SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-08, 08:02 PM   #1081
Darksun
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Ok, this is odd. I just loaded the same game, same patrol back up. I get sonar lines now.

So it looks like everything is working as designed.

Thanks for taking and interest. I will let you know if it goes away again. Maybe Bernard was at the sonar station yesterday?
Old 09-15-08, 08:08 PM   #1082
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksun
Maybe Bernard was at the sonar station yesterday?
Probably!
Old 09-18-08, 09:11 PM   #1083
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default Minor Updates Available for Download

http://files.filefront.com/Minor+Upd.../fileinfo.html

From the README...
Quote:
OLC Ubermod 2.4.2 - Minor Updates (19th September 2008)

This pack includes a bugfix and some optional updates for OLC Ubermod 2.4.2 users. The bugfix corrects a typo on the compass (seen in the lower-left corner of the screen) in OLC GUI Special. The typo is on bearing 205, which erroneously reads 025. If you use OLC GUI Special then you should disable it in JSGME and then replace the file
MODS\OLC GUI Special\data\menu\OLC\Compass.tga
with the new Compass.tga included in this pack. Once the file is replaced you can re-enable OLC GUI Special in JSGME. The bearing will then display correctly.

This pack includes a new (optional) scene.dat for OLCE2. The new file slightly changes the graphical appearance of the water. The appearance of geometric squares is greatly reduced and the water looks much better, but the reflections of ships and submarines may look worse up-close and/or in very calm weather (obviously this won't be a problem for you if you use one of the OLCE2 - Remove All Object Reflection mods, and even if you don't you may decide that the new reflections look better anyway, depending on your taste). I recommend you give the new file a try, but backup your current OLCE2 scene.dat just in case you decide to go back to it. To install the new file first disable OLCE2 in JSGME. Then replace the file
MODS\OLCE2\data\scene.dat
with the new scene.dat in this pack, and finally re-enable OLCE2 in JSGME.

This pack also includes a new (optional) Cameras.dat for OLC GUI Special. It changes all the non-zoom views (e.g. command room, bridge, etc.) to have 45° viewing angles, for a more immersive gameplay experience. The zoomed cameras (UZO/binoculars/periscopes) remain unchanged. To install it, disable OLC GUI Special in JSGME and then replace the file
MODS\OLC GUI Special\data\Library\Cameras.dat
with the new Cameras.dat file in this pack. You can then re-enable OLC GUI Special.

Finally, this pack includes a new mod called GWX – No Medals or Ranks on Crew which can be installed in the usual way and is pretty self-explanatory. I recommend using this mod instead of the GWX – No Medals on Crew mod.
Enjoy!
OLC
Old 09-19-08, 04:42 AM   #1084
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

hi OLC,

waves look better now. thanks. I made a lot of tests the last day with OLCE2 and GWX-16km and I found out, that with OLCE2 the destroyer watchmen (in 1941) at dark nights are not nearly blind - they are totally blind and must be drunk, because I trurned circles around the destroyer with distances smaller than 200m. nothing. the visibility-indicator (which I turned on for testing purposes) was always green. I had to wake them up with the flak. with GWX16km live is much harder.

for me, something between OLCE2 and GWX16km would be nice and I think about doing it myself, but I think editing scene.dat and env- and sky-colours is not easy. for me it would be enough to reduce night light and visibility a little bit for GWX 16km. but after looking into scene.dat with S3D, I fear, that it is not only one parameter to change. so I have to ask you: is there an easy way (for a beginner like me) to reduce night light a little bit.......

where did you get your knowledge and experience from? by testing and trying????? or is it your profession?

have a nice day, and thanks again......
h.Sie
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 04:52 AM   #1085
Cezbor
中国水兵

Downloads: 16

Update pack downloaded, thank you OLC
Old 09-19-08, 04:52 AM   #1086
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie
I made a lot of tests the last day with OLCE2 and GWX-16km and I found out, that with OLCE2 the destroyer watchmen (in 1941) at dark nights are not nearly blind - they are totally blind and must be drunk, because I trurned circles around the destroyer with distances smaller than 200m. nothing. the visibility-indicator (which I turned on for testing purposes) was always green. I had to wake them up with the flak. with GWX16km live is much harder.
Were these tests carried out using single missions or a campaign? And were they carried out on a single convoy (reload same save over and over) or different convoys?

In a campaign I assure you some 1941 destroyers will spot you. Others will not.

Quote:
for me, something between OLCE2 and GWX16km would be nice and I think about doing it myself, but I think editing scene.dat and env- and sky-colours is not easy.
I think you need to carry out some more tests before you draw such conclusions.

Quote:
where did you get your knowledge and experience from? by testing and trying????? or is it your profession?
I'm a programmer by profession (for 10 years) but I had to do lots of trial and error and lots of testing to work out how things work in SH3. It took a long time.

Do some more 1941 tests in campaign mode and I assure you, you will be spotted by some of the DDs.
Old 09-19-08, 05:02 AM   #1087
h.sie
Admiral

OLC: Were these tests carried out using single missions or a campaign? And were they carried out on a single convoy or different convoys?

H.Sie: I made a single test-mission with mission editor, only my VIIB boat and a C&DClass Destroyer at 0h00 midnight.

OLC: In a campaign I assure you some 1941 destroyers will spot you. Others will not.

H.Sie: ok, good to know. i will try that. perhaps my test mission was unrealistic somehow....
Old 09-19-08, 05:46 AM   #1088
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
I made a single test-mission with mission editor, only my VIIB boat and a C&DClass Destroyer at 0h00 midnight.
What was the crew veterancy of the destroyer? That's what makes the difference between being spotted and not. See the OLCU Players Guide for more info.
Old 09-19-08, 06:45 AM   #1089
h.sie
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
I made a single test-mission with mission editor, only my VIIB boat and a C&DClass Destroyer at 0h00 midnight.
What was the crew veterancy of the destroyer? That's what makes the difference between being spotted and not. See the OLCU Players Guide for more info.
they were veteran. but they did not see me with GWX-16km, too, until i was 500m near. i think, there ist something wrong with my testmisson.
Old 09-19-08, 06:53 AM   #1090
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
they were veteran. but they did not see me with GWX-16km, too, until i was 500m near. i think, there ist something wrong with my testmisson.
That does sound strange!
When testing I had to test in campaign mode because, for some reason, single mission ships seemed much more blind. I thought they must have had low veterancy but maybe it's something else. *shrug*

Edit1: care to do the same test in an IXB?
Edit2: also, what were the weather conditions?

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 09-19-08 at 09:08 AM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 10:01 AM   #1091
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Nevermind. For my own satisfaction I just ran a quick test (on a single mission - no time for a campaign test at this moment) using a VIIB. Then I ran the same test again using an IXB. In both tests I was spotted at the exact same time/distance (1400m, but the night was not fully dark). This was a slight surprise cos I was expecting the IXB to be spotted slightly sooner... maybe luck was a factor there...

Anyway I wanted to point out that IRL, surfaced U-boats frequently came within 1000 yards of the ships they were attacking - without being spotted. I wouldn't go as far as to claim that night-time spotting in GWX+OLCE2 is "realistic" but I'd say it's not too far off.

Moving on, to answer your question...

There are two environmental light nodes which affect visual sensors. They are called sun light and ambient light. There's also a third environmental light source called sun reflect but it has no effect on sensors in SH3 (and anyway that one is zero at all times in OLCE2, for other reasons).

In scene.dat each of these light sources has an intensity (in the range 0..1) and in env_colors.dat each has an RGB colour (0..255,0..255,0..255) for each time of day (0..6, with 0 being noon and 6 being night... or it might be 5, I can't remember exactly).

