SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-19, 05:48 PM   #7246
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
this is a periscope view of the port of Takanabe. Where is the frickin dock? it was visible from external view but not the periscope.
OK, checked-out, and I don't know why you aren't seeing the dock there. In fact, you're not seeing the trees either. One of the docks in the game does not have a 2D image, and there are problems seeing that, but in this case it is the "Small_Pacific_Harbor_II.dat" and dds files, so there shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I can think of is the LOD distance. As an example:

The top image does not have the entire width of the dock in it, but you can see the cranes, etc. In the 2nd image, zooming back, a lot of the detail is lost. You see a "hole" in the dock to the left, and a lot of the cranes have disappeared, or turned into just a single vertical line, as to the right. The lighthouse lights disappear last, just after the the 2nd image above.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 08:18 AM   #7247
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
Better not use your memory on the new system.

By the way...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=239617

OMG! I just now saw all the BDay greetings...Thanks for the good wishes!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 08:18 AM   #7248
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Looks to me like v.80 has tweaked the next unit camera to allow close in views. I like that! I notice that the camera position remains the same if you press "." and go to the next boat in your contacts. I'm not sure that I remember if that has been standard behavior for that feature in the past.

One thing I thought that I should also mention. It may be that nothing can be done about it anyway. But I'm going to ask. Any chance we can get the moon to reflect the same color off the water as it is in the sky?

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 01:11 PM   #7249
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
OMG! I just now saw all the BDay greetings...Thanks for the good wishes!
But you have to write this in the appropriate post so that the well-wishers also notice...

Old 01-22-19, 06:56 PM   #7250
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, checked-out, and I don't know why you aren't seeing the dock there. In fact, you're not seeing the trees either. One of the docks in the game does not have a 2D image, and there are problems seeing that, but in this case it is the "Small_Pacific_Harbor_II.dat" and dds files, so there shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I can think of is the LOD distance. As an example:

The top image does not have the entire width of the dock in it, but you can see the cranes, etc. In the 2nd image, zooming back, a lot of the detail is lost. You see a "hole" in the dock to the left, and a lot of the cranes have disappeared, or turned into just a single vertical line, as to the right. The lighthouse lights disappear last, just after the the 2nd image above.
can't say about level of distance. if you look at the distance to target dial, it is approx 4500 yds so that is approx how far i was from the target which was moored at the dock. i would also estimate that i was on high-power or zoomed in on the periscope view.

is that too far away to see any detail? beats me.
i can try and remember to head back that way on the next patrol in the area and check it out but i do remember that things got very shallow at the 4500 yd marker.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 09:17 PM   #7251
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost1349 View Post
Ahoy
my very first post here.
First of all, thanks for the good mod.
Unfortunately, I have a CTD.
I use Large Address Aware and it's stable.
I was transferred to Pearl Habour after the last patrol to take over a new boat.
After the briefing and start of Patrollie outside the port, there was a big graphic error and then CTD.
I loaded the last Patrollie and rejected the new boat. Now a new mission could be started. No CTD.

What did you do with the sonar guys ??? they are deaf.
Welcome Frost:

Yes the sonar man is deaf but only at certain depths and angle on the bow from the target. I have had targets at zero angle on the bow at periscope depth and the sonar man heard nothing. I can go to the sonar station and hear ships miles away. The sonar crew set up is a bit odd to me.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 09:52 PM   #7252
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Hey Prop I just had my third CTD

I can't tell you exactly where I was. I left midway Dec. 1942 and was off Hokkaido for a five day stay at the Tojo Astoria. It is now Jan. 1943

I had found some rich fishing and had about 50,000 tonnes. A German Large Oiler and Diasura (or something like that) 25mm Were two of the many ships to go down. The Diasura (SP) was a tiny gun boat with AA cannons. I sank it with one deck gun hit at 4000 yards. It did not ride in the water properly however:

YES IT IS OUT OF THE WATER

Upon leaving the area I was spotted by two fighter bombers and dove to avoid them. At about 60 feet the game crashed.

Same fault I had on the last one. c0000005

Another odd issue I discovered was the Diasura at periscope depth was spotted 7900 yards away by the crew while a merchant 1000 yards off my bow was not reported.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-22-19, 10:30 PM   #7253
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
... Any chance we can get the moon to reflect the same color off the water as it is in the sky?
I'm not sure if multiple pictures are allowed in the reflection, but that's what it is, is a picture of light, not an actual reflection. You might also notice that it doesn't do a very good job of "varying" its intensity when a cloud passes by... Maybe someone knows more about what can be done with a "reflection" in the dat file...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
can't say about level of distance...
If you compare the relative appearance of the hill behind town, my pix are from a further distance away than yours - but I don't know if the settings for the game and / or video card make a difference there or not. I'm further back though, and I can see some of the trees still, even though I am starting to lose detail on the dock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
... Yes the sonar man is deaf but only at certain depths and angle on the bow...
CapnScurvy has done some tweaking on that for the next release. However, one thing to keep in mind about the sonar, and the radar too, is that once you have "visual", you will often lose both sonar and radar, unless you yourself are at the station. Sometimes doing the "follow nearest target" holds, sometimes not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Hey Prop I just had my third CTD...
You're driving your crew too hard mister! - The error message from Windows will almost always be very similar, just due to the way the game runs. Windows can only "point to" SH4.exe and say "He did it! Wasn't me!" I'll keep digging into the Tambor / Gar boats and their assigned missions, as well as traffic off the Japanese coast for bad "calls". That is a Daihatsu barge, btw, and they might be empty running light, or loaded with solders or a vehcle, or mounted with guns. In any case, they should NOT be that far out of the water, so I've got another test mission to run. Maybe if s7rikeback sees this, he can look at the Daihatsu's files, and make sure we didn't miss something with it. Just do NOT let the airplanes see you! Do you think the CTD may have co-incided with the bomb(s) impacting the water? Did you catch what type they were?... Thanks folks!

Old 01-23-19, 03:22 AM   #7254
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
I'm not sure if multiple pictures are allowed in the reflection, but that's what it is, is a picture of light, not an actual reflection. You might also notice that it doesn't do a very good job of "varying" its intensity when a cloud passes by... Maybe someone knows more about what can be done with a "reflection" in the dat file...

If you compare the relative appearance of the hill behind town, my pix are from a further distance away than yours - but I don't know if the settings for the game and / or video card make a difference there or not. I'm further back though, and I can see some of the trees still, even though I am starting to lose detail on the dock...

CapnScurvy has done some tweaking on that for the next release. However, one thing to keep in mind about the sonar, and the radar too, is that once you have "visual", you will often lose both sonar and radar, unless you yourself are at the station. Sometimes doing the "follow nearest target" holds, sometimes not...

You're driving your crew too hard mister! - The error message from Windows will almost always be very similar, just due to the way the game runs. Windows can only "point to" SH4.exe and say "He did it! Wasn't me!" I'll keep digging into the Tambor / Gar boats and their assigned missions, as well as traffic off the Japanese coast for bad "calls". That is a Daihatsu barge, btw, and they might be empty running light, or loaded with solders or a vehcle, or mounted with guns. In any case, they should NOT be that far out of the water, so I've got another test mission to run. Maybe if s7rikeback sees this, he can look at the Daihatsu's files, and make sure we didn't miss something with it. Just do NOT let the airplanes see you! Do you think the CTD may have co-incided with the bomb(s) impacting the water? Did you catch what type they were?... Thanks folks!
Gotcha propbeanie, will take a look after the school run, this morning.

No problems found with the files, both the museum & in-game files are working fine

Last edited by s7rikeback; 01-23-19 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Update
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 08:15 AM   #7255
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:

I was in a Gato Class. USS Drum.

The Daihatsu had the weapon mounts shown in the third photo below, weapons pointed forward. and it was very rough seas. One freighter broke up before I even fire my first fish.

The planes I do not recall. I know they were fighter bombers and they went dove over me as if they were dropping bombs but nothing happened. When they came back around I was diving and then the CTD.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-23-19, 03:10 PM   #7256
propbeanie

I sailed from Midway, January 14, 1943 merc, went to Kyushu via the Mariannas, and now I'm going northeast along the coast, pretending to be the Galloping Ghost... no issues whatsoever thus far. I have noticed one thing though: if you use TC over 2048, the audio stream can and does go whonky at times, just like in Stock... I have not sunk anything yet, thank you very much BuOrd... sheesh. Two under-runners, and two klunkers... No explosions even.

What are your system specs merc4ulfate? Are you certain that the LAA is set correctly on the SH4.exe file? Do you ever "shell-out" to Windows with the Windows key, the <alt> or <Ctrl><Tab> combinations? Even if your game is "paused"

Old 01-23-19, 04:44 PM   #7257
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

odd...my tc maxes out at 2048.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 05:13 PM   #7258
propbeanie

I'm experimenting some more, trying to break things as well as cdrsubron7 or merc4ulfate or KaleunMarco can... - There is good reason to keep it at 2048x

Old 01-23-19, 05:54 PM   #7259
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
odd...my tc maxes out at 2048.
you dont want it any higher.
trust me.

LAA enabled
Old 01-23-19, 06:01 PM   #7260
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

ok....i think i get it now.
i went back to Takanabe at the end of my last patrol and the results were the same: no dock visible from my periscope.

when i docked i checked my Graphics settings and discovered that some dumbass had set my Terrain Graphics to less than 5. (this one only goes to 10) more than likely this is reason that you see a dock and i do not. dumbass.

i'll verify on my next patrol.

LAA enabled