SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-16, 02:23 AM   #1
Wizz
Watch

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default First time inside a submarine - changed my perspective

Hi all,

I wanted to share this experience.

I went through HMAS Onslow (Oberon class - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Onslow) this week (she's docked in Sydney Harbour on display), and I was simply amazed at just how confined it felt being inside.

This might sound strange and even obvious to say, and as a long time fan of submarine warfare history I certainly didn't think it would be capacious, but the feeling inside was amazing, and has really given me a new perspective. I personally have no issue with confined spaces, but how you could hold your nerve in a cramped diesel-electric under sustained depth charging.

I don't post a lot here, but I thought this experience was worth sharing. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 03:26 AM   #2
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43

I had a similar one on HMS Belfast - when down in the engine room I realised just how far it was to the top deck if one needed to abandon ship. Made me appreciate just how scared one would be (well, I would be) working and waiting for a torpedo impact.
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 04:42 AM   #3
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

I had the chance to visit a Tench Class American Submarine. As you said, the living conditions are close and spartan. I'm sure everyone would agree that the crews that manned these vessels were a special breed. I think everyone who visits a Sub, especially a WW2 era diesel electric sub has an appreciation for the crews fortitude and dedication with regards to their living conditions.

Glad you got a chance to visit HMAS Onslow. Glad to also have you aboard Subsim and please post more.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 05:16 AM   #4
Wizz
Watch

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I'm sure everyone would agree that the crews that manned these vessels were a special breed.

Glad you got a chance to visit HMAS Onslow. Glad to also have you aboard Subsim and please post more.
Amen to the special breed. It might sound trite, but I was about
to buy dolphin badge cuff links at the gift shop (I've never served in the Navy) and thought it was borderline inappropriate to wear them; if even discretely. I appreciate what dolphins mean to those who have earned them, so I happily settled on some nice anchors. Sometimes I wonder if I joined the wrong service!

Thanks for the encouragement Wallace! I like to quietly lurk within the forums, and have done so over a few handles since 2003. I do appreciate the dignified pace of the attendees here, and love being a part of it. What a great group!

Last edited by Wizz; 02-20-16 at 05:20 AM. Reason: grammar!
Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 05:45 AM   #5
Dan D
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Well, the fantastic Danish hosts of the last intercontinental subsim meeting in Copenhagen/Denmark made it possible for us attending members to actually dive in a privately built submarine, the legendary UC3 Nautilus
http://uc3nautilus.dk/

I remember doing the first dive with Peter Madsen, Neal Stevens and Limkol.

When the hatches got closed, I felt like „omg, i don't want people to read in the news about me tomorrow „tragic indicent: subsim nerds accidently killed themselves in Copenhagen harbour with real submarine (Darwin award)“ or „day 3: rescue team about to make contact with crew of submarine“.

I even called my wife from inside the sub to tell her what I was about to do, and to say good-bye to her, just in case, later I forgot to call her back because I was so excited.

After closing the hatches (manholes), the ballast tanks were flooded with water and so we went down stern first, it was a trim dive, until we hit the harbour ground. There we sat for a while. Thankfully, we had compressed air onboard to blow the ballast tanks to pop up again.

The moment when I realised that the submarine came off the harbour ground and with its 40 tons weight was slowly hovering in the water, was a relief.

The sound and the feeling from the diesel engine running was great, too. The smell of fresh air and the sunshine was even greater.

@Horsa has documented the dives on video. May be, he or somebody else can repost them.

Dan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 06:46 AM   #6
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

They're not the most spacious of boats the Oberons, makes you realise what the early WWI and WWII submarine crews went through in even smaller boats!
Getting through the hatches between compartments is fun too, our guide demonstrated the traditional swing through, I decided to wuss out and went through sideways.
But yes, a special breed of men, and indeed women in this modern era.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 09:09 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Getting through the hatches between compartments is fun too, our guide demonstrated the traditional swing through, I decided to wuss out and went through sideways.
If I hadn't of previously met you in person I would have been wondering why

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 09:28 AM   #8
August
Wayfaring Stranger

So what's worse?, being trapped in a confined space but sleeping on a warm bunk, wearing clean, dry clothes and eating hot chow?, or sitting in an open foxhole up to your knees in mud, soaked to the bone, wearing the same clothes you've had on for a month while sleet and freezing rain pelts down on your head?
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 10:34 AM   #9
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
So what's worse?, being trapped in a confined space but sleeping on a warm bunk, wearing clean, dry clothes and eating hot chow?, or sitting in an open foxhole up to your knees in mud, soaked to the bone, wearing the same clothes you've had on for a month while sleet and freezing rain pelts down on your head?
It depends a lot about what sub you're talking about. If you where in a rusty old sewer pipe (AKA the S-Boats) you would be lucky to get any of those things mentioned.
Old 02-20-16, 10:54 AM   #10
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I've red in one of my WW2 books how jealous the different units where in an army.
The infantry was jealous of their bomber crew flying overhead due their comfortable non-combat situation and flying up there in their eyes they regarded as less dangerous whilst the bomber crew looked at the infantry with envy as when they get shot at could seek cover in their foxholes whilst their bombers had to stick in formation.

Been stuck in a confined space in a combat situation has a great deal of effect on the human mind I'd wager. I for one would rather be stuck in the mud but at least free to make my own choices in a combat situation when it comes to looking for safe spots to seek cover and in turn help others.
Old 02-20-16, 01:12 PM   #11
limkol
XO

Downloads: 210

Dan D's comments brought me back to the day of the dive in Nautilus. (Hello again Dan!). What I remembered most was the smell of salt water on steel, a sort of rust smell, when we opened the hatch on the surface. You could almost taste it. A memorable experience. And we had only been underwater for a short time, while in peacetime in a friendly port!

Even though I experienced this, I can still not imagine what it would be like to open the hatch of a sub filled with 60 men and the stink, fumes and bad air after surviving a depth charge attack. We are the lucky ones.

Thanks for your post Wizz and sharing your experiences and thoughts
limkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 04:00 PM   #12
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Neuerburg View Post
It depends a lot about what sub you're talking about. If you where in a rusty old sewer pipe (AKA the S-Boats) you would be lucky to get any of those things mentioned.
Maybe, but i'd bet it would still be preferable than the vermin, fleas and phosgene of WW1 trench warfare.

The big difference between the Infantryman and the Flier or the Submariner is that for the Grunt the discomfort and danger is 24/7. Death may be close at times for the latter two but once the depth charges stop dropping or the fighters and AA stop firing life isn't all that bad whereas the suck continues for the Infantryman non stop.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 04:37 PM   #13
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D View Post
Well, the fantastic Danish hosts of the last intercontinental subsim meeting in Copenhagen/Denmark made it possible for us attending members to actually dive in a privately built submarine, the legendary UC3 Nautilus
http://uc3nautilus.dk/

I remember doing the first dive with Peter Madsen, Neal Stevens and Limkol.

When the hatches got closed, I felt like „omg, i don't want people to read in the news about me tomorrow „tragic indicent: subsim nerds accidently killed themselves in Copenhagen harbour with real submarine (Darwin award)“ or „day 3: rescue team about to make contact with crew of submarine“.

I even called my wife from inside the sub to tell her what I was about to do, and to say good-bye to her, just in case, later I forgot to call her back because I was so excited.

After closing the hatches (manholes), the ballast tanks were flooded with water and so we went down stern first, it was a trim dive, until we hit the harbour ground. There we sat for a while. Thankfully, we had compressed air onboard to blow the ballast tanks to pop up again.

The moment when I realised that the submarine came off the harbour ground and with its 40 tons weight was slowly hovering in the water, was a relief.

The sound and the feeling from the diesel engine running was great, too. The smell of fresh air and the sunshine was even greater.

@Horsa has documented the dives on video. May be, he or somebody else can repost them.
Yes, that Subsim meeting will always be special for me and it was an honour to host it and be able to give you guys a real experience in a submarine diving.

If we are lucky, Nautilus will be back in the water this year - Follow her on Facebook.

Heres a video of that day

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 06:45 AM   #14
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

To be honest I've never had any issue been on many submarines (not served on them) including an Oberon class so I can relate but having worked on some ships in the past it was easy for me to do and go anywhere i had no fear i even used to fall asleep in the steering gear room !

I was lucky enough to go to sea on two submarines and dive down HMS Turbulent and Torbay thinking back that was a long time ago !

Inside the Foxtrot by Blair shaw, on Flickr

I didnt find anything at the other end the door was closed! what you dont realise is these tubes are acctually quite long and im not exactly small and even my 140kg friend still had ample room to spare

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 04:29 PM   #15
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

I visited the U.S.S. Bowfin (Balao class) at Pearl Harbour and had the same thought. It has basically the same total area as a mid size family home, but packed with machinery, instruments, torpedoes and 80 men for 2-3 months at a time. Not a place to be claustrophobic.