SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-08, 01:46 PM   #151
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
PT, no worries. When I said "not constructive" I suppose what I'm getting at is... yes I know the fixed zoom level isn't for everyone, but folks have the choice, and I can't offer any more than that. If I knew a way to fix the pancake effect without breaking zooms, I'd do it. What bothered me about your post was, it's like you were saying that nobody else is going to like it at all... and I hope that's not true. Remember what I told you before, grasshopper: if you love your mod, it was worth making it; if one other person loves your mod, it was worth releasing it.

From a gameplay/functional point of view, for me personally, the only thing I miss (just a little bit) is the 1.5X zoom on the obs scope... the new attack scope zoom suits me fine, even if it's not a RL zoom level.
And what exactly happens if you add a 1.5x zoom to the obs periscope? Tecnically, if you fixed the waves to look good at 6x, when you zoom out to 1.5x (which is almost null zoom) they should look perfect as well... And even if they don't, you could use a 1x zoom, wouldn't it work?

If I make the waves look right at 6X and allow the player to zoom out to 1.5X, two things happen:
Firstly, the pancake effect happens in reverse i.e. the waves get bigger (huge).
Secondly, many graphical artefacts appear all over the place and the game becomes unstable (high chance of CTD).

And what if you set the attack zoom to fixed 6x? The double mast values is the only issue?

An attack scope fixed at 6X would be useless to high-realism players (like me :p) who get close to their targets.

Just throwing some "what ifs" to understand the mechanics, not requesting anything!
Above in green.
Old 04-20-08, 01:53 PM   #152
Lapazeus
Watch

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Ok, I did a quick test with no mods activated.

- First, now the sun was flat from all vantage points. I'm not sure whether I've had this problem all along. I have a faint memory of the sun halo working with some mod combination. Maybe with GWX 2.0 and OLC GUI 1.2.1, I'm not sure though. Sorry, not very helpful. Anyway, your fix seems to almost fix it, which is certainly better than a totally flat sun.

-Secondly, I did have the hatch mod - that came with GWX 2.1 - installed. However, now that I tested the game with no mods activated, I still had the same problem with the lights. Now that I think of it, I might have had this problem from day one. So, it's most likely either a stock bug or something that came with GWX 2.x. I suspect the former.

You've really made such a good GUI that now I seem to start paying attention to little details/flaws that I might not have even noticed before.
Lapazeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 01:56 PM   #153
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapazeus
Ok, I did a quick test with no mods activated.

- First, now the sun was flat from all vantage points. I'm not sure whether I've had this problem all along. I have a faint memory of the sun halo working with some mod combination. Maybe with GWX 2.0 and OLC GUI 1.2.1, I'm not sure though. Sorry, not very helpful. Anyway, your fix seems to almost fix it, which is certainly better than a totally flat sun.

-Secondly, I did have the hatch mod - that came with GWX 2.1 - installed. However, now that I tested the game with no mods activated, I still had the same problem with the lights. Now that I think of it, I might have had this problem from day one. So, it's most likely either a stock bug or something that came with GWX 2.x. Again, I suspect the former.

You've really made such a good GUI that now I seem to start paying attention to little details/flaws that I might not have even noticed before.
Thanks. BTW, the sunhalo (as well as the lights inside the sub) can be greatly affected by your AA settings, on your graphics card. If AA is off, try turning it on and maxing it out. If it is on, try turning it down. I might help a lot. On my rig it has a huge effect.
Old 04-20-08, 02:04 PM   #154
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

I'm not sure if that's "high-realism"... But I'm trusting your judgement.

How close would that be? 1000 meters?

And how do you manage to attack convoys if you approach that much? Its too hard to scape. During the WW2 they would shoot at longer range, two eels for two targets, or sometimes 4 targets at once, between 2 and 4km away. I read about one attacking a destroyer about 6km away, and sunk it!

Its very hard to get at 800meters of the target without being spotted or heard... very stealthy movement, and not rushing anything...
Old 04-20-08, 02:19 PM   #155
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Your previous "Medium RWF" had a beautiful night, realistic but still "operational" with visible details... Nice balance sky-sea-boat :

Still hope that present version could have a bit "brighten" night like this above...

Any chance Maestro ?

Adriatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 02:36 PM   #156
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
I'm not sure if that's "high-realism"... But I'm trusting your judgement.

How close would that be? 1000 meters?

And how do you manage to attack convoys if you approach that much? Its too hard to scape. During the WW2 they would shoot at longer range, two eels for two targets, or sometimes 4 targets at once, between 2 and 4km away. I read about one attacking a destroyer about 6km away, and sunk it!

Its very hard to get at 800meters of the target without being spotted or heard... very stealthy movement, and not rushing anything...
It depends on the ship size, but I tend to shoot from anywhere between 500 and 2500 metres (sometimes more, but rarely). I thought that was realistic but maybe not, who knows?
Old 04-20-08, 02:45 PM   #157
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

One of the things that I like the most in this mod is the Sky. How did you make it blend in like this!

Just little courious.:hmm:

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 02:54 PM   #158
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Thanks for a cool mod . I like the dark night very much .
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 03:03 PM   #159
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

@Adriatico
In terms of brightness, there is very little difference between the partially cloudy nights of OLCE1 and OLCE2. I've taken the screenshot you just posted (an OLCE1 shot) and put it side-by-side with an OLCE2 shot taken in the same cloud/sky conditions:

The one on the right is OLCE2.

@Myxale
I'm mot sure what you're asking about... what blending do you mean?

@Mikael
:rotfl:
Old 04-20-08, 03:43 PM   #160
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I've just reinstalled everything, SH3, Patch, GWX 2.1 and your Uber (the full monty). I play in a similar style to you so i'm happy with the logic behind the scopes. However, I do have one problem....the FPS is so fast (148) that I can't fine adjust the image in the UZO very well.....i.e. when I hold down CTRL and use arrow keys to rotate the UZO image it moves way too fast...makes using the UZO near impossible for range estimation using yellow vertical marks.

So is there anyway of slowing down the image movement when CTRL is pressed ?

Also, I have a BFG 8800 GTS so if anyone has a similar card i'd be interested to know what nHancer settings you're using.

Thanks....
Old 04-20-08, 03:54 PM   #161
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
I've just reinstalled everything, SH3, Patch, GWX 2.1 and your Uber (the full monty). I play in a similar style to you so i'm happy with the logic behind the scopes. However, I do have one problem....the FPS is so fast (148) that I can't fine adjust the image in the UZO very well.....i.e. when I hold down CTRL and use arrow keys to rotate the UZO image it moves way too fast...makes using the UZO near impossible for range estimation using yellow vertical marks.

So is there anyway of slowing down the image movement when CTRL is pressed ?

Also, I have a BFG 8800 GTS so if anyone has a similar card i'd be interested to know what nHancer settings you're using.

Thanks....
One thing you can do is turn on vertical sync in the SH3 graphics options. That should help. May I ask, why are you using the arrow keys instead of the mouse?
Old 04-20-08, 04:00 PM   #162
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the tip, have turned it on in nHancer and SH3.

I use both to be honest, but tend to scan the horizon with arrow keys as my mouse resolution is configured for drawing on the map accurately. I've a wee button I can press on the mouse to change the resolution but its fiddly so I tend to leave it set for mapping.....means I have to drag it all over the place in the optic views, hence why I tend towards the keys
Old 04-20-08, 04:09 PM   #163
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Are there any "tips" with MiniTweaker and scene.dat ...that I could try to "tune up" my night light?
Or it is "don't try this at home"... heavily coded.

Adriatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:23 PM   #164
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatico
Are there any "tips" with MiniTweaker and scene.dat ...that I could try to "tune up" my night light?
Or it is "don't try this at home"... heavily coded.
It's certainly not a walk in the park, to be honest. I'm not trying to "guard secrets" or anything daft like that; any modder here will (I hope) testify that I'm normally willing to share any and all info that I have. But the sheer amount of research that I had to put into figuring out all the interactions between all the different colours and colour settings is not going to be possible to convey in a few sentences. Nevertheless, if you're feeling adventurous, I can tell you which files to poke around in (in fact I think I already did, when you asked the same question in the OLCE1 thread ).
Old 04-20-08, 04:52 PM   #165
Marko_Ramius
Frogman

Downloads: 109

Hi OLC,

Just to thank you for OLCE2

I didn't play so much SH3 these last days, but made just a quick look at it, and it seem's that you made again some great work !!

One question about OLC GUI :

I plan to use it with my next patrol. It will be hard cause it's realy a whole new GUI and i must learn to use it. BUT : Is it compatible with a 1680x1050 widescreen resolution ?

It would be hard for me ( in fact, impossible) to return to a 4/3 ration in 1024 ..

I watched your video totorial and i'm really, really impressed Man, you deserve a medal for your work. Amazing !
Marko_Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote