SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-15, 08:35 PM   #1
JT1981
Planesman

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0
Default The range of the target about the OTC MOD....

Here is my mod list:
TMO 2.5
TMO 25 small patch
RSRDC TMO v502
RSRDC V5xx patch1
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 8 to 5 RSRDCv502

i found i have some problem about estimating the range of the target,,,it is more shorter when use the otc mod......why?

my mods order is wrong?
JT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 11:56 PM   #2
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Hi JT1981

I saw your post in the SH4 regular section which reads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1981
today,i have found a ijn's merchant,Akita Maru,and i use the stadimeter,and read the range is 700m,(but the real distance is 1400m),,,so i estimate the speed ,which is 5knots,(but real speed is 8knots).....i fired many terpedos,,but nothing...so i rechecked the data from sonar,,i found the reason why i cant hit,,,because the distance is not right...

i resume the game,and begain a sub school mission,,the torpedo training mission,,,i used the stadimeter to estimate the range of the crusier,,but this time the range is correct....i am confused....why....

and how could i fix the error of the stadimeter?
When I read this post today I decided to look for myself. I was just about to answer your first post when I see you've started another here. I think I can answer your questions.

I have the following mods Activated thru JSGME:

Since you have stated your using the metric system, I recommend adding the "1.5_OTC_Metric Tools" to your list. It's in the OTC Optional Mods group.

I made a test mission with the Akita Maru positioned 1400 meters away from a Gato sub. I changed my screen resolution to match the same Aspect Ratio your using (8:5) and started the game.

Since I'm not looking over your shoulder, I'm only guessing at a couple of things. I'm guessing you have the correct Resolution/Aspect Ratio set in the games Graphic Options page. You have the Resolution set at either the 1680x1050; the 1440x900; or the 1280x800 setting, giving you an 8:5 Aspect Ratio. I'm also guessing you have the correct unit of measurement option set to Metric, not Authentic, or Imperial.

I'm also guessing you have read the instructions on how to use the OTC mod. Reading the basic "Optical Targeting Correction Read-Me", under the "How to Use" section, has a general description of things like where's the Omnimeter; how do you use the Nomograph; how do you use the Recognition Manual; the Range Dial; the Radar etc. There are even more in depth instructions found in the "Documents" folder of the OTC mod. I'm hoping you understand what's stated there, and followed the instructions.

I'm also guessing you know that there is a whole different set of Game Play Options either for a Single Mission, or if your playing a Campaign game.....other than the "Options" found at the Main Game Menu Screen. The options for a Single Mission is found along the bottom of the Mission Select Screen under the heading of "Realism". The game options for a Campaign game is found in the Captain's Office, on the Left bookcase.....it's the "Radio" on the top shelf. Either way, if you want certain options like choosing Unit of Measurement, you'll need to do it again at one of these extra options menus.

Now my Akita test mission.

If your playing with Manual Targeting Enabled, You'll need to select the correct target through the Recognition Manual after making a good identification of it. You need to have the target centered in the scope, then mouse click the Check Box in the upper right corner of the RM page. This will send the Akita's info....like its Name to the top of the Position Keeper (as I've got it circled below), AND it sends the reference height to the Torpedo Data Computer (TDC) for getting ready to take a Stadimeter measurement.

You'll notice the OTC RM has the Height: at 15.9 meters (when using the Metric System). This Height measurement is based on the Akita's funnel top used for the Height reference point (OTC has all Height reference points marked in red, or uses the top of the National Flag as the Height reference point). You need to make sure you choose the correct reference point when taking the Stadimeter reading!

Since I'm going to check both the Stadimeter findings, AND the use of the Periscope Telemeter marks with the Omnimeter for Range estimates, I pulled up the Omnimeter, setting the lower Telemeter slider "Red Triangle Mark" to the Akita's Height figure of 15.9 meters.

Even though I made the test mission to have the Akita at about 1400 meters away from the sub, I still went to the Sonar Station and sent a "Ping" to target, then sent the info to the PK. The accurate Sonar measurement is shown in the PK Range of 1398 meters:

So, lets check the Telemeter/Omnimeter method of finding range. I high lighted the lower marks so we can see them better. Placing a horizontal Telemeter mark at the waterline of the target, count the divisions to the top of the funnel. Somewhere between 2 1/2, and 2 3/4 divisions. Now, with the slider still set to the Height of 15.9 meters, the 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 "High Power" scale (because we're using the high power magnification of the scope) reads just slightly less than 1400 meters Range. That's really close to being perfect!

OK, we are ready to test the Stadimeter:

After placing the Stadimeter's second water line image onto the Akita's reference point (Funnel Top), the reading is 1390. That's "close enough for government work" (as we used to say)!!

I don't see anything wrong with the Stadimeter or Telemeter/Omnimeter methods. Their both very accurate. I even took the sub out to 2500 meters distance....still very accurate.

========================

One thing I want to point out is that it takes very little to throw off a range finding with the Stadimeter. Compare the next two images of Stadimeter readings, with where the waterline is positioned and what the resulting Range is shown on the PK:

What this shows is that just one twitch of the mouse when making a left click to "set" the waterline is all it takes to have a 36 meter swing in range finding.....at only a 1400 meter distance to target. For the most part, just comparing the three Stadimeter images above doesn't seem to be any difference between them....but there is. Copy the above images and put them into a viewer like PhotoShop will show you what I mean. The differences are indeed there between the one pixel width and another if you jump between the three images quickly. It's like thumbing through a group of still images, you'll see the difference in height adjustment as you move through the images quickly. This one pixel difference is multiplied even greater in Range finding when the target is at a greater distance from the sub. The farther away, the greater the difference in Range innacuracy you'll get.

Of course JT, you state there's a 700 meter difference in your findings. That's something I can't explain....but maybe you can?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 01-28-15 at 12:47 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote