SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-18, 11:14 AM   #1831
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccarthy View Post
The Wrong Stuff: The Adventures and Misadventures of an 8th Air Force Aviator by Truman Smith

I saw that on Amazon and was thinking about hitting the "buy" button.
Post a review after you've read it.

You might want to check out
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...north+ken+bell

Its a very honest view from a fighter pilot. Ken Bell retired as a Brig. Gen. and it took me a while to figure out that he had the book published after he died. The same guy who flew as Maj. Merle Dethlefsen's wingman when he won the CMH and also flew as Col. Jack Broughton's wingman over Hanoi also talks about getting a "Dear John" letter from home and getting rolled in Bangkok.

This isn't your typical "There I was at 20,000 feet.." book.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-18, 11:06 PM   #1832
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I saw that on Amazon and was thinking about hitting the "buy" button.
Post a review after you've read it.
Yeah, when I first saw this book on Amazon I passed on it, I think the title threw me off. I'm glad now that I've read it.

I can recommend this book as a good read. The author's definition of what 'The Wrong Stuff" means is not what you would assume and interesting. This book was once required reading at the Air Force Academy. It's a unique account of a B-17 Co-pilot and his crews experiences trying to survive their 25 missions over Europe.
Old 12-26-18, 11:09 PM   #1833
tmccarthy
Admiral

The Schweinfurt Regensburg Mission: The American Raids on 17 August 1943 by Martin Middlebrook

Old 12-28-18, 01:37 PM   #1834
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Just got this bad boy in the mail. It's a big 640 page hardcover filled with Russian planes which never made it off the drawing board. A quick browse through revealed plenty of 500 ton flying boats, nuclear powered bombers, and hypersonic spyplanes. Reads like an encyclopedia, but looks like it'll be fun to dip into from time to time.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 02:48 PM   #1835
Subnuts
The Old Man

Amazon isn't publishing the review I wrote of the Haynes Challenger 2 MBT "Workshop Manual," so here it is.

Quote:
In 2017, Haynes published a "workshop manual" for the M1 Abrams. Like many of their books on modern military vehicles, it was fairly well done but somewhat lacking in hard details. Although it still isn't quite as detailed as Haynes' WWII tank manuals, this follow-up on Britain's most powerful modern MBT is a more substantial and more well-rounded work. Lt Col Dick Taylor served in the Royal Armoured Corps and has written three other tank manuals for Haynes, and demonstrates an impressive understanding of the subject.

Although it follows the standard Haynes format, this book is definitely a bit wordier than the average "workshop manual." While there's still plenty of excellent diagrams and photographs, a substantial chunk of the text is devoted to the development of British MBTs in the second half of the Cold War, the introduction of the tank into service, and first-hand accounts from crewmembers who fought in the Iraq War. For once this doesn't feel like potted history; the level of detail in the historical sections is fairly substantial and added to my overall understanding of the tank's design. The technical sections are also fairly well done, with quite a few "how it works" bits (how to start the engine, how to engage an enemy tank, etc.), a photographic "walkthrough" of a tank's interior, and descriptions of each CR2 variant.

As the Challenger 2 is still in active service, the amount of technical detail is limited in certain places. Some elements, such as the ammunition and powerpack, are described in a fair amount of detail. Other areas, such as the armor and fire control system...no so much. Although there are numerous photos and diagrams of the turret interior, the driver's station only gets a single small unlabeled diagram. Thankfully there's very little in the way of jingoism present, and Mr. Taylor explains in evenhanded terms why Britain chose to design and build their own tank, rather than go with a foreign design such as the M1 or Leopard 2. He also avoids the trap of directly comparing it with other modern tanks on a one-on-one basis, and mentions some of the many problems encountered in the first years of service.

Although it lacks the brutal honesty of the author's Chieftain and Challenger 1 manuals, I think modern armor buffs should enjoy this book. It's a fairly substantial reference which manages to avoid reading like a Royal Army recruiting pamphlet.

Old 01-05-19, 11:06 AM   #1836
Bangoo
Seaman

Downloads: 47

Laughing Cow: The Story of U69.
Jost Metzler was was an extremly lucky guy.

Grey Wolf - U-Boat browser project.
Forum thread
info@uwolf.net
Bangoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 11:37 AM   #1837
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer
Nathaniel Fick

Been a while since I had time to read a book. Picked this one up and have not been able to put it down.
Old 01-07-19, 03:41 PM   #1838
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

LAUGHING SHALL I DIE
Quote:
explores the adventures and mind-set of these heroes and heroines, many of whom were actual historical figures who flourished during the Viking heyday of roughly A.D. 750 to 1100....They were also utterly dauntless, self-control being honored as the supreme virtue. When Ivan Morris produced his classic study of the Japanese conception of the hero, he titled it “The Nobility of Failure.” Vikings and samurai are much alike: A hero, stresses Shippey, “is defined not by victory but by defeat. Only in defeat can you show what you’re really made of. Only in final defeat can you show that you will never give in.” A true Viking goes down fighting while uttering a defiant wisecrack and never showing any emotion except contempt for his enemies. Prestige and “drengskapr” — honorable behavior — matter more than winning.
From this perspective, consider this book’s odd-sounding title. When Ragnar Hairy-Breeches — no one knows why he bears this weird nickname — is dumped into a snake pit, he composes a “death-song” that ends with the line “laejandi skalk deyja,” or “laughing shall I die.” Earlier in this poem he grimly jokes that “the piggies would grunt if they knew of the old boar’s death.” Ragnar, of course, is the old boar and the “piggies” are his sons. There in the pit, this fierce Viking — neither hoping for nor expecting rescue — uses this farmyard metaphor to tell his enemies that their days are numbered.
ALL OUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED; IF WE ARE IN THE IMAGE OF GOD.....GOD MUST BE A COMEDIAN!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 07:07 AM   #1839
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

"Flying the old planes" by Jack Tallman.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 03:35 PM   #1840
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Found this one on line peeked my interest and for $2 with $3 shipping from the USA i thought bargain.

some of you may recall this book some may even have it still but it seems good from flicking through the pages maybe even good for SH5 drivers

51wmJXwHyeL._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_ by B S, on Flickr

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-19, 07:44 AM   #1841
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

LORENZ - BREAKING HITLER'S TOP SECRET CODE AT BLETCHLEY PARK

By Captain Jerry Roberts

One of the original code breakers who worked on this from 42-45.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-19, 09:37 AM   #1842
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

An interesting read and not even two years of age yet.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-19, 12:38 PM   #1843
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
...peeked my interest...
Did your interest peek back?

It's "piqued".
Old 01-17-19, 03:04 PM   #1844
Subnuts
The Old Man

Amazon US has a number of Seaforth Kindle books on sale for $1.30 each, so I "grabbed" the following titles:

Fighting the Great War at Sea
Rebuilding the Royal Navy
Jutland: The Unfinished Battle
Schnellboote: A Complete Operational History

Old 01-22-19, 03:56 AM   #1845
tmccarthy
Admiral

In Hostile Skies: An American B-24 Pilot in World War II by James M. Davis

Tags