SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-08, 05:16 AM   #16
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

Fear the paid patch.

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 09:00 AM   #17
wetwarev7
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

It's 10 bucks.

It had addon content.

I feel I got my money's worth.

If it were anyone besides Ubisoft, I wouldn't have bought it(like the SH3 'expansion' which was a bunch of free mods stuck together).
Old 03-26-08, 09:58 AM   #18
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Who dug this up? BTW, best $10.00 I spent in a while. I see years of enjoyment for $10.00.
Old 04-13-08, 02:26 PM   #19
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Who dug this up? BTW, best $10.00 I spent in a while. I see years of enjoyment for $10.00.
the add-on is indeed a very good bargain at $10 and well worth it, the "patch" however is only available if you buy this add-on.
until the patch is available as a free stand alone then it is in fact a "patch with added content" that you must pay for.

my take is that ubisoft is now saying that it wont fix any more flaws in a game you already paid for, unless you will pay us more money, oh and by the way,
just to get you used to paying extra for something you already bought we will give you added content so you feel better and now that you are used to paying extra we can do this will all our games from now on.

no more free patches for games, suckers! ha ha ha!

i heard opinions saying the patch will be available as a stand alone soon, well it has been out for a while and it doesnt look like that will ever happen. as for it not working without the add-on, game fixes are not dependant on additional content so this is not the problem. the problem is that people are way too happy to shell out another $10 to buy a patch that should be free only because you get additional content that goes with it. if they want more revenue then thats great, more power to them but release the patch as a "free" standalone to fix the game that never worked right from day one. im not anti-add-on but i am against the "you cant have the patch without buying the add-on" attitude from ubisoft.

EDIT: ubisoft also knows that soon most mods will be made to work for the 1.5 patch and many mods wont be usable untill you buy the 1.5 patch with the added content, this makes "buying" the patch with added content even more necessary.

Last edited by Webster; 04-13-08 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-13-08, 04:42 PM   #20
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Misnomer using the word patch -1.5 is NOT a patch/mod

I work in a business where part of what I do is deal with software. We have various VERSIONS of software - but just because one is a later version - does NOT mean its a "patch" applied to something earlier. 1.5 is a seperate VERSION of software. There is no 1.5 patch because what is BUILT into the engine of 1.5 is not compatible without the elements of the UBM. Yes - the core is still there - but the core has been changed to deal with new elements and variables.

This idea that there should be a 1.5 "patch" is based purely off version numbers. Everyone has assumed that because 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 were true patches - that is they rewrote hardcoded data to fix issues, 1.5 must be the same. That assumption is false. 1.5 is rewritten to have the engine do NEW things - and thus in reality what 1.5 really is - is SH4 V2.0 - an incremental true VERSION. The fact is that 1.4 and below did not have the additional handles needed to have "the flip side" playable.

What I hear is people want things like the faster load time, engine enhancements, etc - without the added in flip side - for free. I understand that. But those enhancements were not developed for SH4 v1.x - so if you want it - go to the next level. If you don't. then sit down with 1.4 that you have had for QUITE a while and have enjoyed and hush. SH4 had a total of 4 patches. By 1.4 they had ironed out a HUGE number of bugs, plus gave us all a slew of enhancements. 4 patches for a product of this scope vs its sales numbers is actually danged good. The enhancements were created to enable new content - not for the "old" version. Could they be applied retroactively? Probably. But the fact is that the devs with 1.4 had a stable, well working and playing program as the consumer expected. Product cycle finished. Yes, I know all about Ubi making the big bucks while we languish with only an occasional sim. I am not UBI-hugging here - the fact is the industry has a product cycle designed in - and unless the game is a huge seller, continued patches don't go past what is designed in. Regardless of developer/publisher.

So this idea that 1.5 is some patch/mod hybrid is a fallacy. Its a reworked game engine to accomplish new things in addition to the old. That constitutes a new VERSION - and any developer/publisher has a right to charge for a new version of the software, without new content or with it. Not so with a simple PATCH that fixes bugs.

Also - what "Bugs" were fixed in 1.5 that were present in 1.4 that were so glaring that there was a requirement for a "patch" in the first place? Seems that 1.4 has been for a long time what many of us wanted in a PTO subsim - a very stable and enjoyable product - just what we paid for.

As for mods going 1.5 compatible - is it UBI's fault that people want to use the latest and greatest? The fact is the 1.4 version of mods out there make for great gameplay as is. Lets drop the anti-corporate rants huh?

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 04:55 PM   #21
rcjonessnp175
Weps

Downloads: 82

Im not happy at all with 1.5, paid ten bucks for something that doesnt work, look at the ubi forums and ull see alot of problems with vista and 8800gtx cards and the infamous nvdlllm drive error, 1.4 runs flawless for me and i really wanted the 1.5 to work but im done and totally frustrated, im sticking with 1.4 and figure out how to get 1.5 mods to work with 1.4 .

the world evolves around money and its sick.

Jonesy

The mother ship,Coolermaster HAF, I7 intel overclock 4ghz, , 6gb mem, 5870 crossfire, soundblaster Xfi titanium , Oh and 52 inch samsung 750 120hz. 7.1 onkyo 1200 wattss system
rcjonessnp175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 06:34 PM   #22
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo
I work in a business where part of what I do is deal with software. We have various VERSIONS of software - but just because one is a later version - does NOT mean its a "patch" applied to something earlier. 1.5 is a seperate VERSION of software. There is no 1.5 patch because what is BUILT into the engine of 1.5 is not compatible without the elements of the UBM. Yes - the core is still there - but the core has been changed to deal with new elements and variables.