Lets say that
Si = sun light intensity
Sr = sun light colour red channel
Sg = sun light colour green channel
Sb = sun light colour blue channel
Ai = ambient light intensity
Ar = ambient colour red channel
Ag = ambient colour green channel
Ab = ambient colour blue channel

As far as the visual sensors are concerned, the "colour" (brightness) of a ship or sub is

red = MIN(255, Ai.Ar+Si.Sr)
green = MIN(255, Ai.Ag+Si.Sg)
blue = MIN(255, Ai.Ab+Si.Sb)

This is assuming that sunlight multiplication (in envcolor.dat) is 1. Higher values of sunlight multiplication may or may not affect sensors - I never tested it because in OLCE2 the multiplication is always 1 except at noon, when the brightness of all objects is anyway already maxed out at 255,255,255.

An object is most visible when it's brightness is 255,255,255 and least visible when it is 0,0,0.

So if you want to change the night brightness levels, that's one way to do it.

Another way to alter spotting distances is to start messing around in sensors.cfg and sensors.dat, but the former proved too complex for me so my advice is to steer well clear of it (given that you asked for a "quick" fix) so as to avoid accidentally breaking things.

HTH
OLC
Old 09-19-08, 01:32 PM   #1092
h.sie
Admiral

hello OLC,

thank you very much for your detailed answer and I am sorry to tell you, that I will not need it, because now i am fully satisfied with OLCE2.

in the morning I made a test mission (only 1 destroyer and me) in which the destroyer never attacked me, even if the distance was smaller than 200m. they seem to sleep and I thought, OLCE2 was the reason for that.

now i found the true reason: in my test mission I created a CONVOY by adding two merchants, with the destroyer as the group leader. now i saw a totally different behavior! the destroyer saw and attacked me. perhaps, a single destroyer without convoy is programmed to be passive or sleeping??

i ran the mission several times under exactly the same conditions with GWX16km and OLCE2 in order to see, if there is a significant difference. and i wrote down:

a) my distance from the destroyer, when the visibility indicator turned red for the first time and

b) the distance, when the destroyer began to attack me

here the results (average values from 10 test runs):

GWX16km: a) = 2600m and b) = 1900m
OLCE2: a) = 1400m and b) = 800m

(1940 / midnight / calm sea / several weather conditions = medium)

that is exactly what I wanted to see. and old pedant is fully satisfied now and is finally ready to play after months of testing mods and making minor mods by himself......i am tired now and instead of editing the scene.dat, i will start my first career.......

one last word: I put my test mission into the naval academy folder, because from there loading times are much shorter than with normal missions. so intensive testing is no problem.....perhaps you didn't know that?

have a good evening.....
h.sie
Old 09-19-08, 01:38 PM   #1093
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
hello OLC,

thank you very much for your detailed answer and I am sorry to tell you, that I will not need it, because now i am fully satisfied with OLCE2.

in the morning I made a test mission (only 1 destroyer and me) in which the destroyer never attacked me, even if the distance was smaller than 200m. they seem to sleep and I thought, OLCE2 was the reason for that.

now i found the true reason: in my test mission I created a CONVOY by adding two merchants, with the destroyer as the group leader. now i saw a totally different behavior! the destroyer saw and attacked me. perhaps, a single destroyer without convoy is programmed to be passive or sleeping??

i ran the mission several times under exactly the same conditions with GWX16km and OLCE2 in order to see, if there is a significant difference. and i wrote down:

a) my distance from the destroyer, when the visibility indicator turned red for the first time and

b) the distance, when the destroyer began to attack me

here the results (average values from 10 test runs):

GWX16km: a) = 2600m and b) = 1900m
OLCE2: a) = 1400m and b) = 800m

(1940 / midnight / calm sea / several weather conditions = medium)

that is exactly what I wanted to see. and old pedant is fully satisfied now and is finally ready to play after months of testing mods and making minor mods by himself......i am tired now and instead of editing the scene.dat, i will start my first career.......
I'm glad that's sorted
Have fun
Old 09-19-08, 03:47 PM   #1094
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

OLC, maybe you should mention how to install the updated compass.tga in the OLC Gui thread too.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 03:53 PM   #1095
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces
OLC, maybe you should mention how to install the updated compass.tga in the OLC Gui thread too.
Good point, thanks.