SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-28-18, 11:38 AM   #106
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Not much time for SH3 lately, but here I made something to enhance my game.
I sail hardcore way. Without my boat on map, I use dead reckoning and coastal navigation. Deep in the sea, except dead reckoning, two or three time per day I make fixes by ctrl+left click, if the sky objects are visible.
First, look over this thread by Sjizzle:Long / lat.

Tycho, do you have an idea how to set board clock to GMT? In this debug screen with coordinates GMT is presented.

Ingame problem with celestial navigation is, that when you start mission, board clock is set to time in nautical timezone where you actualy start (so for example if you are in Kiel, your board clock are set to zone GMT +1.

Second problem - when you load previously saved game, the board clock is reset to time of the actual nautical timezone where your uboat is.
I can live with this, but if there is any possibility how to fix board clock to GMT, it will be very nice.

And second question - do you have any idea how star sky is represented in SH3?

Why I'm asking? I seen the 3D model of hemisphere, it is real "halfball", but what i don't know from where are the stars taken to project it on this spere. And im asking for it, because i created sun almanak for SH3 world, but i can't create star almanak for celestial navigation. This information about exact position of stars is somewhere in SH3 world hidden, but i don't know where. If i will be able to get this info, i can create star almanak corresponding to SH3 world.

In north hemisphere i'm using Polaris when im under 50 deg. When im in higher latitude i use Perkhad when is exactly under Polaris.

In SH3 universe is Perkhad exactly 20 deg (+- so little bit, that you are not able measure it anyway) from Polaris. Measuring of angle bigger as 50 degrees is problem because of camera distorsion, which can't be completely removed. I'm able only precisely know how distorsion looks like, so can create precision degree scale for sextant. For transatlantic traveling it is precisely enough, but longitude is bigger problem and is not acurate enough.

Just imagine, that 1 minute of time is error of 1/4 deg, so it means, that error is 15 NM, that means 30 km in SH3 world. With unacurancy of measuring and unacurancy of 10 deg scale of sun almanak, there is no problem to have error +- 200 km in longitude. Again - for transatlantic travel it can be enough, but in other way it is absolutly unusable. Just imagine, that you need to set course for attacking some convoy and you know your position with precision +- 200 km.... Absolutly unusable.
(for coastal navigation im working on mod with about 2000 lighthouses and lightboats)

3 stars measuring solution can be reason for this. If i can dig out the star data from game somehow...

Last edited by JeromeHeretic; 12-28-18 at 01:05 PM.
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-19, 05:30 AM   #107
Echolot
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 567

Hello Tycho.

Thank you for your patches, I enjoy the full screen maps very much for example.

Do you guess we can get a full screen museum like in SHV in the future?

Echolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-19, 02:41 PM   #108
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
Another comfort addition ,now all pics at their folder

Thank you for sharing
Yeah, but how does it work? And where can I download?
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 08:09 AM   #109
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeHeretic View Post
Tycho, do you have an idea how to set board clock to GMT? In this debug screen with coordinates GMT is presented.
I was read about this time problem, but it is not my concern. I will not go to measure angles myself.
Ideal variant for me is to ask Nav Officer for boat position, and he to report it with long/lat coordinate, if conditions permit.

Something interesting:
This "Time Accel: 1 times", that you see on this debug info is not the time compression, that we use to accelerate the game.
If you use time compression X something, this will stay to "Time Accel: 1 times".
And once, more than year ago, I activated this incidentally.
I tested something, don't remember what, but was not related to this time stuff.
Was some editings in the code and in the save files. And after I load the save, this time acceleration come to "something times".
What happened, is that the world was stay on normal speed of existent, but the sky/stars started to move/rotate quickly.
This did not affect the sun, the sun was stayed on position and moved on normal speed.
So, probably, the movement of the stars and the sun are handled by different functions.
Now I can't remember at all, what I did then, to activate this.

About stars drawing! I can imagine, how the stars are made by some Draw Primitives function in the code, with additional functions for position, rotation..., but where is this, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echolot View Post
Hello Tycho.
Do you guess we can get a full screen museum like in SHV in the future
Are the museum is not the full screen. I don't even remember how exactly the museum looks, I don't use it.
If it is the menu, that hinders you, and if it is in menu_1024_768.ini file, some gui modder can change it. If there have hardcoded menu elements, then it is in sh3.exe and someone have to find and change these. Sorry but, I'm not that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
Sorry, but I can't do these things more easy for you! You need to learn a very basic and easy stuff.
I did the hard work and found a bunch of useful byte location in sh3.exe, change these byte values and you will have some result, like to have different colors for drawing lines on the map tools, for example. Why you can't take advantage of this? I don't understand.
Specifically for screenshots thing, it is single byte change, do it manually with hex editor or put it in TychoSh3Patch.
How to put it there?
With Copy/Paste, as simple as that.
Well, probably I'm not capable to make good explanations. But, it is like it is!
Considering, that I'm out of Silent Hunter, there will not be more easy option from my side.
Old 02-21-19, 07:36 PM   #110
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
hello Anvar,

you can download it from here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=231140

look at the "how to install" section and you will find the download link

The instructions how to make it are here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=105

i used the fast way of the two that Tycho shared.
So , copy-paste in the TychoSh3Patch.map the code:
@@@ The screenshots will go to the SH3Img folder
#
0011DAF2: 40 5c
#
#

and then create a new folder in the main game directory with the exact name SH3Img

Your screenshots ,simply as this, are located now into the "SH3Img" folder

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods

Last edited by makman94; 02-21-19 at 08:06 PM.
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 08:18 PM   #111
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Hello Tycho.

Thank you for your patches, I enjoy the full screen maps very much for example.

Do you guess we can get a full screen museum like in SHV in the future?

hello Echolot,

There is a problem at the museum page and this is not the fulling of the screen itself. This can be easily done via the menu_ini ,the museum.tga and the museum camera parameters of the cameras.dat.
The problem is that ,if you full the museum screen, all the ui items (ships's data..etc) are "covered" by the 3d view and this is not fixable through the menu_ini

Old 02-22-19, 12:02 AM   #112
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
hello Anvar,

you can download it from here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=231140

look at the "how to install" section and you will find the download link

The instructions how to make it are here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=105

i used the fast way of the two that Tycho shared.
So , copy-paste in the TychoSh3Patch.map the code:
@@@ The screenshots will go to the SH3Img folder
#
0011DAF2: 40 5c
#
#

and then create a new folder in the main game directory with the exact name SH3Img

Your screenshots ,simply as this, are located now into the "SH3Img" folder

Thank you very much, makman94! I wish you good luck and wait for you a new interface mod (HAHD).
Old 02-22-19, 03:32 AM   #113
Echolot
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 567

Thank you very much Tycho and makman94.

Echolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 12:19 PM   #114
makman94
Hellas

Quote:

Thank you very much, makman94! I wish you good luck and wait for you a new interface mod (HAHD).
thank you too Anvar but,
I just rewrote you the specific part of Tycho's post that you need for making it work the fast way so ,if you want to try the other way too, you must read Tycho's post carefully and follow his steps

Quote:
Thank you very much Tycho and makman94.

Old 02-22-19, 01:09 PM   #115
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
thank you too Anvar but,
I just rewrote you the specific part of Tycho's post that you need for making it work the fast way so ,if you want to try the other way too, you must read Tycho's post carefully and follow his steps.

I do not know how to use HexEditor and there is no need now. You quite clearly explained and now my screenshots in the separate folder.