SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-18, 02:43 PM   #1
Aoogahman
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default A Bad Glitch Day?

I'm on my second career mission in SH4 Gold (1.5)-no-mods and have been patrolling the East China Sea (ECS) for what seems like FOREVER, and that's with time compression. So far I have sunk 5 merchants for a total of 35,778 tons. I'd like to take all the credit, but the the auto-targeting system might have helped a little bit. I'm learning...I'm learning.

There are four torpedoes left in the aft tubes and none forward. Seemed like a good time to head home, which I did, and am now sitting just outside the Pearly Gates sitting on the bridge drinking Gilly from a porcelain coffee cup.

The problem is that the mission is still incomplete. My first mission noted that the mission was completed while I was still in the patrol area. This second one hasn't done that. And I do realize you have to return all the way to the base to complete the mission, but this is somehow different, I think. Or maybe that's all I need to do??

Otherwise, is there anything I should be doing to complete this mission, or is it a glitch and it probably won't complete no matter what I do?

Is this Glitch Day or what? Now I can't get the the little smiley faces to work either. I just get a "".

I'm going drinking!
Old 08-10-18, 04:24 PM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Otherwise, is there anything I should be doing to complete this mission, or is it a glitch and it probably won't complete no matter what I do?
read through the sticky notes, there are lots of good things there.
As far as completing the mission, you don't have to.

Your "renown" is gained mostly from tonnage, with a few points for missions completed.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 08:06 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The main thing is the orders. They usually will state things OK, though in Stock, they can be ambiguous at best sometime. If they tell you to proceed to an area and receive further orders there, that will be a "Sink" mission, and it will sometimes have a tonnage listed and what type of ship to sink, such as Warship or Merchant. If they say to Patrol an area, see if they don't tell you how big of an area 100 nm is not unusual. If such is the case, they will usually tell you how many days or hours to do such. You should use the compass tool on the NavMap and draw yourself a circle no more than 50 nm in radius (100 nm diameter). Once you draw that, start zooming in on the center of the star and your circle, and again use that drawing compass tool to move your circle's center point to the center of the star. Once you travel to that area and enter your circle, don't leave it until the mission completes. Somewhere on the site, someone has a rather comprehensive post about completing all of the different Objectives - found it!
Beery - Guide: How to Complete a Mission

You could also ignore the 'ordered' Objective, so long as you come home with some prizes, which you have. Now, the game, for whatever reason, cannot tell when you've disobeyed a direct order. All it can see is if your renown points go up, or did they go down... I always play it like an order is an order, and that the Navy Department would not have given me said order, potentially putting me and my crew at risk of death, or worse - not forgetting the taxpayer's good money spent on the equipment entrusted to our care - just so that we could whistle Yankee Doodle Dandy in Empire Waters... We have a job to do!

Dontcha just love it?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 10:58 AM   #4
Aoogahman
Seaman

Thanks all for the feedback. Good stuff!

As I understand it, on the one hand I could at this point just dock at Pearl and be happy with the tonnage renown, or on the other I could go all the way back to the ECS, with four torpedoes in the aft tubes and motor around the patrol-area star for 48 hours just to see if I can get a mission completion. Hmmm...big decision.

The first option appeals to my common sense..."a bird in the hand..." The second option, though more patriotic, doesn't appeal to anything. I could possibly loose the boat, the crew, and my tonnage renown. I could also be overcome by boredom, nod off, and plant my face in the keyboard causing a game crash...? And, seeing as my orders were to "Patrol the East China Sea," which is what I did, the whole thing, from end to end, multiple times, I think I'll just dock at Pearl, chalk it up as a learning experience and get on with the rest of the perceived glitches I'm dealing with. Now slightly older and a bit wiser, hopefully.

I've just got to get rid of the duplicate "Yes Sirs". The first spoken in a normal voice and the second immediately shouted at the top or the guy's lungs. It's awful. I'd rather be pinged by sonar...
Old 08-13-18, 09:34 AM   #5
Aoogahman
Seaman

Quote:
read through the sticky notes, there are lots of good things there.
As far as completing the mission, you don't have to.

Your "renown" is gained mostly from tonnage, with a few points for missions completed.
I tried taking your much appreciated advice, but I couldn't dock (end the patrol) when I got back to Pearl. Not with the Escape Key and not from the popup screen which didn't show. I dug around and found this in the game instructions: "To end a patrol, you will have to reach your home base. When you’re close enough to the base, a pop-up screen will appear asking if you wish to dock. You do not have to travel the last nautical mile and dock in the submarine pen, though you are welcome to try." The mystery continues.......

So, I went back to the East China Sea and hung around the objective for 48 hours until the mission completed. Then back to Pearl, the popup screen popped up and I docked. Done! Final! Finished, Over, Completed, Wrapped!

But it leaves me with the unanswered question of how to continue on with your career missions and not end your patrols??? Forgive me, but I've worn out quite a few brain cells over the years and they don't seem to be regenerating.
Old 08-13-18, 09:42 AM   #6
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

I've never had that 'unable to end patrol' problem.
On your earlier tries, had you been on patrol for 30 days or more?
I've seen some comments on that, but don't know if a "too short" patrol is checked. Propbeanie, fireftr, got an answer?
Old 08-13-18, 09:49 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I'm running tests right now, and doing a patrol that round trip only takes just six days, and I have no problem docking to end the patrol, nor no issue with just doing a Re-Fit and going back out again (modded SH4 v1.5)... I do remember the old v1.x (1, 2, 3, or maybe all of them??) had an issue with "losing" the Home Port, which of course, is the base with the Slanted Anchor. You'd be out on patrol, and none of the bases would have slanted anchors. Now, Asiatic Fleet would have that issue from the bases being moved as the Japanese advance across the Southwest Pacific, and the game was a bit slow with that, but Pearl stays where it is the whole game, and yet it would lose the Home Port designation. You'd have to re-fit and drive around some, waiting on the game to decide when to give you your Home Port back. I do not recall what the issue was, but I'm thinking that at least v1.4 had it right - maybe...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 05:57 AM   #8
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Ah..yes.. I have had that happen to me in the Asiatic fleet. One time I almost didn't make it Freemantle once.