SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-08, 07:38 AM   #166
Siara
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default pressure hull

Brackets for the pressure hull.

Pressure hull weights a lot , and due to resins nature of "sinking" the support needs to be beefed up a bit.

TBC...

Master Models
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 02:48 PM   #167
Siara
Grey Wolf

2 out of 3 parts in place. The middle bit is goin in after the halves are joined together.

TBC...

Master Models
Old 02-10-08, 07:56 PM   #168
Siara
Grey Wolf

I promissed myself ill put her on the temporary stand this weekend.

...and it just hit me just how huge she was.

Both halves joined together , ready for the glue to set. I must say , for all the hull mangling - the fit was spot on. The seam is perfect , the halves just clicked in position. Im gonna crack open the beer to celebrate.

Master Models
Old 02-10-08, 11:30 PM   #169
Marriott
Torpedoman

Downloads: 19

looking great, cant wait to see the finished boat.
Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 04:36 AM   #170
Siara
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marriott
looking great, cant wait to see the finished boat.
Thank You Marriott.

Nuts fixed inside the hull with CA.

Stern torpedo shoot:

Few more ribs in the area should improve the appearance.

TBC...

Master Models
Old 02-12-08, 03:54 AM   #171
Siara
Grey Wolf

TBC...

Master Models
Old 02-12-08, 06:40 AM   #172
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siara

Nuts fixed inside the hull with CA.

I'm concerned those little bolts will give enough support to that huge hull. It seems like any bending forces would be focused and magnified at the bolt, potentially causing damage. If I were doing it, I'd put a lot of reinforcement at the hull in the area where the bolts are located (i.e., add a couple of strengthening bulkheads immediately fore and aft of the bolt).

For my last large ship project (Heller's 1/100 HMS Victory*), I carved a couple of blocks of wood to fit the inner contour of the hull, epoxied them in place, and ran my bolt holes through the blocks.

(* Well, I haven't exactly completed that project, but it's nearly done. Just needs a couple months more work. I've been saying that for the past 8 years... )
Old 02-12-08, 08:31 AM   #173
Siara
Grey Wolf

Bill i rush to explain.
The hull in the area is 4mm thick and has been reinforced with the strips of styrene. All is set with CA glue. Inside the "cavity" as You can see i have wedged / glued drilled washer made out of brass to stop the nut spining when i tighten the bolt. Underneath i placed the 1,5 cm steel washer between the model and the steel support tube - same as between the wood and steel tube.

Besides it is only "works bench" for when the work is caried out. For final presentation i have purchased brass knobs ( below ) to give it looks and strength.

TBC...

Master Models
Old 02-12-08, 05:33 PM   #174
Siara
Grey Wolf

Steering pushrods , pulls , and steel beam.

It will be barely visible through the 3 stern holes , but still....

TBC...

Master Models
Old 02-12-08, 07:17 PM   #175
gman223
Swabbie

Hi, excellent job on the sub, this might be to late since you have closed the hull up, but www.discountmodels.com can still get the pe set from Yankee Modelworks YKM 7202 which has the grills for the sixteen vents under the tanks. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. And again great job, hope mine comes out half as nice
gman223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 08:07 PM   #176
Siara
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman223
Hi, excellent job on the sub, this might be to late since you have closed the hull up, but www.discountmodels.com can still get the pe set from Yankee Modelworks YKM 7202 which has the grills for the sixteen vents under the tanks. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. And again great job, hope mine comes out half as nice
Thank You gman223 - Ive checked the site , but couldnt find the image of the part. Do You have one?

Stern torpedo tube , the steering mechenisms , and the structural beam in place and finished. I know none will ever bother to have look inside , but i couldnt resist to weather it a little , just to give it slightly "used" look.
And yes i know the boats did not rust below the waterline , in fact the effect is less noticeable in RL./digital fotos tend to overdo this/

TBC...

Master Models
Old 02-13-08, 02:03 AM   #177
gman223
Swabbie

Yeah they dont have any pictures of it on their site. Here is a picture of 4 of the saddletank vent parts on a boat http://www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/U...s/U673_2_2.jpg not mine I'm a long way from that point, sorry its not the whole pe set, I tried taking a picture of my pe, but my camera sucks couldn't get a clear picture, they keep coming out blurred can't make out the peices.
I bought the set for just those 16 vents no other pe set has them. I didn't have any idea what was on the rest of the set . Most of the other parts are dups on the other sets, but this is a small set and pretty cheap considering everything else. Not sure how correct they are but they have to be more accurate than Revells raised rectangles.
From what I can tell this is an old set because nobody anywhere has it and the fret i have is stamped 2004 (just got it monday). Can't even find pictures of it on the net, that one above must be the only picture. I couple weeks ago I gave up looking for this pe set, then just some dumb luck found it looking for something else.
Just to let you know Mark at Discount Models is great to deal with.
gman223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 03:53 AM   #178
Siara
Grey Wolf

Gman223 - You got me going on that 1.
I must say this is exactly the type of constructive comment im on about. Brilliant.

Work started on the vents. Styrene 0.5 mm cut to 1cm/0.8cm/0.5mm.

Insides will be cut away , and wire added to represent grilles.

TBC...

Master Models

Last edited by Siara; 02-14-08 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 01:09 PM   #179
Siara
Grey Wolf

vent project 1.

:hmm:

Master Models
Old 02-14-08, 03:05 PM   #180
von stauber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default what a fanatastic build and thread Siara !!! congrats!! I've been following the build

all along and it has inspired me to give it a go. I'm beginning to gather all the add-ons and I remember a post a bit ago where you mentioned that if you purchase the Nautilus wood deck you need to also purchase an additional item for it to install correctly (yankee pressure hull kit maybe?) did I misunderstand? thanks again for a great thread- not only for all the work you put in building the boot with such detail but the extra time it takes you to photo/upload/post etc is really appreciated!

Tags
model, scale models