanese side due to this. Fotrs Ultimate now has a Kate that skims the water as it approach's and deliveries a death hit from a torpedo to a sub if you let it!!

I'm talking about the Betty's that dive, drop bombs , then either fail to pull out or end up doing some wild cartwheel thing. Guessing they are too vulnerable and take damage from the bomb blast? Once in a while but it seems to happen a lot. Saw it happen twice in a patrol. I usually dive on plane contacts , the pop back up when clear and repeat as needed(if playing from 43 on and of course depends on area etc) bu was chasing a convoy and he was far enough out, so turned my stern to give low profile, it worked, or seemed to. Then came back roaring in, ordered a crash dive. I had external camera off BUT as we passed 100 feet, heard bomb explosions followed by the delayed sound of the plane hitting the water, and a marker appeared on map. Surfaced, dove, attacked, depth charged, got clear around dusk.Surfaced for end around and night surface attack. Another Betty from Hainan Island area zoomed in. SD only picked up at 5.5 miles some reason, ordered crashed dive as we passed 80 feet, bombs shook the sub, then plane crashed again. Definitely a bug. I recall someone fixed it, forget how or if there is a mod etc.

Thinking refdefining the Betty bomber as a patrol plane would help? However, it'd cause some conflicts in RSRD
Old 05-20-17, 06:44 AM   #9
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980
I'm talking about the Betty's that dive, drop bombs , then either fail to pull out or end up doing some wild cartwheel thing. Guessing they are too vulnerable and take damage from the bomb blast? Once in a while but it seems to happen a lot. Saw it happen twice in a patrol. I usually dive on plane contacts , the pop back up when clear and repeat as needed(if playing from 43 on and of course depends on area etc) bu was chasing a convoy and he was far enough out, so turned my stern to give low profile, it worked, or seemed to. Then came back roaring in, ordered a crash dive. I had external camera off BUT as we passed 100 feet, heard bomb explosions followed by the delayed sound of the plane hitting the water, and a marker appeared on map. Surfaced, dove, attacked, depth charged, got clear around dusk.Surfaced for end around and night surface attack. Another Betty from Hainan Island area zoomed in. SD only picked up at 5.5 miles some reason, ordered crashed dive as we passed 80 feet, bombs shook the sub, then plane crashed again. Definitely a bug. I recall someone fixed it, forget how or if there is a mod etc.

Thinking refdefining the Betty bomber as a patrol plane would help? However, it'd cause some conflicts in RSRD
So you're playing RSRDC? Watch its Avenger plane in the Museum for more than a couple of minutes. It takes a while, but it will nose up, then crash straight down.

Quote: