SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-19, 12:17 PM   #16
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaledges View Post
I understand what you're saying, the micromanagement seems to be a bit much, but I think that relating it to a generational age range is misinformed.
The reference was meant to be one of inexperience rather than a generational criticism. I should have chosen my words more carefully.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 12:26 PM   #17
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
The reference was meant to be one of inexperience rather than a generational criticism. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

I think the modelling of systems to me is the most interesting aspect of this game. Like you I am not interested in bailing water, but the thought of turning things off to conserve battery charge is an interesting take.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 12:32 PM   #18
nihilcat
UBOOT Dev

Downloads: 1

You seem to be making up things on the fly a bit @TDK1044. There isn't really any "cleaning" orders in the game. You also don't have to manage your officers most of the time, if you don't like to as they perform most tasks on their own. They don't know what is your overall plan though and their actions may sometimes be suboptimal when you take that into consideration, so it's definitely rewarding to at least sometimes jump in.

It's also worth to distinct things that you CAN do in the game with things that you HAVE to do. As a skipper you can do a lot and we tried to allow the player to micromanage his boat as much as he likes to, even choosing what will be on the dinner, if he has such wish.

I also don't think you are being fair by calling the game "arcade". Simulation-wise there is more or less everything in the game that was present in the stock Silent Hunter games (and more!). It's true that you CAN order your crew to perform some of the tasks that were forcefully manual in SH, but again - you don't HAVE to
nihilcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 02:23 PM   #19
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilcat View Post
You seem to be making up things on the fly a bit @TDK1044. There isn't really any "cleaning" orders in the game. You also don't have to manage your officers most of the time, if you don't like to as they perform most tasks on their own. They don't know what is your overall plan though and their actions may sometimes be suboptimal when you take that into consideration, so it's definitely rewarding to at least sometimes jump in.

It's also worth to distinct things that you CAN do in the game with things that you HAVE to do. As a skipper you can do a lot and we tried to allow the player to micromanage his boat as much as he likes to, even choosing what will be on the dinner, if he has such wish.

I also don't think you are being fair by calling the game "arcade". Simulation-wise there is more or less everything in the game that was present in the stock Silent Hunter games (and more!). It's true that you CAN order your crew to perform some of the tasks that were forcefully manual in SH, but again - you don't HAVE to
Thanks for the answer, nihilcat. I really hope that it sells well for you guys, and I know that many here will really enjoy it.
Old 04-17-19, 08:59 PM   #20
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
Thanks for the answer, nihilcat. I really hope that it sells well for you guys, and I know that many here will really enjoy it.
Can I make a counter suggestion? I too am not sure it’s the right type of game for me, however, it’s been almost a decade since a new Subsim game has been released and Ubisoft and the makers of Dangerous Waters have both given up their sequel plans.

We all know this is a niche sub genre in gaming.

We’re all in this community whether there is a new game looming or not.

My point, is that for the cost of a pizza you can support devs making these games, even if you don’t intend to play the game.

A lot of us in this community support Neal and this site, with nothing asked for in return.

Why don’t we honour and say thanks to the few devs in the world trying to keep this genre alive, rather than listing things we don’t like or want changed?

They made this; its their vision. At least until it’s fully released, let’s just buy a copy, even if we don’t play it, to show support and gratitude?

For most people here the price of entry is nothing, but it would mean the world to the greater sub community.

That’s what I intend to do, even if it’s not the game I thought it was going to be.
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-19, 04:58 AM   #21
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

I agree with you, and I contributed to the kickstarter account for Uboot, as it then was, when it first started a couple of years ago. I will watch its development with interest over the coming months.
Old 04-18-19, 05:28 AM   #22
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508
Default Agreed

I absolutely agree , I watched cold waters during development and bought it although in the end it was not the game for me as it was too far away from sh series (with mods), so I will buy this game as I think this is more my style and hopefully the Devs will take it from ea to full game. Even buying it will make me have to buy a new pc to run it. So I think that if I can still play sh3 nygm all these years on and sh5 twos I am hoping this game will keep me occupied for years to come, for me it address what sh series didn't, the crew management side of the U-boat and I think it's needed as just going out to sink ship's and avoiding being sunk yourself can get a bit stale over years. I also think that the streams I have seen are great but each one has used to for obvious reasons playing at real time for most of a patrol will be a different game all together. Can't wait.
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-19, 07:51 AM   #23
bsub
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

100% correct. There is very little interest in games that don't give immediate satisfaction. Sub sims require patience and a lot of thought if they are played realistically. So I am all I favor of supporting the few devs who want to give us these wonderful "games".
bsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-19, 12:52 PM   #24
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

I think that this small Dev team has done an awesome job, and I think that my concerns are easily fixable.......moddable, and to some degree subjective. I guess I'm looking for a common sense interaction with the crew, rather than micromanaging them, but nihilcat suggests that there is latitude here. So, let's have a glass half full approach and see how it goes
Old 04-19-19, 07:33 PM   #25
Pelle71
Watch

Downloads: 336

Of course i buy a copy, no question. But i hope i can buy a dvd version with a nice manual, and hope for a recognition manual also..
Pelle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-19, 06:21 PM   #26
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
Can I make a counter suggestion? I too am not sure it’s the right type of game for me, however, it’s been almost a decade since a new Subsim game has been released and Ubisoft and the makers of Dangerous Waters have both given up their sequel plans.

We all know this is a niche sub genre in gaming.

We’re all in this community whether there is a new game looming or not.

My point, is that for the cost of a pizza you can support devs making these games, even if you don’t intend to play the game.

A lot of us in this community support Neal and this site, with nothing asked for in return.

Why don’t we honour and say thanks to the few devs in the world trying to keep this genre alive, rather than listing things we don’t like or want changed?

They made this; its their vision. At least until it’s fully released, let’s just buy a copy, even if we don’t play it, to show support and gratitude?

For most people here the price of entry is nothing, but it would mean the world to the greater sub community.

That’s what I intend to do, even if it’s not the game I thought it was going to be.
Very, very well said sir!
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-19, 08:26 PM   #27
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaledges View Post
I understand what you're saying, the micromanagement seems to be a bit much, but I think that relating it to a generational age range is misinformed.
You would be mistaken. That "generation" of gamers has all but destroyed the industry, both working in it, and their purchase habits. Unless you enjoy buying a game they've ripped into four or five pieces they intend to sell you back later, Bull**** loot boxes, or Leftist Circle Jerk Messages placed throughout.

My generation is responsible for the destruction of many things, and I hate them for it more than older people do.
Old 04-21-19, 11:37 PM   #28
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
You would be mistaken. That "generation" of gamers has all but destroyed the industry, both working in it, and their purchase habits. Unless you enjoy buying a game they've ripped into four or five pieces they intend to sell you back later, Bull**** loot boxes, or Leftist Circle Jerk Messages placed throughout.

My generation is responsible for the destruction of many things, and I hate them for it more than older people do.
So what you’re saying is that previous generations of businesses wouldn’t of tried to make more profits utilizing dlc and loot boxes had the same technology been available then as it is today? Do you have any facts to support this? Are people only in the millennial generation buying dlc and loot boxes? Tell me again how I’m mistaken to think that it’s a stupid to make generalizations based on people’s age alone.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 02:32 AM   #29
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post

Loot boxes have been under heavy fire and looks like they may even be getting some publishers in to legal trouble for promoting gambling to the underage.
So that should get reigned in.

As for leftist circle jerk messages, I know what you mean, but i again i wouldn't blame the younger generation too much, yes, its tiresome that through media we often get brow beaten with preachy 'woke' progressive morality & values (ones that most cosmopolitan people more or less held already anyway since the 90's :P)
It comes from universities, politics,culture & gamergate (in that order) but its GenX and boomers that have been merrily shoveling it down millennial and GenZs throats for that past decade or two.
Companies are just doing what the free market does, and have in error thought that pushing this stuff is how to be 'down with the kids'
In reality, social justice (of the neo-marxist variety) sells about well as it get votes, not very well. and its already going out of fashion tbh.

Last edited by JU_88; 04-22-19 at 06:57 AM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 11:54 AM   #30
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

I've watched several of the game play videos on You Tube, and the game does have an arcade feel about it to me. I know that nihilcat doesn't like that term, but it feels more like that than a sim to me. Maybe it needs to be in order to sell more copies. A personal gripe of mine going back to Beta testing on the SH series, is that the ships attacked are ghost ships. I remember Dan from Ubisoft telling me that that was due to the rating that could be attached to the game. Eventually, SH did introduce some activity on the ships being attacked, and I hope that this game does too. I'll purchase Uboat to support the genre, but I'll wait a few months to see what the modders do with it, before playing it.

Last edited by TDK1044; 04-22-19 at 12:04 PM.