SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-17-17, 06:31 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar Somali Pirates VS Ship's Private Security Guards

This is how merchant ships should be staffed in these waters.

Old 09-17-17, 07:58 AM   #2
dmagnusson
Seaman

Downloads: 94
Uploads: 0

budget defeance
dmagnusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 08:42 AM   #3
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Pretty sure they just wanted to talk....oh well

Rock n roll.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 09:57 AM   #4
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

I've seen this footage already a couple of years back. not sure if Somali pirates are still a thing. it has become pretty quiet about them.
Old 09-17-17, 12:59 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default "High officials are involved in this,”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I've seen this footage already a couple of years back. not sure if Somali pirates are still a thing. it has become pretty quiet about them.
NOPE still a threat: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/world/africa/somalia-pirates.html
Quote:
After several stingy rainy seasons, Somalia is on the verge of famine, with hundreds of thousands of people rapidly running out of food.
“Hunger is pushing people into crime,” Mr. Mubarak said. “It’s making a lot of people look for something.”
Other analysts said that more illegal foreign fishing vessels were plying the waters off Somalia’s coast, pestering Somali fishermen and possibly turning some toward violence.
At the end of the day, analysts said, Somali piracy is a business decision. Rich merchants in central Somalia and Puntland must have decided that after years of being a money-losing operation, there were riches to made again in high-seas piracy.
slightly dated(4/17) but current enough to consider still a viable threat.
Puntland??!! ie: the ancient 'Land of Punt' All things at sea are strategic: and piracy is always about profit margins...throw in the Islamic connection: Prophet margins as well

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 02:06 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
True that regarding the footage but it's always good to be reminded how entertaining effective security can be

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 07:21 AM   #7
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I sure do not like those pirates, and they are really dangerous if you are underway in a smaller sailing boat or such. And certainly to undefended larger ships.

That said those videos showing the killing of humans that have no chance at all, be it being mowed down by machine gun fire from a tanker or via missiles fired by helicopters or drones, and then putting this glorious "win" footage up on Youtube, is imho tasteless.
If we need that as retaliation for e.g. those glorious daesh beheading videos, we are not much better than them.

Yes i know i'm strange

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 09:06 AM   #8
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Destroy one threat and scare off the other so they can tell the story of how piracy isn't the life its all cracked up to be.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 09:12 AM   #9
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ Assumed anyone survives, or others do watch this video, true.
I still don't like it.

But i had to laugh, seeing this lettering on the oil tanker's superstructure like "Protect the environment" and "No smoking"

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 10:30 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

One must not like it, catfish, I do not "like" such acting either. And boasting with killing is not my thing, too. But that is how combat spirit is kept alive. The warrior must be kept in an angry, gloomy mood, and he must get any kind of recognition for his mastering of the war-art. A fop of good manners that is gentle to everybody and is loved by every mother-in-law - is not a well-qualified candidate in most exmaples, i woudl assume.

We must not like it. But: determination would be good enough anyway, would be fully sufficient. And see the other side as well: many tanker and trader crews that were taken hostage for months, went through hell, were heavily traumatized, were mistreated, held in fear, psychologically crushed, were kept low on food and water, got intimatded by threatening them with execution. Thats why I say: all MGs, hammer away. Victims rank over perpetrators for me, unconditionally.

What I cannot let go through is if some people sometimes say that if we defend by acting like "they" do, with armed force that is, then we are not better than them. That relativization is often made today, and it is unforgivable, for it declares the victim of crime as equal to the perpetrator, it gives more value to the criminal than he deserves. They are not eqaul, the criminal is the criminal and the victim is his victim. If victim defends itself against crime, this does not pull it down to the cirminal's moral level. It in fact displays the struggle to remain something better than the crimninal, or a servile, passive victim.

Resistence is what shows that the criminal is so much less than his victim.

And the best crime prevention is if the criminal learns that he has all good reasons indeed to be afraid of his intended victims. So make him afraid - by threat and deed.
Old 09-19-17, 11:01 AM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I would like it better if these pirates would stay away from merchant shipping altogether and invest their energy in farming, making leather goods, educating their children, building a manufacturing base and generally improving their region. No one would need to get shot then. But if they attack, they die. Totally their call.
Old 09-19-17, 01:19 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I would like it better if these pirates would stay away from merchant shipping altogether and invest their energy in farming, making leather goods, educating their children, building a manufacturing base and generally improving their region. No one would need to get shot then. But if they attack, they die. Totally their call.
Or if they would point their weapons at their corrupted tribal leaders and their guards, and get rid of them, and get rid of their tribal primitive social living systems as well.
Old 09-19-17, 03:32 PM   #13
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ ...
But i had to laugh, seeing this lettering on the oil tanker's superstructure like "Protect the environment" and "No smoking"
I had the same reaction.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pirates, somali