SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-17, 01:46 AM   #1
Noeme
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default (Cold Waters) Active sonar evasion theory

Hey Guys

So I had this theory, that since Active sonar is sound waves bouncing back to to its source, being near the ocean floor (eg. 50 feet above) could protect me from being detected by active sonar (since the return time of the waves would be ~identical).

However, I dont have any succes with this tactic, which made me question wether my theory is wrong, or the game doesn't model this.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Noeme; 12-12-17 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Game specific
Noeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 03:27 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

For knowing if you are detected or not, watch the last 3 lines in the 'Signature' tab, if all numbers are negative you are undetected, if one or more are positive you are about - or are - detected. There is a +10 threshold between first contact detection and re-gaining contact (meaning that there is a marge of 10 in your favor for the enemy making a first contact on you).

Being near the bottom has no effect in dodging active sonars I think, at least I couldn't see that I remain undetected, and this is ok, because any ping on you is reflected wether you move or not. Then, it's the sonarman's job to discern a big rock and a sub on the ground, and I wouldn't really bet that he is stupid, so you better move your 2 cents tonnage away

MAD devices on planes will however detect you for sure, wether you are quiet or not, wether you are at 0 knots at the bottom or not: these devices work with magnetic variance detection, thus pointing to any object underwater. Be glad that they only have a detection range of 400 yards (meaning a plane overflying you will detect you).
Sonobuoys are a little different because working with sonars: they have an effective range of about 4-5 kyds, so you need to leave this range to become undetected again.

Cheers,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-12-17 at 03:51 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote