SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-17, 10:50 AM   #2446
mkiii
Soundman

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

Got a strange problem with the editor, imported the deck with extra subsets
(did not know I could do that) and it works fine, it verifies ok no broken chains etc. save the .gr2 file, it writes successfully. it loads in granny viewer fine, it loads in game fine, so back to the editor to carry on with the work, does not work, reports primary vertex errors in section 0, or 1, even if I combine all the parts in max and export as a single .obj it still fails the reload,
without the deck it re-loads in the editor all the time. so for the time being I will just load the deck last of all and keep my fingers crossed.
just a few bones in the hull to move, and the torp doors to sort out and the hull work is done. still waiting for permission to use the models for sh5, so it may be all just a learning curve anyway.
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 06:29 AM   #2447
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
Got a strange problem with the editor, imported the deck with extra subsets
(did not know I could do that)...
I am not sure I am following you here... In GR2 Editor's terminology, a subset is a portion of a 3D object using a certain material. The editor lets you to import objects with as many subsets as you want

Quote:
....and it works fine, it verifies ok no broken chains etc. save the .gr2 file, it writes successfully. it loads in granny viewer fine, it loads in game fine, so back to the editor to carry on with the work, does not work, reports primary vertex errors in section 0, or 1...
I know what you mean. Sometimes the editor is even more strict than the game itself in deciding what is a broken file and what not.
Have you tried adding all the needed subsets manually, before you import the new mesh?
Have you tried loading the 'broken' file in some of the older versions of the Editor. They are often more tolerant that the latest versions, and they open a widest range of gr2 files, even the ones not supported or discarded as broken by the last version.

Quote:
...even if I combine all the parts in max and export as a single .obj it still fails the reload.
without the deck it re-loads in the editor all the time.
This is where I get lost: subsets are by definition part of the same object/mesh. It makes me think that you are actuallu talking about separate meshes. If that's the case, try importing the new meshes one by one, until you find the one that makes the file broken for GR2E

Quote:
so for the time being I will just load the deck last of all and keep my fingers crossed.
just a few bones in the hull to move, and the torp doors to sort out and the hull work is done. still waiting for permission to use the models for sh5, so it may be all just a learning curve anyway.
Sounds promising. I really hope that you will sort all the problems, get permissions and release your work
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 06:50 AM   #2448
mkiii
Soundman

thanks Gap, clears up a few things, seems that what I think something means, actually means something else.
Its all a learning experience, trouble is I don`t learn as quickly as I used to.
Old 10-07-17, 08:27 AM   #2449
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
thanks Gap, clears up a few things, seems that what I think something means, actually means something else.
Its all a learning experience, trouble is I don`t learn as quickly as I used to.
Well, terminology is just a matter of conventions, and despite your complaints I think you are learning quite quickly.
Keep me informed if you make any progress with the vertex error.
As I said, it is possible that GR2E doesn't like some of the meshes you are inporting. Import ing them one by one could help us to narrow down and hopefully iron out the problem.
Old 10-08-17, 03:58 PM   #2450
mkiii
Soundman

well I finally got the deck in,
Old 10-08-17, 04:03 PM   #2451
mkiii
Soundman

well I finally got the deck in, and Alex kindly gave permission for me to use their models, So I guess I will have to move on to a work in progress thread
now
Old 10-09-17, 05:34 AM   #2452
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:

well I finally got the deck in, and Alex kindly gave permission for me to use their models, So I guess I will have to move on to a work in progress thread
now
Wow mkii, this looks awesome indeed!

Is it really possible that we'll get finally playable type IX after all these years?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 08:40 AM   #2453
mkiii
Soundman

I would say a cautious yes to that, there are a few hurdles yet, but nothing really major, (he said with an overconfident smile).
It`s just making things do what I want them to do. Like the Deck problem, it turns out that I was doing it right as far as adding the subsets was concerned, but you have to save the file and then reload after each additional subset. put 2 subsets in at once, the file saves but throws an error on reload.
so I now save\reload after doing anything at all. I have 30 copies of the file now, its slow going and tedious but it makes backtracking a hell of a lot easier.
The hull will be done this evening, then I have to look at the fx.gr2 for it, all the bow waves and side water etc are in there, there are 185 bones, i will have to move an awful lot of them,
It will be worth it in the end, the detail in the models is a credit to Wise and Kovall, as soon as I saw them I thought I just have to have them in sh5.
ps
If it all goes well I will be porting their IXc40, with the narrow quick diving hull as well. that model really is awesome.

Last edited by mkiii; 10-09-17 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 08:28 AM   #2454
OldCoder
Soundman

Downloads: 24

Hi guys, I didn't think new playable subs were possible with SH5 without granny editor. Is this false understanding?
OldCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 09:30 AM   #2455
mkiii
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoder View Post
Hi guys, I didn't think new playable subs were possible with SH5 without granny editor. Is this false understanding?
using TDW GR2 Editor, it seems to be possible, its working up to now, it loads into a test mission just fine, still a lot of work to do yet, and something could still go wrong,
Old 10-10-17, 10:11 AM   #2456
OldCoder
Soundman

Downloads: 24

Very good and best of luck.
OldCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 04:17 PM   #2457
Kromus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 135

@mkiii: Mate, type IX is what I've been waiting for few years to happen in SH5. The day you succeed adding working Type IX with everything (interior could be done later) to a detail like deck splashes plus someone makes it working in campaign, will be my best day in SH5 since was released... I was really hoping for some official Type IX DLC/datadisc, but we all know how things ended.

Thank you for all your effort, good luck!
Kromus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 11:42 AM   #2458
gap
Navy Seal

That's a big progress mkiii

Since you are thinking about converting your small learning project into an official WIP thread, I recommend you not to forget adding specular, normal and ambient occlusion maps to your model, as those are some of the features that make SHV objects to look more real and lively than SHIII ones. I don't know how good you are at 3D modelling and at 2D art painting, but should you need any missing any missing model and/or texture, I will be glad to help you with them, compatibly with my RL duties and with my other modding commitments.

Talking about interiors (I know it is still a bit too early to talk about them, but better to be early tha late), HanSolo78 has recently releases v 5.0 of War Ace Campaign which includes full interiors of the following u-boats:

type II by Mikhayl & Tomi_99
type IX by HanSolo78, Flakmonkey & Ubi

You could ask the authors for permissions to inlude their work into your mods. I don't think they would deny it
Old 10-12-17, 01:45 PM   #2459
mkiii
Soundman

have got AO maps GAP, not got specular maps, but will look in to whats involved, can only use the fixed function pipeline in the editor, so it does look flat, if I try the programmable shaders its just black, been thinking along those lines for the interiors myself, would save a lot of time,
I will probably have questions for you, there will surely be things I cannot figure out myself, especially on the graphics side of things.
Old 10-12-17, 04:35 PM   #2460
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
have got AO maps GAP, not got specular maps, but will look in to whats involved
For the most commons uses, specular and normal maps are mapped on the same UV channel as the diffuse texture, so it is easy adding them at later stage. The one precaution that you should take, is choosing a base file where you will import the new meshes that has extended data for those types of map already in it. In theory, the latest versions of GR2 Editor can add those missing strings to any file, but in my experience that feature doesn't work too well, and if you try adding a map of a certain type to a file that missed that type, ore often than else you will end with a corrupted file. Anyway, if you choose to use the GR2 file of another playable sub as base for your work, you shouldn't have such a problem as it already has all the possible map definitions.

Talking about ambient occlusion maps, I think you know it already, for their nature they need a non overlapping UV unwarpping, and they are usually mapped on a secondary UV channel. You import these UV coordinates together with main vertex coordinates and the primary UV channel, but you must be careful: any mismatch in the order of vertex/edge/polygon coordinates of the models where the primary and the secondary UV channels are stored, and the imported UV coordinates will be corrupt

Quote:
can only use the fixed function pipeline in the editor, so it does look flat, if I try the programmable shaders its just black
Yep I know, but even so, you should still be able to preview diffuse and AO maps. For other type of maps and for previewing the effect of different material attributes, the quickest method is loading the model in Goblin.

Quote:
been thinking along those lines for the interiors myself, would save a lot of time,

Quote:
I will probably have questions for you, there will surely be things I cannot figure out myself, especially on the graphics side of things.
Feel free to ask. I will be glad to answer your questions as much as I can