SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-13, 12:52 PM   #1
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
SH3 Commander does NOT launch!

Hi! I've come up with a very frustrating problem. On the SH3 Commander main screen I click on Launch SH3! then it starts loading (applying changes, crew transfers etc.) but simply does not initialize the game itself I can still start the game by clicking on Silent Hunter III icon but this way SH3 Commander doesn't run.
As a Win7 user I have installed Commander OUTSIDE Program Files, checked the "Run as administrator" option but I haven't done a rollback after my previous patrol.
I use GWX 3.0 Gold and here's the other smaller mods I installed:
  • GWX Hardcode Fixes
  • Flags_enlighten
  • GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
  • GWX - Light Harbour Traffic
  • GWX - No Medals on Crew
  • WB's Mission Orders Lite v1.1
  • GWX - Integrated Orders
  • Clearer Map with Nomograph
  • Wooden Lifeboats Mod 1.1
  • Depth Charge Shake 2.01
  • WB's Patrol Orders (this one installed in SH3 Commander folder as instructed)
I'd be very grateful if someone could lend me a hand! Thank you in advance!
Old 03-03-13, 12:55 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Does it crash, or does it just sit there doing nothing? I've had times when SH3 has taken 10 minutes or more to fire up. This is especially true with a mod the size of GWX, which doubles the size of the game.

If it's just sitting there doing nothing, go make dinner. Given time, it should start up eventually.

[edit] I just reread your complaint. Check to see if Commander is properly pointed at SH3. It can't start the game if it thinks the game is somewhere else.
Old 03-03-13, 01:10 PM   #3
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the quick reply, Sailor Steve!
SH3 Commander points exactly where sh3.exe is located. By the way, I've just noticed if I launch SH3 by clicking on its own icon, there's no intro and the intro messages, which are part of WB's Patrol Orders mod, run at the bottom of the menu screens. So it looks as if Commander launches automatically when starting only SH3. Kinda' weird...
Old 03-03-13, 02:24 PM   #4
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

I've had that happen, SH3 commander goes through the motions of launching SH3 but, SH3 does not launch. When this does happen, if you go ahead and launch SH3 from its own icon, it works as if it was launched by SH3 commander right up until shutdown. SH3 will shutdown but, SH3 Commander is still running as a background process, and you have to kill it through the task manager. Then restart SH3 Commander to do the rollback. It is a pain but, it does work. I'm not sure how to fix it, as mine started working correctly again one day.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 03:36 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Hmm. I've never had that happen. I can only surmise that I've been lucky.

I do have Commander set for Auto-Rollback though.
Old 03-03-13, 08:30 PM   #6
HW3
Navy Seal

Quote:
I do have Commander set for Auto-Rollback though.
So do I. I'm guessing that because it failed to launch the game, it is failing to notice the game has been ended so, it does not rollback by itself, and must be shutdown by the task manager. So you must restart it and do the rollback. I'm guessing it might have something to do with running the program as administrator or not.

Old 03-04-13, 10:27 AM   #7
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the advice!
HW3 - I tried that you said but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem
After all if Commander runs in the background just as if had been launched, it's not a big problem since I can still manage my crew and create personnel files.
Sailor Steve - Earlier I set auto-rollback too but in this manner the sabotage/malfunction option were unique each time I exited, i.e. when I started a patrol my AT-Periscope had no zoom but after a loading it was perfect while my engines didn't function properly. Does the rollback really cancel the current sabotage/malfunction setting and generate a whole new state after each loading?
Old 03-04-13, 12:20 PM   #8
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

If you check the SH3 Commander user manual there's a setting which runs SH3 Commander but doesn't launch the game - useful when you're making SH3 Commander mods. It sounds like this is what is happening to your install. Maybe the manual will also tell you how to turn it off

Rollback deletes all changes to files that SH3 Commander has made and does indeed generate a whole new state after each loading.

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 02:13 PM   #9
TheDude107
Seaman

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreford-Brown View Post
If you check the SH3 Commander user manual there's a setting which runs SH3 Commander but doesn't launch the game - useful when you're making SH3 Commander mods. It sounds like this is what is happening to your install. Maybe the manual will also tell you how to turn it off

Rollback deletes all changes to files that SH3 Commander has made and does indeed generate a whole new state after each loading.
Do I need to be doing a rollback after closing SH3 commander, at the end of a patrol, or when switching careers?

The instructions say to do a rollback if you are going to disable/enable a mod.... but I'm just being paranoid and wondering if I need to do the same between careers? Had to do a re-install but I think that was because of re-installing/enabling mods without admin permissions(Did a rollback), and not because of switching careers.

Edit: I tried searching google but people seem split on if you need to be rolling back after patrols and general gameplay.
TheDude107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 11:59 PM   #10
HW3
Navy Seal

I have it do a rollback every time I quit the game. I do this just to be on the safe side because I sometimes do change a graphics only mod while on patrol, which BTW is safe to do.

Old 03-05-13, 03:04 AM   #11
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude107 View Post
Do I need to be doing a rollback after closing SH3 commander, at the end of a patrol, or when switching careers?

The instructions say to do a rollback if you are going to disable/enable a mod.... but I'm just being paranoid and wondering if I need to do the same between careers? Had to do a re-install but I think that was because of re-installing/enabling mods without admin permissions(Did a rollback), and not because of switching careers.

Edit: I tried searching google but people seem split on if you need to be rolling back after patrols and general gameplay.
I've got SH3 Commander set to auto-rollback. As I often work on SH3 Commander mods it means that I don't end up screwing my install as all files are automatically removed.

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, sh3 commander