SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-16, 09:06 PM   #4441
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmar View Post
I had so much damage on return that it said my Porpoise class boat had to be scrapped and I would get a new one. But the boat I got was a Narwhal class boat.

The Narwhal is an older boat, no? How come the game didn't give me a Porpoise or a newer class boat?
I'm not sure how the game makes that decision, but it makes sense to me. You take out a boat, get it so banged up it needs to be scrapped, and you expect them to give you a shiny new one? Obviously, you can't be trusted with the good toys, so they'll give you an old one to beat up.

I believe the game does take into account what boats were in service on specific dates.
Old 03-07-16, 11:05 PM   #4442
jonmar
Bosun

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0

Yeah, it does make sense, just didn't expect the game to behave as if it made sense :p. I thought I would stay with the same class of boat.

All I did was run into a few submarine nets and get machine gunned by a merchant. It's wasn't my fault! :p
jonmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 02:21 PM   #4443
Araxnid
Nub

Downloads: 26

So, in the beginning of second patrol (december 1941) I have encountered a very big convoy of ships and it concerns me - is that okay or I broke the game? -)

First of all, im using steam version of sh4 + u-boat addon (v1.5) and several mods:
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2.5
TMO_25_SmallPatch
RSRDC_TMO_V205

Im not sure where to post my question, but that convoy look really strange for me. So much ships with only several warships as protection (and they actually went to the north of me and staying there all the day, even after I destroyed 2 ships in the convoy...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o09uec.jpg (45.5 KB, 49 views)
Araxnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 03:38 PM   #4444
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Hi mate: first you need the RSRDC patch (23 April etc).

Try with it!

Good hunt.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 04:03 PM   #4445
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Trigger Maru Overhauled v2.7 is released in its own thread, for better or worse. The ghost of Ducimus may rise up to smite me!
Ducimus is dead? what happened to him?
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 06:28 PM   #4446
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
Ducimus is dead? what happened to him?
Somewhere in this thread he tells us about his retirement of the modding work.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 07:17 PM   #4447
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxnid View Post
So, in the beginning of second patrol (december 1941) I have encountered a very big convoy of ships and it concerns me - is that okay or I broke the game? -)

First of all, im using steam version of sh4 + u-boat addon (v1.5) and several mods:
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2.5
TMO_25_SmallPatch
RSRDC_TMO_V205

Im not sure where to post my question, but that convoy look really strange for me. So much ships with only several warships as protection (and they actually went to the north of me and staying there all the day, even after I destroyed 2 ships in the convoy...)
It's probably just a typo, but the RSRD version that goes with TMO_2.5 is v502, not 205. There is also a patch for the RSRD version 502 that you might add.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-16, 08:28 AM   #4448
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Somewhere in this thread he tells us about his retirement of the modding work.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Phew I though like he is dead dead what a relief
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 09:20 PM   #4449
razark
Ocean Warrior

Ok, this is a problem I haven't run into before, and I didn't see it in a quick search through the thread.

It's mid 1943. My Gar-class boat just returned to port and got an upgrade to the conning tower. It went from the 1st version, with the bathtub AA gun deck, to the 2nd cut down version, with the tub removed, and the second gun mount added.

So now I've got two twin 20mm guns and one 40mm gun, but my 3" deck gun was moved to the forward deck. According the the TMO documentation, the Tambor/Gar classes can only have an aft deck gun. In the crew screen, I show the three AA gun crew slots, but my deck gun crew slots are gone. In addition, since the three AA guns are mounted two on the tower and one on the forward deck, one of my twin 20mm mounts is now rendering inside the deck gun. All of the guns operate properly, but the deck gun is slow to reload, which is normal when there is no crew assigned to it.

Anyone ever run into this? Anyone have any solutions?
It's kind of aggravating, since I've just started playing again after a long break, and I usually didn't get this far into the war back when I did play.

Edit:
I reloaded the game, and I'm still stuck with the forward deck gun, but my Crew Management screen now shows a section for Aft Deck Gun, but there are no slots inside that area. All deck gun options in the equipment selection screen show bow mounting as the only possibility.

Last edited by razark; 03-13-16 at 09:31 PM.
razark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-16, 01:25 PM   #4450
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Ok, this is a problem I haven't run into before, and I didn't see it in a quick search through the thread.

Edit:
I reloaded the game, and I'm still stuck with the forward deck gun, but my Crew Management screen now shows a section for Aft Deck Gun, but there are no slots inside that area. All deck gun options in the equipment selection screen show bow mounting as the only possibility.
Maybe you can adapt one of these:
My typical advice:

It's a common issue, here's a good thread that will help you fix it:

wolfeinsamer's fix for deck gun crew slots disappearing.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=222887

and Coletrains:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121472

also neumanf15's:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121460

Coletrains (post #14) in this thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121472

At least we can fix it now.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-16, 04:59 PM   #4451
razark
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Maybe you can adapt one of these:
Thanks, I'll have to look into these when I get a moment.

Edit:
Dang it.
Got my deck gun and crew back through file editing, and I can load the save file, but when I try to leave on patrol, the game crashes.

Last edited by razark; 03-16-16 at 10:37 PM.
razark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-16, 01:30 PM   #4452
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Thanks, I'll have to look into these when I get a moment.

Edit:
Dang it.
Got my deck gun and crew back through file editing, and I can load the save file, but when I try to leave on patrol, the game crashes.
Oh no, sorry to hear that, I haven't heard of this happening before. In-port saves should work without problems unless a major super-mod is installed on patrol 4 - for example.

If you didn't make a backup in-port save with a different name before editing, try saving it now with a different name, re-start SH4 and see if the new save loads. It might because sometimes a file gets corrupted if it is saved over and over again with the same name.

I always make saves with a different name roughly 8 hours before returning to base just in case, and also to save the patrol data for writing patrol reports with Kim Rønhof's report generator tool if I'm doing that. If I need to save during a patrol I always use a different name like "aanker1, aanker2, etc. and load that new save the next time I want to resume my patrol.

Do you have any saves you can go back to?
Old 03-17-16, 08:43 PM   #4453
razark
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
If you didn't make a backup in-port save with a different name before editing, try saving it now with a different name, re-start SH4 and see if the new save loads. It might because sometimes a file gets corrupted if it is saved over and over again with the same name.

I always make saves with a different name roughly 8 hours before returning to base just in case, and also to save the patrol data for writing patrol reports with Kim Rønhof's report generator tool if I'm doing that. If I need to save during a patrol I always use a different name like "aanker1, aanker2, etc. and load that new save the next time I want to resume my patrol.

Do you have any saves you can go back to?
I have a bad habit of not saving while on patrol. It probably goes back to SHIII, where saving near ships, or underwater, or during a slight breeze, etc. would make things go badly. And SH4 seems to have problems when loading saves on patrol. I can't swear to it, but it seems to me that when I load a save at sea, there's a 50% risk that I won't get credit for half the ship I've sunk. So most of my saves tend to be in port between patrols. (Maybe I need to start trying different names for my saves. I don't like having a lot of extra files cluttering up the load screen, so I do tend to reuse them.)

However:
I am pleased to report that USS Gar (SS-206) is currently offshore of Freemantle, heading for the Lombok Strait enroute to recon an enemy harbor, and that she has a full crew on AA guns and her stern-mounted deck gun. I finally had to cut and paste the crew section of the file from my previous save to get the crew slots back. I only ended up with one duplicate crew member when I was done. Thanks so very much for saving my boat!

Quote:
Oh no, sorry to hear that, I haven't heard of this happening before. In-port saves should work without problems unless a major super-mod is installed on patrol 4 - for example.
COMSUBSOWESPAC is certain that the failure is not in any way related to the installation of the RSRD Campaign for an S-Boat career, and the fact that the save loads properly after removing this mod is simply a coincidence. The Mark 6 Exploder... uh, I mean save file is working perfectly as designed.
Old 03-18-16, 04:22 PM   #4454
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
However:
I am pleased to report that USS Gar (SS-206) is currently offshore of Freemantle, heading for the Lombok Strait enroute to recon an enemy harbor, and that she has a full crew on AA guns and her stern-mounted deck gun. I finally had to cut and paste the crew section of the file from my previous save to get the crew slots back. I only ended up with one duplicate crew member when I was done. Thanks so very much for saving my boat!
Phew! Glad to hear you're back in business.

Happy Hunting USS GAR!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Old 04-04-16, 05:52 AM   #4455
Tromp
Watch

Downloads: 6

I was wondering if the British T Class can be played in TMO. I would love try some different submarines if possible.
Tromp is offline   Reply With Quote