SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-17, 04:49 PM   #1
DaveR
A-ganger

Downloads: 190
Uploads: 0
Icon9 cannot comply

so I have this bug(?)... returned on the 15th aug44 and received a new paint job. then ran into the 'cannot reply' at start of mission. based on what I read, I went back to a previous save and waited couple days. didn't change. thought maybe need major delay into sept. On the way back to base, got several radio messages of convoys back where I patrolled; (this also always seems to happen: returning to base and suddenly I would get several messages of one kind or another). so, instead, I refitted; (here got another oddity: couldn't load tube 7 and during extended trip, couldn't reload it ever). went back to patrol area and found those convoys. returned on sept 2nd. got the paint job, and then, got Philippines' briefing. started mission and got: 'cannot comply'. is there something else to do?
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 09:21 PM   #2
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

The most common cause is leaving the crew at battle stations.
Old 08-05-17, 12:40 PM   #3
DaveR
A-ganger

yep, read that, nope, not at battle stations......
Old 08-05-17, 03:09 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Are you running any mods? Which version of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific do you have, and where did you purchase it?

First thing to check is your crew screen, and see if everyone has a little green bar next to their box, showing good health, especially for the engine room guys, but also the control room. Are all of your positions properly staffed? If you're missing people from the important locations (Repair Crew can stay empty), you'll have to fill the vacancies before going out. You can also try and see if they can comply with a Reverse Speed request, or a rudder change. Also, look in the upper right corner of your screen, and make sure you aren't at battle stations. Had you done any <Alt><Tab> moves, or the <Windows> key to get to the desktop while in-game? That can cause issues. If you haven't left port yet, exit the game (don't save) and re-boot the computer. See what happens.

Dates and upgrade packs can cause issues, but that's usually if you arrive about the time a calendar month that has 30 days (or 28) would end prior to your departure. August 15th, you should have been fine... But, just to let you know, the game has September 31, June 31, February 29, etc., peppered throughout, and that does cause issues under certain circumstances. You might try to reload that last save you have again, only stay out a few weeks longer and don't come back until November 1, 1944. If you want to try doing a Status Report, you might get an assignment that could help pass the time. Just do a quick re-fit at a different base somewhere and see what you get. Do another save under a different name before you try to re-fit, just in case...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 03:21 PM   #5
Schnee
Engineer

Downloads: 2

So you are getting hit with this too? Its driving me crazy and have ensured Crew status ok, adequate crew in sub (and engine room) tries starting from Pearl as well as the Phillipines and still "Cannot comply"

But when i jump over to the German side, I set a plot , set the speed and BANG! My mission begins.

There must be something basic I am missing 'cause I never had this problem when I first installed this on my lap top. Its basic SH 4 -- no modes
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 08:36 PM   #6
DaveR
A-ganger

I tried unloading several modes and it started working. I then started putting them back, all though, not in the same order. got them all back in and it is still working. other oddities: before, lost external gun; now was able to update to 5 inch and two 40s'. before, lost crew slots; now, gained crew slots. before, (actually last couple patrols), was carrying several mark 27; now, they are not offered.

schnee: may you should try loading a mode, seeing if it behaves; then removing it??
Old 08-06-17, 09:10 PM   #7
propbeanie

That kinda confirms, DaveR... what mods do you have, and what is your new order of activation?...

Old 08-07-17, 12:18 AM   #8
Schnee
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
I tried unloading several modes and it started working. I then started putting them back, all though, not in the same order. got them all back in and it is still working. other oddities: before, lost external gun; now was able to update to 5 inch and two 40s'. before, lost crew slots; now, gained crew slots. before, (actually last couple patrols), was carrying several mark 27; now, they are not offered.

schnee: may you should try loading a mode, seeing if it behaves; then removing it??

Can uou make a suggestion as to what mod I should try -- to minimize time wating?
Old 08-08-17, 11:02 AM   #9
DaveR
A-ganger

RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
SonarTargetFix2_RFB
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Magnified Hud Dials for v1.5_Medium
RCM Imperial RFB1.52
410 Rockin Robbins EZ Plot V2.0
Webster's Better Air Patrols for v1.4 and v1.5
Webster's New sonar view for v1.4 & v1.5
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton for v1.4 and v1.5
PerfectTorpedoesV1

schnee: not sure it will really work, but worth a try: try a Webster or sonar mod, anything but a major mod. (rfb tmo rsrdc ect...)

I removed Mag-hud mods on down, then put them back. don't remember order, (didn't think it would make a difference); but think 410 R-R was first. (note: Webster's plankton isn't working. just noticed two sonars, there are some destroyers 'I' can't hear (and, turns out, neither can Mark27s).

Radar: get strong contacts at long range, then they get weaker as range falls. that is backwards. large targets should show up first, then smaller targets and then pip should get larger as range falls.
Old 08-08-17, 03:44 PM   #10
propbeanie

You might have mod soup there. We'd have to have an expert give us their verdict, but I'd back them off one by one, until you are able to move your boat. Test between each deactivation. Leave that last out, but you could then try to add the others back in, one by one and see if they let you still move the boat. I'm not sure how far up your list you'll have to go, but certainly not above the "Magnified Hud Dials for v1.5_Medium", since the others are well-known to work well together. I take that back... I'm not familiar with the "SonarTargetFix2_RFB" mod... been too long since I did RFB...

Old 08-09-17, 11:04 AM   #11
DaveR
A-ganger

"... and it is still working. "

there are several 'oddities', but it is still playable. I am mostly trying out different mods and expected 'problems'.
Old 08-09-17, 04:00 PM   #12
propbeanie

Well, as I mentioned to Schnee over in his thread, the "Save" folder can cause you all sorts of issues. If you're just experimenting between mods, I'd delete the My Documents \ SH4 \ Data folder, from Data on down, between each mod install, until you get things set. You have to re-set the video and a few other things each time, but you know that there's nothing left over from before...

Old 08-13-17, 07:50 AM   #13
Schnee
Engineer

I thought I deleted the Save folder but no luck -- still get the Cannot Comply message. I'll go back and make sure I delete MyDocuments|SH4\Data om down and see if that has an effect
Old 09-16-17, 08:01 PM   #14
Schnee
Engineer

I figure what I'll do is set up the German side and play the entire Campaign or a big chunk of it and then go back the US side and see if that helps. I've been delaying doing that as I have gotton to the stage of of SH III where I now have a type XXI so I want to play that out.

Also have been playing Shells of Fury but have gotten to 6/1918 which has been fun but am ready to step back to more modern times. Worst case playing a Type IXD can't be all that bad even in the Pacific. Maybe sojounrn over 'Frisco and see what I get