Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-17, 02:17 PM   #1
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Icon14 So you can't host MP lol

For 2 days we were trying to figure this mess out. Had a lot of help from Spaz on the Discord chat.

Here's what happened and we still aren't sure why. A week or so ago Pepe connected to me hosting, just to see if it worked. It worked fine.. Awesome

Yesterday, tried hosting. No one could connect, then Spaz and no one else could connect, and I could connect to Spaz hosting yet no one else could lol..wtf made no sense.

Spaz already had ports forwarded etc.
You need 6073 and 2302-2400 both Tcp/Udp forwarded in your modem/router.

Even tho my firewall has entries for Microsoft DirectPlay8, DW and Steam, with ALL ports open(Tcp/Udp), it stopped working for some reason.
Matter of fact, once last night I turned my FW off and Axloo could connect to me but no one else..Another odd occurrence.

Just a few minutes ago I tried Port Forwarding "again" on my modem/router, and finally got it to work right.
Right after, Spaz connected right to me hosting again.. Awesome x2

In order for this to work correctly with port forwarding, your computer "must" have a static IP address from your cable modem/router whatever.
In a nutshell, it means that your Modem gets it's info from you ISP, then your computer connects to your modem and your modem assigns your computer a Static IP (but you have to set that up first)! Any time your modem resets, your computer will always be given the same IP address so you don't have to worry about that anymore.
You can google how to assign static IP cos there are a lot of different systems and I can't explain them all.

I've been doing static IPs for a long time at home and have a lot of wireless devices connected that way. Dish dvr, phone, tv, surround sound, wireless extender etc., all have static addresses which I assigned in my modem.
Never needed to port forward anything tho, so I learned something new today.

Point being, even tho my firewall might be setup right, may be blocking/unblocking correctly, it STILL screwed up me hosting in DW until I did the port forwarding..
Even tho it worked once before without doing anything special??!?!?!?!?!

Exactly what Spaz told me a few minutes ago. "I bet if you forward those ports it will work" lmao Sure nuff!!
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote