Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-10, 10:03 AM   #46
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post
Seriously, this "connect the dot" system is a complete joke, and it caters to the console gamer mentality honestly.
Sheesh.
It's not just the dots system, everything from the comical crew members to the Tonka-style engine controls to speech bubbles feels like they've moved away from a serious, somber study of submarine operations to a light-hearted, frivolous romp. Like Operation Petticoat for U-Boats. The whole mood of the game strikes me as inappropiate for a subsim.

Shame because the eye-candy, phycisal atmosphere are top-notch.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:04 AM   #47
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itkovian View Post
Aye, this is my primary problem right now. Without knowing how to use the stadi, it is very difficult to get any kind of proper solution. Indeed, seems to me getting accurate range is the key (alongside angle-off-bow) to get proper solutions through the new manual TDC.

I'll try doing waterline-to-funnel with map updates on, and see if it matches.

Itkovian
Ok, here is what I have been doing to confirm "where" to take stadimeter reading from.

If you target a ship via the keys and the WO, you can ask for an estimated range reading, he will give you the range, take the stadimeter and line up the water line and find the exact same range by using the stadimeter.

In most cases I have found taking the range from the bridge roofs are best.

Now if I had a lot of time on my hands, which I don't. I would do this for every ship and record the values so I could relay the info to you fine people. I may do it on the weekend.

If you want these keys modded, use my commands keys in my downloads.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:06 AM   #48
Galanti
Captain

Quote:
Aye, this is my primary problem right now. Without knowing how to use the stadi, it is very difficult to get any kind of proper solution. Indeed, seems to me getting accurate range is the key (alongside angle-off-bow) to get proper solutions through the new manual TDC.

I'll try doing waterline-to-funnel with map updates on, and see if it matches.

Itkovian
Is there an 'WO, Identify ship' feature in place?
Old 03-03-10, 10:12 AM   #49
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galanti View Post
Is there an 'WO, Identify ship' feature in place?
Yep
Old 03-03-10, 10:16 AM   #50
Itkovian
Helmsman

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
Yep
What is it? how is it used?

Also, when reding from the roof... do you mean you put the crosshairs on the waterline, and then the 2nd horizontal line to the roof?

Itkovian
Itkovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:22 AM   #51
joejccva71
Watch

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Ok, here is what I have been doing to confirm "where" to take stadimeter reading from.

If you target a ship via the keys and the WO, you can ask for an estimated range reading, he will give you the range, take the stadimeter and line up the water line and find the exact same range by using the stadimeter.

Now if I had a lot of time on my hands, which I don't. I would do this for every ship and record the values so I could relay the info to you fine people. I may do it on the weekend.

I can't even find the Stadi in SH5, nor can find any way to input anything for my firing solution. I have to check my settings and difficulty but I was sure that I set it for 100% realism.

Where can you pull up the stadimeter at and input your firing solution at?
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:32 AM   #52
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
What is it? how is it used?

Also, when reding from the roof... do you mean you put the crosshairs on the waterline, and then the 2nd horizontal line to the roof?

Itkovian
For Identify Target you need to add the key, if your not privy on how to enter keys then just use my mod in my downloads.

For those wondering how to edit keys properly here is how you do it:

Find Setkeys 1.3, an old SH3 keys editor. Extract this to a folder. Copy your commands.cfg from your SH5 directory and put it in the folder you extracted Setkeys in too. Now rename your commands.cfg to commands_en.cfg.

Now this part is tricky, load up Setkeys, it asks for the location of your commands.cfg point it to the Setkeys folder and choose commands_en.cfg.

Load up Setkeys program. Now you can change your keys. When done changing keys, save it. After its saved open the commmands_en.cfg and look for your edited commands. Now don't take the whole command as they have changed in SH5, simply take the command key as shown below:

So the command looks something like this:

[Cmd343]
Name=WP_Identify_target
Contexts=1
MnID=0x3F130002
Key0=0x49,s,"SHIFT I"

Take only this part:

Key0=0x49,s,"SHIFT I"

Ok now find your original commands.cfg in SH5 directory. Find [Cmd343] and simply add only the key copy to the bottom of the command. These are just simple hex codes for keys and some people may not even need set keys once they see the key structures. But for me Setkeys does the job. Cudos to the original author.

In regards, to where to place the stadimeter...

You take the 0 horizon line on your scope, align with the waterline and then take the stadimeter line to where ever you believe the range should be taken.
Old 03-03-10, 10:36 AM   #53
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 20

Quote:
It's not just the dots system, everything from the comical crew members to the Tonka-style engine controls to speech bubbles feels like they've moved away from a serious, somber study of submarine operations to a light-hearted, frivolous romp. Like Operation Petticoat for U-Boats. The whole mood of the game strikes me as inappropiate for a subsim.

Shame because the eye-candy, phycisal atmosphere are top-notch.

Yeah don't get me going on how you control the depth.. My god it hardly works.

What ever happened to the simple punching it a Exact dept and going to it.

Now you click on this tiny little graph and if your lucky you might come within 10-20 feet of what you wanted. If the click works at all.

They seriously did take a huge step back in this version. They changed too many things that worked well in the last 2 games. I like the whole crew aspect... But not at the cost of the fuctionality of the last 2 games.

They could of given us the crew and kept the dials, and things from the last 2 games... Change is bad.. LOTS of changes are real bad...

I wish I could talk positive about this game. But its hard. Maybe it will grow on me...

malkuth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:37 AM   #54
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkuth74 View Post
Yeah don't get me going on how you control the depth.. My god it hardly works.

What ever happened to the simple punching it a Exact dept and going to it.

Now you click on this tiny little graph and if your lucky you might come within 10-20 feet of what you wanted. If the click works at all.

They seriously did take a huge step back in this version. They changed too many things that worked well in the last 2 games. I like the whole crew aspect... But not at the cost of the fuctionality of the last 2 games.

They could of given us the crew and kept the dials, and things from the last 2 games... Change is bad.. LOTS of changes are real bad...

I wish I could talk positive about this game. But its hard. Maybe it will grow on me...
Maintaining depth is a PITA. I can't seem to get that key to work properly.
Old 03-03-10, 10:45 AM   #55
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post
I can't even find the Stadi in SH5, nor can find any way to input anything for my firing solution. I have to check my settings and difficulty but I was sure that I set it for 100% realism.

Where can you pull up the stadimeter at and input your firing solution at?

when you lock onto a ship w. TDC on, your XO will give you a proposed firing solution (look at my screenshot on p.1 for reference). All of the underlined text ( i.e. ship ID, AOB, range, speed) can be modified, just click on the underlined option and it takes you to another drop down menu where you can input data. If you click on "range", it takes you to a menu where you can use the stadimeter or directly type in the range you want.
Old 03-03-10, 10:49 AM   #56
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:

you have to take into account the fact that the range the XO gives you is usually fairly off from the real range. You can verify this by comparing the range he gives you with the real range on the map when you have map updates "on".
Old 03-03-10, 11:18 AM   #57
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
you have to take into account the fact that the range the XO gives you is usually fairly off from the real range. You can verify this by comparing the range he gives you with the real range on the map when you have map updates "on".
Nope, the estimated range is right on everytime....

Check it out:

Old 03-03-10, 11:25 AM   #58
Galanti
Captain

Does it seriously say "Roof"?
Old 03-03-10, 11:29 AM   #59
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Does it seriously say "Roof"?
huh? thats my comments via the mp game chat
Old 03-03-10, 11:39 AM   #60
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husksubsky View Post
Now if your know your course is 0° and his course is 270° and his relative bearing is 50°, you can do the math for angle on the bow.

So its Target True Bearing + (plus) Ships Course - (minus) 180 = AOB Which in our case is:

50 + 270 - 180 = 140 AOB

Now adjust the range and confirm the speed.

Now if your True Target Bearing is 350°, you would simply minus 10 from the formula as so:

10 - 270 - 180 = 80 AOB

hmm you don t need to know the bearing or your course as long as you know his course and what magnetic direction he is in. ( but after all bearing + ship course is the same as magnetic direction).Just felt for underlining that where you point your nose has nothing to do with AOB. Sorry for being difficult..nothing you said was wrong

(and sorry for messing up quote arggh how do I quote parts of a text?)
Oh indeed, and thanks, adds to the thread for sure.