SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-17, 12:42 PM   #5536
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitramS View Post
Absolutely loving it. One issue I saw mentioned a lot, and I had as well, was that I couldn't fire torpedoes, so to help anyone who reads this later with the same issue; PRESS Q TO OPEN THE TORPEDO TUBE, THEN FIRE.

Great mod, and I look forward to any future updates!

Welcome aboard, Nitrams. Happy to have you with us.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 09:49 PM   #5537
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129

I found it's interesting that the key 'T' has been changed to turn on/off air search radar instead of raise or low it. What's the main idea of this function change? Is it means the enemy aircraft may have radar counter-measure equipment so they can detect player's submarine if player has turned on his air search radar?
Old 12-11-17, 10:33 PM   #5538
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1783
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzBegonia View Post
I found it's interesting that the key 'T' has been changed to turn on/off air search radar instead of raise or low it. What's the main idea of this function change? Is it means the enemy aircraft may have radar counter-measure equipment so they can detect player's submarine if player has turned on his air search radar?
It's so you can get out of your base without air contacts always slowing down your TC settings.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 08:37 AM   #5539
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
It's so you can get out of your base without air contacts always slowing down your TC settings.
Alright.....
Old 12-12-17, 11:20 AM   #5540
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
I found it's interesting that the key 'T' has been changed to turn on/off air search radar instead of raise or low it. What's the main idea of this function change?
As was said, the air search radar from the stock game never turned off when surfaced. If you had the antenna above water it was "on" constantly giving you detected reports of aircraft....friend or foe. Players suggested that having the ability to turn the air search radar "on/off" (as you can do with the surface search) you could stay surfaced with your boat, and not be hounded by detected friendly aircraft dropping your Time Compression setting to zero. It only seemed logical to allow the player to choose if he wished the radar to be "on/off" while surfaced, so it was reproduced in-game.

To have either air search or surface search radar operational while submerged, you have to go to Radar Depth (which puts the antenna's above the water line), and make sure their turned "on".

Important: You may need to adjust the depth of the sub manually in order to keep the antenna's above water during higher wind speeds that produce heavy sea's. If the surface search units (PPI or A-Scope) turn "off/on" unexpectedly, the trouble is more likely due to the antenna's being too close to the water line. Raise your depth by a couple of yards.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 04:22 PM   #5541
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
As was said, the air search radar from the stock game never turned off when surfaced. If you had the antenna above water it was "on" constantly giving you detected reports of aircraft....friend or foe. Players suggested that having the ability to turn the air search radar "on/off" (as you can do with the surface search) you could stay surfaced with your boat, and not be hounded by detected friendly aircraft dropping your Time Compression setting to zero. It only seemed logical to allow the player to choose if he wished the radar to be "on/off" while surfaced, so it was reproduced in-game.

To have either air search or surface search radar operational while submerged, you have to go to Radar Depth (which puts the antenna's above the water line), and make sure their turned "on".

Important: You may need to adjust the depth of the sub manually in order to keep the antenna's above water during higher wind speeds that produce heavy sea's. If the surface search units (PPI or A-Scope) turn "off/on" unexpectedly, the trouble is more likely due to the antenna's being too close to the water line. Raise your depth by a couple of yards.
Yeah I see...... BTW the periscope depth order of S class boat sometimes doesn't work in bad sea condition. Perhaps because of the S boat has shallower periscope depth that fleet boats, when you order periscope depth the boat won't dive at all, you have to order a deeper depth e.g. 60 feets, then order periscope depth after the boat has fully submerged.....
Old 12-13-17, 07:52 AM   #5542
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Yeah I see...... BTW the periscope depth order of S class boat sometimes doesn't work in bad sea condition. Perhaps because of the S boat has shallower periscope depth that fleet boats, when you order periscope depth the boat won't dive at all, you have to order a deeper depth e.g. 60 feets, then order periscope depth after the boat has fully submerged.....
Hmmm... How "rough" of seas are we talking here? Do you have any other mods installed with Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate? Did you empty your Save folder prior to activating FotRSU? It should dive just fine to PD when you press the "P" key. Don't forget though, the crew can't open the valves all of the way, since the boat actually barely changes level, just enough to get under the water, so it takes longer to go under, and the rough seas add to that. I'd guess you're looking at a minute and a half??... Let us know!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 08:44 AM   #5543
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Hmmm... How "rough" of seas are we talking here? Do you have any other mods installed with Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate? Did you empty your Save folder prior to activating FotRSU? It should dive just fine to PD when you press the "P" key. Don't forget though, the crew can't open the valves all of the way, since the boat actually barely changes level, just enough to get under the water, so it takes longer to go under, and the rough seas add to that. I'd guess you're looking at a minute and a half??... Let us know!
Hmmmmm... I added ISP's submarine .sim files upon FOTRS and that maybe the reason because ISP changes the submarine diving performance. I know it takes time to get under the water especially in rough sea condition, but I'm sure my S-boat's PD order doesn't work in this case because...... Just give an example, I order the boat 'new depth 65 ft' and the it begin to dive, then I order periscope depth before the sub fully submerged, it would bounce up and back to the surface again immediately....
Old 12-13-17, 09:26 AM   #5544
propbeanie

Just to let you know, ISP does not have even half of the ships that are in FotRSU, so besides borking other things, it doesn't "improve" most of what is there anyway, so it is highly recommended that you back the ISP off, and then see how your boat performs diving. I do have a video uploading as we speak, which YouTube says "59 minutes left", so it might be ready in a couple of hours... - in it, I've got a few test dives in an S Boat with 15 knot winds. I'll also post with my dive & surface test times at Ahead One Third and Ahead Standard, and my boat is under the water and at PD in less than 44 seconds in all cases - which, that isn't quite right either for an S Boat, although I do have the ~best~ boat crew on the face of the earth... I'll post with a link in a while.

Old 12-13-17, 11:58 AM   #5545
propbeanie

OK, I'm back, and magically, ToobYoot is finished uploading my video:

This is 15 knot weather only. I should have clicked on the stopwatch a moment before pressing my P or S key, but just add a second to the times of:

S-18 Manila Start Dive Tests
  1. Calm Weather
    A. Ahead 1/3 = 35 secs to 40 ft - 42 secs to PD - 29s to surface
    B. Ahead Standard = 28s to 40 ft - 36s to PD - 22s to surface
  2. Twelve Knot Winds
    A. Ahead 1/3 = 33s to 40 ft - 44s to PD - 26s to surface
    B. Ahead Standard = 33s to 40 ft - 44s to PD - 26s to surface
  3. Fifteen Knot Winds

Myself, I'm suspicious of my times, since they're too fast (even though I do have the best crew), but we'll look into that aspect.

Old 12-13-17, 03:06 PM   #5546
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
OK, I'm back, and magically, ToobYoot is finished uploading my video:

This is 15 knot weather only. I should have clicked on the stopwatch a moment before pressing my P or S key, but just add a second to the times of:

S-18 Manila Start Dive Tests
  1. Calm Weather
    A. Ahead 1/3 = 35 secs to 40 ft - 42 secs to PD - 29s to surface
    B. Ahead Standard = 28s to 40 ft - 36s to PD - 22s to surface
  2. Twelve Knot Winds
  3. Fifteen Knot Winds

Myself, I'm suspicious of my times, since they're too fast (even though I do have the best crew), but we'll look into that aspect.
Thank you so much for the video. Cool!
I disabled ISP and it works. However I have same feeling with you that the diving time maybe too fast, especially when the boat is submerged. I noticed that in ISP the submarines usually spend less time to submerge from surface than the stock, but much more time to maneuver under the surface. For instance, in stock you will need only 1'19'' to dive to 180 ft from periscope depth at 5 kn, but it will take you 2'46'' to do the same thing in ISP.
Old 12-13-17, 03:29 PM   #5547
propbeanie

It might be that ISP makes the water thicker, so it's more difficult to sink - more salination??...

Bad joke, I know - sorry, won't happen again, until the next time.

Old 12-13-17, 04:18 PM   #5548
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214
Uploads: 0

Did you try the Webster´s mod for pigboats? Using it in GFO, the times of diving and surface seem accurate (as real as gets...).

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 04:35 PM   #5549
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
It might be that ISP makes the water thicker, so it's more difficult to sink - more salination??...

Bad joke, I know - sorry, won't happen again, until the next time.
I only concern about if those boats really performed like this way in history. It shouldn't be an issue about salination () but about accelerations. Is such a thousands tons colossus underwater able to accelerate to a higher diving speed (vertical acceleration) and stop diving at a certain depth in a short time (vertical minus-acceleration)? Or more specifically, is the boat able to make up enough density-contrast with the seawater, engine power and diveplane's fluid force to provide the force for acceleration? As we all know the formula acceleration=force/mass.....
Old 12-13-17, 05:26 PM   #5550
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Did you try the Webster´s mod for pigboats? Using it in GFO, the times of diving and surface seem accurate (as real as gets...).

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Hmmm... worth looking into, eh? I'll see where the differences are, at least.