SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-08, 05:57 PM   #1
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8
Default I can finally play SH4

Alright, so I got my SH4 Gold Edition disk. All nice and patched up to 1.5 and finally FINALLY, I can play SH4 (now that I don't have to do battle with the PK and lack of TDC input on the attack map).

So I get to play in a new theater now, 1943 off the cost of Australia in a IX D2. That's kinda nice.

Just wondering about... :hmm:

1) What 1.5 compat mods are worth installing? ...or are they a must have?

2) Who's working on the Atlantic Theater and Type VII mods? ...or at least a Drumbeat tour in a type IX.

(on a side note, anyone know if the SH5 rumor is just total vaporware?)
Old 11-24-08, 06:46 PM   #2
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 0

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134922
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 07:03 PM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood
Alright, so I got my SH4 Gold Edition disk. All nice and patched up to 1.5 and finally FINALLY, I can play SH4 (now that I don't have to do battle with the PK and lack of TDC input on the attack map).

So I get to play in a new theater now, 1943 off the cost of Australia in a IX D2. That's kinda nice.

Just wondering about... :hmm:

1) What 1.5 compat mods are worth installing? ...or are they a must have?

2) Who's working on the Atlantic Theater and Type VII mods? ...or at least a Drumbeat tour in a type IX.

Vaporware !!! :rotfl: The best name for the rumor I've heard yet. :rotfl:

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???

Last edited by FIREWALL; 11-24-08 at 07:04 PM.
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 07:30 PM   #4
richardphat
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 17

Gratz im happy that you can play SH4............ now now....... i hope to have enough money to build a good pc to play it!
richardphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 02:47 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

My PC won't run it either. I'm waiting for an upgrade. But then, I'm waiting for a lot of things.

Quote:
GWX4 is in the works, but it will be quite some time before it's ready. In the meantime, as suggested, try Monsun. There are other Atlantic mods, but of course I'm in no position to judge them. Check the Mods forum.

Quote:
I got to talk to the dev team rep for four days, and I can verify that SH5 is definitely more than a rumor. How much more, I have no idea. Basically Dan said "There will be an SH5."

That's it. Everybody's busy speculating what it might involve, or begging for their favorite wish to come through. I'm in an authoritative position to say "Firewall is right! Vaporware is a great word!"
Old 12-14-08, 09:07 AM   #6
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126
Default Waiting

I'm with you Steve, I'm waiting. I thought if I gave SH4 a few months it would be enough time to patch up and mod to playable. Now it looks like all I have to do is buy the gold edition. My computer specs should handle it.

I've enjoyed SH3 tremendously and wonder if I should just mod up to GWX with it. However I would like to command an American sub for awhile but wonder if SH4 1.5 is going to be stable enough. Is it worth it if my computer is up to the task?
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 08:40 PM   #7
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

For me the lack of other types of German subs is a little disappointing... Even if it didn't fit in with the Pacific, it would've been nice to give the modders the models to play with at least.

Gold edition is worth it, but overall SH4 is just not as good (control layout) as SH3 was. I hope in the next version they go back to some of the things that just worked better in SH3.

Also, I need to put my request in for the devs to allow those search pattern plots to be read at runtime. That way I could use MoBo to plot attack courses and import them into the game! ...the way it is now they just load at startup and I can't change them during gameplay.
Old 12-16-08, 04:07 PM   #8
Harmsway!
XO

Quote:
F

Gold edition is worth it, but overall SH4 is just not as good (control layout) as SH3 was. I hope in the next version they go back to some of the things that just worked better in SH3.
I love the control layout in SH3. What has changed?
Old 12-16-08, 08:48 PM   #9
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Related to the horizontal positioning of SH4 controls vs the vertical SH3 layout...

1) I don't see it as any sort of gameplay improvement, and was basically a change for the sake of changing in my opinion (I hate those types of changes). Additionally, some of the icons are the same and can be confusing. There's an arrow for instance that appears on different tabs that means different things. I preferred clicking on the officer icons.

2) If anything, there's a better argument for vertical control placement given the proliferation of widescreen monitors! In a perfect world you could just dock the things where they suit you.

The map drawing tool icons are just plain irritating. The nice clean SH3 drawing tool interface is far superior. Thankfully, I believe there's a mod out there that puts those back, I haven't installed it for 1.5 yet, so not sure if it's still working or available.

Biggest dissappointment in my opinion, when compared to SH3, is the lack of adjustable TDC (or position keeper) dial inputs on the Attack Map for the US fleetboats! To me that is just inexcusable... thankfully, at least the 1.5 addon (or Gold Edition) includes the SH3 TDC dials on the attack map when your driving the German boats.

If you never got into manual targetting or playing with the TDC in SH3 it won't bother you too much.

Last edited by XLjedi; 12-16-08 at 08:50 PM.
XLjedi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 12:02 PM   #10
Harmsway!
XO

Trouble is I was into manual TDC in SH3 extensively. Oh well.