Lets drop the anti-corporate rants huh?
well from the very begining ubisoft had advertised it on their website as an add-on with "patch 1.5" already built in, so this was started by them in the first place.

ubisoft has since removed any mention of the word patch or v1.5 from the u-boat expansion pack description, which i have no doubt is a direct result of the complaints about not having a free download version for patch v1.5.

as it is advertised today, it is only promoted as an expansion pack for sh4 with game enhancements so no mention is made anymore about the "patch".

had ubisoft never declared the existance of a patch 1.5 then no one would be looking for it. they run a buisness and it is not good for buisness to give something away for free if people want to pay for it so maybe they decided to not make patch 1.5 available so that the u-boat expansion would sell better.
then again maybe the patch1.5 caused just as many problems as it fixed if it were used without the add-on, so it cant be seperated from it.

Last edited by Webster; 04-13-08 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-13-08, 08:23 PM   #23
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
First off, my original post was a bit spur of the moment, so if it was a bit strong I regret it. With that said - UBI screwed up by calling it 1.5 - had they simply said "expansion" or SH4 V2.0 then the issue would be moot. I dunno about what they claimed regarding it being a "patch" - if thats what they called it then its their own fault - but lets face it - those sales and marketting folks screw stuff up all the time. Doesn't excuse em for it though.

The biggest thing you hit on is that 1.5 has alot of bugs. Your right - it does. In many ways 1.5 is less reliable than 1.4 - for example - the CO2 bug. Thankfully I am sure that there will be a further "patch" to UBM. One is almost always budgeted in. The question then will be is it only for UBM users, or will they make a seperate "stripped" version for the original SH4. My money is on 1.4 being the final patch for SH4 in its original incarnation, and any future patch will be for UBM only.

Is it fair or right? Debatable. But think of it this way. Basically all of us who paid our money for UBM, would be financing a "standalone" patch for those that didn't buy it. It may be called the free market - but that ain't what it means!

In the end, we may just have to agree to disagree on this. Either way, obviously I am not unhappy about the $ I spent all things considered, though I do want some bug fixes put out for UBM. *Actuallly - there is one "performance" fix that I have been screaming for since SH3 - so I shouldn't hold my breath.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 09:06 PM   #24
LtCmdrRat
Gunner

Downloads: 110

I think $10 for good modification and real "expansion" is a fair price. I paid it.
Another guy who doesnt have a money will steal it by downloading it from torrents sites or renting it from friends. Gamer's addiction is like drug addiction, alas.
Patch was included in Expansion pack. You can pay - you can steal- or you can rent from friends. Its just a point of choice. Case closed.
PS what is 10 bucks now? 3 or less gallons of gazoline?

LtCmdrRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 09:39 PM   #25
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER
please dont patronize those who wish to charge you for a mod patch.

the very idea of having to pay for a mod goes against everything this community is about.

it is my belief that we are about freely sharing ideas and talent so that all of us can have the best and most enjoyable naval simulation game experience possible.

once we begin paying for mods and patches we will start a process of prostitution of all shared content and destroy what this community is about. allow them to charge for one download (even if it only costs $1) and you will have to start buying every mod and talent sharing will be at an end.
The only problem is , the patch part is about 1% and 99% is great new stuff modders could never had done in there wildest dreams . If 1.4 was the last patch , then i am real glad that i have the opertunity for some extra stuff over and beyond the patches . Now that the patches are/probably finished , keep the addons coming .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 12:57 AM   #26
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo
Is it fair or right? Debatable.
Heck, Ubi has been doing this for years with the IL-2 Sturmovik series, and hardly anyone has batted an eye about it. Yeah, there's always those grumblers, but overall the majority of the community is running the latest version of the game.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 09:17 AM   #27
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

The 1.5 uboat was only $10 for most of yous which is damn cheap, it cost me in NZ $30! Yet i didn't even need to think about wether i should buy it.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 11:48 AM   #28
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Heck, Ubi has been doing this for years with the IL-2 Sturmovik series, and hardly anyone has batted an eye about it. Yeah, there's always those grumblers, but overall the majority of the community is running the latest version of the game.
LOL not to mention EA sports in all its branches: Soccer, Hockey, Basket....

Or Papyrus in the famous NASCAR Racing series....

Or Quake...

Old 04-15-08, 07:28 PM   #29
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
LOL not to mention EA sports in all its branches: Soccer, Hockey, Basket....

Or Papyrus in the famous NASCAR Racing series....

Or Quake...
its not about paying for expansions, hell the expansion was a gift at $10, its worth $30 easy, but as i stated before ubi put it out and advertised it as a u-boat expansion pack "WITH UPDATE 1.5 BUILT IN" so thats what stuck in my craw.

ubi created my desire for the now non-existant patch 1.5 by talking about it only to say now that it cant be had without buying the expansion, and they now are calling it "game enhancements" rather that saying its a patch. i dont want u-boats, i own sh3 so i have all the u-boats i need.

i don't know what changed their minds, maybe the new patch 1.5 files wouldnt work right with the stock game unless they worked out some glitches with it so rather than invest any more time working on it they decided to stop all mention of a patch 1.5 existing in an attempt to avoid people like me wanting it and feeling slighted.

as it stands right now, i feel i have to buy an expansion i dont want just to get all the latest game fixes and be compatable with most of the available mods being created.

if they could enhance the game with the expansion, then they know how to put together a patch to further improve the stock game. the work has already been done in the making of the u-boat expansion, its just a matter of putting the files together for downloading.

just to be clear about this:
im not intending to be slamming ubi on this, i just feel very dissappointed that they chose to not create the stand alone patch 1.5

Last edited by Webster; 04-15-08 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 02:53 AM   #30
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER
i just feel very dissappointed that they chose to not create the stand alone patch 1.5
Hello, earth to reality here! There would be no reason for people to buy the expansion if they put out a 1.5 patch.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote