SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-18, 10:11 AM   #1
somedude88
Torpedoman

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default Bug: enemy surface and submersible torpedoes not a threat

[SPOILER]I've noticed that other than air-dropped ones, enemy torpedoes always run at a depth of 200-300 ft or higher, never lower.

This seems to always be the case for campaigns, with single missions being better.

Not sure why that is or if that has been the case all this time, but it makes fighting in the campaigns really silly. I just go to a depth of 1200 or more and just stay there the entire time, charging the enemy and making as much noise as possible. The enemy AI will essentially launch a hundred torpedoes, but since they are only running at a shallow depth, they are never a threat.

But since the AI, especially the novembers, stick to a depth similar to their torpedoes, they often get killed by their own. I've gone through several missions without firing a single torpedo but managed to sink a dozen vessels, ships included, because they fire circle pattern torpedoes at a depth of 100-200ft, then run into them. And the thing is I don't even try to be quiet anymore. So it's not like they're firing in a rough guesstimation. I go full ahead, pinging away like crazy, cavitating sometimes and they just keep firing torps that are 1000ft above me, never endangering me and effectively killing all tension and strategy in the game.

[/SPOILER]

Last edited by somedude88; 03-31-18 at 10:06 AM.
somedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 01:25 PM   #2
somedude88
Torpedoman

Anybody else notice this or is it just me?
Old 03-22-18, 01:59 PM   #3
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

i have not had that problem at all. Torpedoes seem to chase me to all depths, especially if I'm not observing noise discipline. Are you playing in easy mode?
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 02:03 PM   #4
somedude88
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Hunt View Post
i have not had that problem at all. Torpedoes seem to chase me to all depths, especially if I'm not observing noise discipline. Are you playing in easy mode?
Maybe the settings changed when I updated? I'll double check.

The torpedoes WILL chase you into the deep if they pick you up on sensors, but they are always initially launched at such a shallow depth and never change depth when they go active, that if the water is deep enough, you can always just run deep and let the torpedoes pass over you. When they go active, they never go nose down on their own during their search phase.
Old 03-22-18, 04:16 PM   #5
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Icon12

I recently (last video) had my own MK-48 almost get to the enemy and decide to turn back on me. It was a harrowing long chase at all depths. So no I've not had your problem.

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 08:26 PM   #6
somedude88
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGamer View Post
I recently (last video) had my own MK-48 almost get to the enemy and decide to turn back on me. It was a harrowing long chase at all depths. So no I've not had your problem.
Well then, I don't know why this happens in every game.
Forgive the quality, my rig's part toaster.

Surface ships too, if I can manage not to get blown up by the depth charges, they release torps and kill themselves too.

I set for about 1200-1400 ft depth, charge at the enemy with Active sonar, letting everyone know where I am and they still manage to blow themselves up.

EDIT: I checked my difficulty, it's set to Realistic.

Last edited by somedude88; 03-22-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-23-18, 04:58 AM   #7
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

The only answer I can offer is you are way below the enemy torpedo recognition cone. 1700ft is really deep. If you were at maybe 600 feet they possibly would come down to ruin your day.
The enemy torpedoes are also doing a snake search, showing they are probably not wire guided meaning the enemy sub can't steer them down to you.

I'm not sure what version of ColdWaters you're running.

is the best!!!

Old 03-23-18, 07:54 AM   #8
somedude88
Torpedoman

Quote:
The enemy torpedoes are also doing a snake search, showing they are probably not wire guided meaning the enemy sub can't steer them down to you.

I'm not sure what version of ColdWaters you're running.
I'm running the latest version, I think that makes it 1.09E.

Why would I intentionally limit my depth to 600 ft? The devs should change the AI to use the depth settings properly on their torpedoes or at least dive down deeper to reach the same depth as I am.

And as you can see in the video, the last torpedo fired at me @ 4:35, you can see the torpedo beginning to go up as it went into its first circle. It should have started going down. It just doesn't make sense that they can detect me, pinging away less than 2000 ft away, and I have the engine shut off to make myself an easy target, and they still fired a torpedo that decreased depth instead of increasing depth.
Old 03-23-18, 08:03 AM   #9
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

I guess I can't help you. Why not ask a Dev? The game is still in Beta BTW.

Also I never said you "had" to run at 600ft. It was an example.

is the best!!!

Old 03-23-18, 10:49 AM   #10
somedude88
Torpedoman

Quote:
I guess I can't help you. Why not ask a Dev? The game is still in Beta BTW.

Also I never said you "had" to run at 600ft. It was an example.
Sorry, I'm not trying to **** on you, it's just I really do want to like this game, but this sort or "revelation" kinda tanks the whole experience.

I know the devs occasionally page through the forums, hopefully they will see this post and know how to fix it.
Old 03-24-18, 02:17 AM   #11
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude88 View Post
Sorry, I'm not trying to **** on you, it's just I really do want to like this game, but this sort or "revelation" kinda tanks the whole experience.

I know the devs occasionally page through the forums, hopefully they will see this post and know how to fix it.
It's not a problem. Like I said it's still in Beta, and in the future they may add torps that spiril down and search different depths.

What you have done is create a senerio that would never happen in real life (or the Captain would loose his command lol) and made the game not able to react properly. No Sub commamnder would charge around like in your video. You,ve done nothing wrong, but the game can't react to it as I said above. Try a shallow depth and watch what happens for the fun of it.

is the best!!!

Old 03-24-18, 04:32 AM   #12
Gaxanuzi
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have a feeling you are playing the '68 campaign? If that is the case there were very few submarines that could dive deeper than 700-800 feet, so most (if not all) weapons are fired shallow and the detection cone is only able to "see" to about that depth. Air dropped weapons though, will circle as they dive down (eg helicopter and MPA) and they do go deep.

If you are playing the '84 campaign, perhaps you have not come up against the newer submarines (eg ALFA, CHARLIE II, OSCAR), as they can and will fire multiple UGST and these weapons are comparable to the Mk48 ADCAP, and these will definitely "see" you at 1200'.

Surface vessels generally have the older weapons that have the limitation of not being able to detect at depth.

Not sure if this answers your question, and I may be wrong on some of these points... Always happy to hear from someone more knowledgeable than I am.
Old 03-27-18, 04:56 PM   #13
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 391

It's also possible that by running at flank bell straight at the torpedo, you are able to get under it (or at least its seeker cone) before it has activated.

The thermocline may also be a factor, as may be the difficulty settings. Does it still happen at Elite level?

I haven't experienced this problem, but I'll have a go at duplicating it.

Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-18, 01:52 AM   #14
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 391
Support Revision

Well, The crew of HMS Torbay would beg to differ if they were still alive. Their remains rest on the bottom of the Greenland Sea, victims of 2 torpedo's fired at them while at a depth of 1500' from an Udaloy.

Kind of glad this isn't a bug

Last edited by Capt. Morgan; 04-17-18 at 07:47 PM. Reason: update
Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote