SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-16, 03:35 AM   #61
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmic View Post
Is it possible to make fix by polar star here?
It should be easiest way isn't?

Thanks for all your work, this is one of best mods ever
yup u can make a fix using the polaris ....
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 01:31 PM   #62
siege00
Officer

Downloads: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
yup u can make a fix using the polaris ....
Just to confirm Sjizzle, even shooting Polaris, you have to use the more in-depth method of getting your position via Altitudes and using Aries as a known?

Currently - SH5 TWoS
- SH3 GWX + MaGui and more
- SH3 LSH 2015 + Ahnenerbe's Gui
siege00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 04:19 PM   #63
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege00 View Post
Just to confirm Sjizzle, even shooting Polaris, you have to use the more in-depth method of getting your position via Altitudes and using Aries as a known?

For any point between the Equator and the North Pole, latitude is obtained simply by measuring the altitude of Polaris: at 30°N the star is 30° above the horizon, at 63°N, it is 63° above the horizon, and so on
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-16, 03:10 PM   #64
blkdimnd
Planesman

Downloads: 492
Default Longitude??

I'd like to learn how to use Celestial Navigation in game.
I've read the post here, but I get confused with finding my Longitude.

Anyone have another tutorial or more documentation? (Get get confused easily )
A video would be great too.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

AB1TA
blkdimnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 03:27 PM   #65
blkdimnd
Planesman

Downloads: 492
Icon14 New Calculation Spredsheet

Here's a link to a new calculation spreadsheet that incorporates the star/sun almanac to find GHA and LHA for Longitude calculations.

http://www.navigation-spreadsheets.com/

No need to use the Online Nautical Almanac to look up tables.

So far, looks like the spreadsheet only works in Excel, I couldn't get it to work in Google Sheets.
I haven't tried it in any other spreadsheet programs.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

AB1TA

Last edited by blkdimnd; 01-03-17 at 05:41 PM. Reason: More info.
blkdimnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 03:31 PM   #66
danadi712
Nub

Downloads: 194
Default almanac

Hello Sjizzle!
In first page i think you asked for an almanac.For all users here is a link.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=135215
In SH4 Nav Package you can find those almanacs.
But from what i see in your first almanac picture (calculate sun declination at 1939. sept. 01 12:00 PM) it is a little difference at GHA column.
Yours is 57.2 N 8 31.0.
In SH4 Nav Package is 57.0 N 8 31.0.
So is 0.2 difference.
Is this relevant?
danadi712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 09:47 AM   #67
gezahu
Mate

Downloads: 156

In the tutorial you are calculating (i mean adding and substracting) degrees and minutes just simply as decimals. You measured 42 degrees and 54 minutes not 42.54 degrees. 42 degree 54 minutes is 42.914 degrees not 42.54. This simulation is simply too simple (in celestial simulation) to incorporate such a complicated thing as celestial navigation. I have no idea how you come to right position it is either your or the softwarefault.

You could give the "illusion" of navigation by enabling sextant and you could read your position (lat/long) at the bottom and find it on the map.
gezahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 04:33 PM   #68
Japo32
Watch

Downloads: 78

Hello,

I have been trying to follow the steps here, but I have a main problem. I have Wolves of Steel mega mod and when I put the sextant I try to lineup with the horizont, but as you may know we have waves so it is almost imposible. All is moving up and down. So I guess the method to use it propertly is with a sextant that divides the horizont and the sun so you see both of them at the same wave movement and you can line them easier.
I saw in the 3rd page a mod that simulates that. A sextant by a user that didn't know to speak correctly english, but I am trying to find it without any success that sextant mod. Was ended? Can we use it instead the WoS mod?
If we have to use the WoS sextant, how you usually do to aboid the waves movement, or minimize?

Thanks!
Japo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 07:03 AM   #69
gezahu
Mate

Plus I dont see the bottom of the sun it is so bright...
Old 04-06-17, 11:31 AM   #70
gezahu
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo32 View Post
Hello,

I have been trying to follow the steps here, but I have a main problem. I have Wolves of Steel mega mod and when I put the sextant I try to lineup with the horizont, but as you may know we have waves so it is almost imposible. All is moving up and down. So I guess the method to use it propertly is with a sextant that divides the horizont and the sun so you see both of them at the same wave movement and you can line them easier.
I saw in the 3rd page a mod that simulates that. A sextant by a user that didn't know to speak correctly english, but I am trying to find it without any success that sextant mod. Was ended? Can we use it instead the WoS mod?
If we have to use the WoS sextant, how you usually do to aboid the waves movement, or minimize?

Thanks!
Well my 2 cents:
I enabled stabilize view in gameplaysettings.cfg in the savegames folder where you can individually enable disable things without "punishment". I dont think rocking binocular is any more "realistic" than a steady one as you compensate with your body the ship movement and can view things pretty stady on a rocking deck.

However I am very sceptic with this sextant thing because I do not believe that the coders took the pain of coding dead accurate celestial positions into the game.
Old 04-07-17, 04:00 AM   #71
Japo32
Watch

Yes.. the stars and sun positions and moon also are accurate. It would be nice to have the sextant that divide the image in 2 as was developed, but I think is missing in some time in the past.....
Old 04-07-17, 01:43 PM   #72
Japo32
Watch

going into documents SH5/data/GameplaySettings.cfg and changing the NoStabilizeView to False, doesn't change anything.. it continues waving up and down. Imposible to calculate a real altitude angle of the sun or any star....
Old 04-10-17, 03:51 AM   #73
gezahu
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo32 View Post
going into documents SH5/data/GameplaySettings.cfg and changing the NoStabilizeView to False, doesn't change anything.. it continues waving up and down. Imposible to calculate a real altitude angle of the sun or any star....
Not that. The cfg file you change is in mydocuments/*user*/SH5 or something... where the savegames are not the game.
Old 07-05-17, 02:46 PM   #74
gezahu
Mate

No matter what I cant make it work. My readings is off....
Old 07-11-18, 06:02 PM   #75
Sir Pappnase
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

In your 2nd tutorial, where comes the sextant minutes of 51 from? Ist it from the Altitude? that 5142?
The 40 you are refering to below, is that the calculated altitude° Hc in the excel file?
I downloaded the file aswell, but unfortunately it shows #WERT! (~#VALUE!) in the declination line

I also cant get the sextant up. do have have to press a button, once i point it on the horizon? I only can move it up and down like 20° I cant even measure the altitude.

Last edited by Sir Pappnase; 07-11-18 at 07:33 PM.
Sir Pappnase is offline   Reply With Quote