Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-11-11, 01:37 PM   #16
otester
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Based off Wikipedia (I know I know..) T34/85s could engage Tigers at 100/500m range.

Answer? Engage them from further out. Do not give away your position and wait for a clean shot to the track or engine compartment.

If I recall, Tigers could penetrate T-34s at the 1-1.5km mark no? That gives you 1000m breathing room from when the T-34 can effectively engage you.
This doesn't seem to be accurately represented in the game, I've been knocked out by T-34/85's from the front at over 1km before.

I always try to get the maximum range over them.
otester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 01:46 PM   #17
Kapt. Q
Watch

Downloads: 38

Which MMP version are you running? There have been many improvements to balistics/damage throughout the series. MMP5 is available through a link at www.panzersim.forumotion.com and the latest version MMP7 should be available soon also.
Kapt. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 08:26 PM   #18
otester
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapt. Q View Post
Which MMP version are you running? There have been many improvements to balistics/damage throughout the series. MMP5 is available through a link at www.panzersim.forumotion.com and the latest version MMP7 should be available soon also.
MMP5, maybe v7 will fix it
Old 11-27-11, 12:49 PM   #19
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by otester View Post
Does it really take up to five 88mm shells to knock out a T-34 from the front?
Of course not! Tiger could knock out T-34 from almost 2 km firing from the frontal angles. T-34/85 had to come several times closer to be able to effectively fire at Tiger while T-34/76 gun was completely ineffective in that role.

However one can understand those tanks belong to very different categories (Tiger - heavy tank, T-34 - medium tank) and thus they are not comparable directly in any way: operational weight, armor protection, mobility, firepower, crew comfort. As a result T-34 is not capable of waging one-to-one combat with Tiger. I think on such one-to-one basis the closest T-34 equivalent in German arsenal was Pz IV tank.

Of course in reality T-34 fought Tigers but it was possible because of huge numerical superiority of Soviet tanks and propitious topographical features. In such environment masses of T-34s could outmaneuver and outflank Tigers and then fire at them from close ranges targeting much thinner side armor.

As for T-34 relative invulnerability in this game I think it is due to bad internal damage modeling. Note Tiger gun mainly fired APCBC rounds which exploded inside enemy tank (each such round had 0,06 kg of explosive filler) after penetrating its armor. Yet it can be some kind of developer's cheat to improve game balance...
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 01:34 PM   #20
otester
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
Of course not! Tiger could knock out T-34 from almost 2 km firing from the frontal angles. T-34/85 had to come several times closer to be able to effectively fire at Tiger while T-34/76 gun was completely ineffective in that role.

However one can understand those tanks belong to very different categories (Tiger - heavy tank, T-34 - medium tank) and thus they are not comparable directly in any way: operational weight, armor protection, mobility, firepower, crew comfort. As a result T-34 is not capable of waging one-to-one combat with Tiger. I think on such one-to-one basis the closest T-34 equivalent in German arsenal was Pz IV tank.

Of course in reality T-34 fought Tigers but it was possible because of huge numerical superiority of Soviet tanks and propitious topographical features. In such environment masses of T-34s could outmaneuver and outflank Tigers and then fire at them from close ranges targeting much thinner side armor.

As for T-34 relative invulnerability in this game I think it is due to bad internal damage modeling. Note Tiger gun mainly fired APCBC rounds which exploded inside enemy tank (each such round had 0,06 kg of explosive filler) after penetrating its armor. Yet it can be some kind of developer's cheat to improve game balance...
My comment was originally meant to be sarcastic, just related to the ingame "realism".

Be nice if the mod could add the APCBC effect in though.